• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ocs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

l7le

**threadjack/rant about enlisted recruiters**I wish I had known about this site before i even bothered with my original recruiter. While I was finishing my senior year in college, I dropped by a recruiting office in Mira Mesa(SD) with my friend. I didn't know that if you wanted to be an officer, you could go talk to a officer recruiter. So the first thing right after we say we're interested about the Navy, he tells us to take a practice ASVAB. We both ace it and he looks like he's hit the jackpot or something. Next thing we know, we're both going to a testing center and taking the actual ASVAB. So we freak out cuz this is going pretty fast and we start backtracking. We then ask him questions like what kind of jobs did we qualify for, and he wouldn't go into any specifics on the jobs but just kept telling us all the monetary benefits. Then we ask him how you get commissioned as an officer. He of course tells us you need a college degree, but then he tells us "Oh just enlist, you enter as an E-3, make E-4 6 months later, then you can try for then try to get your CO to reccomend you for commissioning." Never once did he mention that OCS existed. Then we ask the reservist question (This is why i'm ranting, the mention of the reserves reminded me of this occasion.) and he tells us that you can't join the reserves until you've done active duty. So he kept on raising red flags in our head.

He kept telling us how in the Navy you can take all these classes to get college credit and he showed us his "file" that said he took some refridgeration repair class...and how he just bought a new house cuz of the navy and how we should join because we weren't really a part of the war and hence a lesser mortality rate. Then my friend mentions that he was looking into the medical field, and the recruiter mentions navy hospital corpsmen and tries to discourage him. Later when my friend had to go outside for a phone call, the recruiter looks at me and tells me that my friend is crazy for wanting to be a hospital corpsmen cuz they get deployed with the marines and you might die.

I dunno, after that day, it felt kinda shady. So he kept calling us and we kept telling him we wanted to finish college first and decide. I still have his card here somewhere.

**Anyways, end threadjack and rant**

Pilotswimmer

reservist

I was a 3rd class PO in the reserves and am now going to ocs in April. I just went to a recruiter and applied like everyone else. The only problem was a bit of a paperwork nightmare to get released from the reserves. As they say, the Navy floats on a sea of paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.