• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS-questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

patbate

Hello All,
Nice place you got here.

I have a couple of questions about OCS that I am hoping you can help me with:
About me, I am a 32 college graduate. I have no military background and I am employed in hi-tech.
I am interested in OCS and Naval Intelligence (I know this board is for pilots, but everyone seems to be civil and knowledgeable and many of you would have experience with OCS)

My questions:

-How old was the oldest, non-military, OC in your OCS class. Did they seem to fair well with the younger students?

-What is the attrition rate of OCS and is there a quota of people that must fail the course?
In other words, if a candidate is successful in OCS can he still be dismissed just because someone must be dismissed? Or, is it possible for an entire class to pass through OCS?

I ask, not because I plan to fail, I would just hate to be "struck by lightening"- failed because someone must fail.
Thanks.

vicki

Welcome to our humble abode. All jokes about Naval intelligence being an oxymoron aside, I graduated OCS with an intell type who had her 31st birthday in OCS. Because intell isn't a line officer (it is restricted), the age limits are higher than for us pilot types.

There are lots of "older" (ie 28+) folks who go through OCS. They tend to do very well because they're responsible, mature, and really want to be there. They all had lives before they came to OCS so they gave something up to be there, rather than just graduating from college and going to OCS because they can't think of anything else to do.

There is no set number of people that must attrite from OCS. In theory, everyone could graduate. In fact, most people do. I think there is some confusion about the difference between rolling and attriting. Many people roll or are sent back a class or two or five, but they eventually graduate. Very few people attrite from the program. Of those that do, most are DOR (drop on request). During my time at OCS I only know of two people who left on a non-voluntary basis (unless they were medically disqualified). Hope this helps.

PS You still have time to see the light and FLY NAVY!

shane

Hey,

I just graduated OCS and was writing in response to some of your questions. I had a couple guys 32 and 34 in my class but they were both prior service. The older guys did just as well (struggling some on PT) but were overall respected and liked by the class. They won't kick you out unless you do something REALLY bad and then you might be able to plead to stay. Some get attrited but many just fail evolutions and roll to the next class or the next or the next...Hope this helps. I am an Intel designator and will be starting school on 10 Sept in Dam Neck, VA. I'll try to keep checking this to answer more questions.

Shane

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
As far as age, you must be commisioned before your 35 bday. This is set by congress.

Dave

patbate

Thanks for the response everyone. This is the type of info that I am looking for.
Vicki, you hit it on the head when you said,"They all had lives before they came to OCS so they gave something up to be there"..I realize that everyone makes sacrifices to be at OCS. But as an "old guy" my biggest worry is giving up a career, only t0 be dropped for something beyond my control.
More questions:
-Vicki, you mentioned that people are dropped at OCS for medical reasons. Aren't there medeical evaluations before arriving? SHouldnt the problmes have been discovered? Are they dropped from the whole program or just, say, the pilot program, which has certain required physical qualifications?

Shane- Im glad to know you are there. I anticipate a lot of questions for you. I will gather my thoughts and start a new thread,since intel is "off topic" is will mention that in the thread title.

About the age thing:"As far as age, you must be commisioned before your 35 bday."- this means that you must have completed OCS by your 35th bday. Right?

vicki

Yes, there is a medical evaluation at MEPs before you even get to OCS where most things medical are caught. Then you get another physical your first week at OCS where a few other things are caught. You are right though, it is usually pilots or SEAL designators that get the NAMI Whammie. Most others escape unscathed.

The real problem that is beyond your control is getting hurt at OCS. People break at OCS, especially older people. It is a constant struggle to decide "am I hurting or am I injured?". If you are injured you need to say something so that you can get appropriate treatment and not make the situation worse, but if you're only hurting you need to suck it up. The reason for this being that going "med down" is the fastest way to roll and believe me, nobody wants to be at OCS any longer than they have to be.

I cannot emphasize enough - make sure you're in good physical shape before you go down to OCS. The running kills alot of people - shin splints and stress fractures take out more candidates than academics, inspections, and swim combined. You are running on an unforgiving road, not a cushioned track, and you're running 5 days a week. Make sure your body can take it in an environment when you can work up to it slowly (at home) before your training schedule has to meet your Class Drill Intructor's.

And for the last question, yes OCS graduation = commissioning. I don't think you'll regret it if you go to OCS. I have a doctorate and was making three times what I earn as an Ensign, but I'm happier now that I've ever been in my whole life. Going to the Navy was the wisest decision I've made. Good luck.

magnum

Vicki-

Is the OCS physical considered your first official physical? Is this going to be my flight physical? The reason I ask is I do not want the NAMI WHAMMIE. I did not have the opportunity to go to ACES. I begin OCS on Jan 12, 2002.

marcb747

Hello All,

I'm glad I came across this website. I'm very impressed with the camaraderie within this virtual community.

