• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

'Odds' Question

RS4NAVY

If anyone has a few moments to shed some insight, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I was just wondering what my 'odds' are for being selected. I am currently studying for the ASTB and plan to take it in the next few weeks. *PS.. does anyone know of any great tools/books for the math section?*

I am..

24 (not 23.. I caught the error last night but was way too tired to fix it... married, father, for whatever any of that is worth... nothing, I'm sure.. Correction: worth much to me, lol.. but does it matter to the Navy?)
'03 Bachelors in Business Mgmt. GPA 3.2
I need to get down about 5 more lbs, which I plan to do before taking the ASTB anyway
Several state/city honors and awards

My recruiter had said that I am would 'qualify' for Supply

Also, I had a question about when I begin preparing my package (assuming that my ASTB score is good).. moreso, about LOR's.. I am not clear about who it is best to get LOR's from. I can choose from:

Uncle (retired master chief, still works with Navy information families and such)
Wife's sister's husband (brother in law).. 12 years in as an officer I believe, he is a Lt. Commander (last I checked).. nuke officer (million degrees in subjects of physics that I can hardly pronounce.. haha) I have actually never met him, since they have been stationed in HI for some time.. but, my wife and SIL are very close, so I am assuming that he'd have no problem with it
Cousin (officer in marines, unsure of rank)
Cousin (now marine reserves, however- she is in politics)
Above cousin's husband (now out of marines, now working at Stennis Space Center)
College Professors
Perhaps Small hometown mayor
Current employer or district manager (retail management)
Or... ?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
You can also try a search under "chances"... :)

23 (married, father, for whatever any of that is worth... nothing, I'm sure)

Of course it's worth something...not for the military, but it is to your kid!

Uncle (retired master chief, still works with Navy information families and such)
Wife's sister's husband (brother in law).. 12 years in as an officer I believe, he is a Lt. Commander (last I checked).. nuke officer (million degrees in subjects of physics that I can hardly pronounce.. haha) I have actually never met him, since they have been stationed in HI for some time.. but, my wife and SIL are very close, so I am assuming that he'd have no problem with it
Cousin (officer in marines, unsure of rank)
Cousin (now marine reserves, however- she is in politics)
Above cousin's husband (now out of marines, now working at Stennis Space Center)
College Professors
Perhaps Small hometown mayor
Current employer or district manager (retail management)

As for LORs, I'd try to eliminate family, including cousins. Then put anyone O-5 and above (Lt. Col in Marines/AirForce/Army, Commander in Navy/Coastie) at the top of the list, then followed by Civic leaders (mayor) then employer (go for the highest level of management, ie CEO/CFO, that knows you) then try your professors...or better yet, the Dean of the school...if you can.

Just a few hints. Good luck

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good post by Chunks. To address the "odds" questions, nobody here can tell you what your odds are. There are far too many variables involved. I can tell you what your odds of getting selected are if you don't apply though. Zero.

Wankertank

Free Hat!
My recruiter had said that I am would 'qualify' for Supply

You could qualify for more than just supply. Its tough to know what you are competitive for without having ASTB grades, but your GPA suggests you could go pilot, NFO or for many other communities based on how your test scores look.

RS4NAVY

Thanks so much, guys. I was actually really interested in going nuke for a long time... but the recruiter seemed to totally run over the subject when I mentioned it. Now, I just plan to study my butt off. Somehow, I have forgotten all of the math that I learned in college... how does that happen? lol

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
... but the recruiter seemed to totally run over the subject when I mentioned it.

Little insider info here: It's because he's got a sheet that tells him what he's supposed to recruit...you wanna be a bubblehead...be a bubblehead. Or at least try...

~D

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Do you mind if I ask what a Nuke SWO 'is' exactly? I am trying to get all of the acronyms down.

Nuke SWO = Creature stuck inside an aircraft carrier. They don't see the sun much and don't seem to enjoy life! ( i am finishing up SWO week in san diego )

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you mind if I ask what a Nuke SWO 'is' exactly? I am trying to get all of the acronyms down.
It's a Surface Warfare Officer who has been through the nuclear power pipeline (same one as Submariners go through). As a nuke SWO (aka surface nuke), you will in essence, be a SWO. There's really no such thing as "going nuke" in the sense that it is its own unrestricted line community (e.g SWO, Aviation, Submariners, SEAL, EOD).

HighDimension said:
Nuke SWO = Creature stuck inside an aircraft carrier. They don't see the sun much and don't seem to enjoy life! ( i am finishing up SWO week in san diego)
SWO's do two tours as a division officer. If they stay in to do their department head tours, they do two of those as well. Normally, a nuke SWO will do their first division officer tour on a small boy (frigate, destroyer, cruiser) in a non-engineering billet (i.e. weapons, combat systems, operations). After the completion of their first tour (18 months), they'll go through the nuke power pipeline (power school and prototype....about 12 months) and then go to an aircraft carrier to do their nuke division officer tour for 24 months. It is a demanding job, no doubt. Some love it, others hate it....same with any other profession. Carriers have two nuclear propulsion plants. For each plant there is a Propulsion Plant Watch Officer (PPWO) who is responsible for the safe operation of that particular plant. Guess who the PPWO is? It's the guy on his nuke divo tour.

Now, if a nuke stays in for the department head tours, they have to do one DH tour on a small boy again (in a non-engineering billet) and then they go back to the carrier for their second DH job (Principal Assistant on the carrier).

So in essence, you are only "stuck" on the carrier for two tours. Other than that, you follow the same career path as the rest of the SWO community.