• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Interview Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdkahuna

Need help. What did you say when they asked you these questions.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years.

Why do you want to be an officer instead of a Chief?

Whats the difference between a Chief and an Officer.

Thanks for all in this forum and those who help me.

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
My advice is : Think AMBITION but use humility. Nobody can answer these for you. They aren't looking for canned answers, they want to know that you comprehend the question and can give an intelligent answer! Make them understand why you answer the way you do. I will say that a chief (a good chief) can make or break a J.O.'s career, and look good doing either!

AT1 (soon to be) Indoc Candidate Harrison

Fatboy

pilot
I applied for BOOST twice, made it the second time. The first officer interview I had I think I looked pretty stupid. Mostly, becuase I was an E3 with no time on a ship and really had no idea what the difference between being an officer and a chief. My enthusiasm was good but just not enough knoweldge. After a year on the ship I had another board. This helped becuase I had a good reputation, they all knew me. Unlike at A school when none of the officers had ever met me. Just a side note, I was pissed when I didn't make it the first time. But going to the ship first was probablly the best thing that could of happened (looking back...it sucked while I was there).

Okay where do you see yourself in 5 years. Well your on this site so I would say, a degree, and a commission working through flight school.

Ten years? Think career! Do not say out flying civilialns for a major airline!

Why do you want to be an officer instead of a chief? My answer was becuase I wanted to have the oppurtunity to make a difference and I thought I could do that better as an officer than as a chief. Meaning I could effect more lives as an officer than as a chief. Another answer would be to fly. But think leadership issues on this one.

Whats the difference between a chief and an officer? Hmmm, thats kinda like whats the difference between a sports car and a pickup truck. Here is one analogy. A clock. While the hands of the clock would be the officer. Much more visable, easy to tell if the clock is telling the right time or wrong time. But who does all the work, the gears, the enlisted people (not entireley true but all the physical work anyway). Well without that spring or battery that makes those gears turn the hands of the clock will never show the right time. The chief is the battery or spring (I like spring better).

Hope this helps.

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
Originally posted by sdkahuna
Ok but how would you guys answer each question?
You need to think about these questions and answer the way you feel. They might not ask any of these questions, so be prepared for anything. I was asked what was more important for an officer, taking care of your people or completing the mission. When I sat on JSOQ boards I would ask a "what do you think" question and almost always a chain of command question. Know who the SECNAV and CNO are. Hanford Johnson is acting SECNAV and Admiral Vern Clark is the CNO, he is a SWO by the way.

Harrison

STA21pilot

Boards are tough business man. I got asked...

Why do you want to be an officer? (The million dollar question)

Why do you want to be in a high risk job with a family behind you?

How would you feel if you didn't get accepted to be a Pilot but as a SWO? (A good question coming from a room full of SWOs, just don't say, SWOs suck!!! SWOs don't get dropped from their officer school and become Pilot's!!! HA! )

What is an officer's responsiblity to his division, department, and wardroom??? (Wardroom hugh, WTF! How am I supposed to know, I can't even go in the F---ing wardroom!)

I guess you just gotta keep up with whatever positive vibe you got goin, and go ahead and take a few seconds before you rattle something off. Unless you've had it prepared. Show some tact.

digger

There is a speed limit when taxing officer?
If you are applying for OCS Interviews can be conducted one on one. I am not to sure about the other programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.