Patbate, I'm glad you brought up the issue.
I also currently work in high-tech and am 29 yrs. old. One of my biggest dilemma is whether or not to give up my high tech career for the Navy. I'm glad vicki mentioned, and I quote:

"I don't think you'll regret it if you go to OCS. I have a doctorate and was making three times what I earn as an Ensign, but I'm happier now that I've ever been in my whole life. Going to the Navy was the wisest decision I've made. Good luck.

This just reinforces my motivation to join.
I also have an MS degree, and granted that I'll be making less salary, at least finally I get to be part of a TEAM.

See you in OCS!

nickou23

Vicki,
I know you went to ACES before OCS, from what I saw, the people who got their physicals at ACES prior to OCS just had to sign some stuff and were done (after maybe a dental exam), did I miss something or is that about it? I'm just hoping to get out of another nerve-wracking physical. Also, I noticed recently on the OCS web page some more specific swim requirements. How difficult were these? Its been a little while since I went swimming, mostly running these days. Thanks.
BTW, just for you....Hook 'em.

vicki

Mmmm... the weather's beautiful - good time for a BEVO BBQ!

I had an ACES physical, so for my OCS physical I had to say that I hadn't been sick since the last physical, read the eye chart (might have been bc of my PRK, but not sure)and pee in the cup. That's it.

The swimming at OCS is no big deal. I'm an average to below avarage swimmer and I passed easily. API on the other hand, will be a whole different ball of wax.

Gig 'em Aggies!!

Dave Shutter

quote:... your first "flight physical" will be the one you take during your first week of OCS...Matt Stevenson.

Matt: are you saying that SNA/SNFO's get the full NOMI treatment their first week of OCS. If so then that's good news. I didn't want to wait until API (after I've already been sworn in for 4 yrs) to find out I'm NPQ'd over something little that wasn't pointed out in MEPS.

(OC) Shutter SNA, 60 days to poopie week!

Jeff29

Science Project
The poopie week physicals are one of the things that irked me more than anything, so I'll leave my two cents here.

People get left behind for stupid reasons. You'll have a class of 40+ people all being herded through physicals, and the docs don't have time to give anyone special treatment. I saw people get rolled because they didn't have the guts to speak up, or didn't have an indoc staff member who was on the ball.

As an example: I had a poopie who was going to get rolled because he needed his wisdom teeth pulled. There was no immediate problem, but he needed it done before API. He could have had it done during Christmas break, when he was a candi-o, or even while waiting for API. So, when I took him to get the teeth pulled, I asked the surgeon if he could wait until one of these times--no problem. Unfortunately the surgeon was an O-5 and the doc who ordered the surgery was an O-6 so he got all bent out of shape that I "went behind his back", threatened to write me up, blah, blah, blah, ordered me to down the poopie and show up the next morning for surgery. Well, that afternoon the poopie's were running their in-PRT and the CO of Naval Aviation Schools Command came out to watch. When he saw that there were a few guys not participating in the warm-ups he called me over and asked me what was going on. I told him the story, and he told me to have them all run the PRT, NOT take the one guy to surgery, and that he would take care of it. As a side note, my class officer told me that the last given order is considered the standing order, so the O-6 had no right to be upset after the O-5 changed the diagnosis.

In retrospect, this may not have been the smartest thing to do, but I had a friend rolled from my class for the same reason and it was just ridiculous.

The lesson here is if you think that something is not right during your physical, speak up. Be respectful, but don't roll because you're scared (you will be scared). Also, don't count on the indoc staff catching anything; they have 40+ people to worry about. Finally, get your wisdom teeth pulled (and all other medical issues completely cleared up) before OCS, drink lots of water before your physical (your eyes will thank you), and don't show up out of shape (this seems like a no-brainer, but it happns way too often).

So maybe that was more than two cents.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think we can dispense with the term "old guy" for people over the age of 30. How about "salty." Not that I'm sensitive, mind you. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Edited by - frumby on 08/30/2001 10:35:39

Dave Shutter

quote:...we can dispense with the term "old guy"

For real man!!! From what I hear flight school and that lovely nugget tour go by in a blur, if that's so then all you "yungin's" are gonna basically wake up tommorrow and be my age! Enjoy!

(OC) Shutter SNA, 59 days to poopie week

Status
Not open for further replies.