• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ocs process

Status
Not open for further replies.

budgyfupa

I have just begun looking into ocs and would like to be accepted to pilot training. I have my pilots license right now and I am about to graduate in December. I was wondering what test I am required to take for flight school and if there is anyway to study for them?

Mike26

You need to talk to a recruiter, he can help you with all the details. There is a written test you have to take along with a physical test. You can find study guide at most book stores. They are published by ARCO and are specific for the military and flight aptitude tests. If you have a good GPA and your pilots license you should be pretty competitive. Try the Air Force too. I live in Spokane and I know the Air Force and Navy recruiters both are having a tough time finding qualified people. The Air Force especially because they want you to have a pilot license before you go to pilot training.

ghost_ttu

Not exactly true, or perhaps I need to go to Spokane!!! The Air Force is just as competitive if not more. I'm playing both sides of the fence, I won't tell my stats, b/c they have been mentioned before and are not as strong as my buddies. But he just got denied a pilot slot with the AF and he has his ppl, instrument rating, 130 hours. 3.4 gpa business admin., professional athlete (golf), community service, and high scores on AFOQT (92 pilot). So as depressing as all that sounds, you just have to get in the fight, and be patient, because that is what it comes down to it seems.

budgyfupa

Thanks to all for the advice, I appreciate any that I recieve. I will make sure that I talk to a recruiter soon. If any body else has some input I would like to hear it.
Thanks again.

Mike26

quote:
Not exactly true, or perhaps I need to go to Spokane!!! The Air Force is just as competitive if not more. I'm playing both sides of the fence, I won't tell my stats, b/c they have been mentioned before and are not as strong as my buddies. But he just got denied a pilot slot with the AF and he has his ppl, instrument rating, 130 hours. 3.4 gpa business admin., professional athlete (golf), community service, and high scores on AFOQT (92 pilot). So as depressing as all that sounds, you just have to get in the fight, and be patient, because that is what it comes down to it seems.

Yes I agree both services are very hard to get into, but what I said was that the "recruiters" are having a hard time finding qualified people. Especially the Air Force recruiters because there are not too many people in the area I live with their pilots license and technical type of degree. There was an article in AF Times not too long ago stating that the AF was now looking for more engineers, mathematicians, scientists ect. For a while the flood gates were open and quite a number of non-technical majors became officers and now the AF is starting to change gears. Also to my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, you don't stand much of a chance of getting a pilot slot in the Air Force unless you have you PPL. Most of the pilot slots for the AF go to AFROTC and the academy grads. Kind of upsetting. Good luck on what ever you do

ghost_ttu

That is true, I do have my ppl, and I'm about to finish my instrument, but my gpa 2.5 in MIS sucks, and my pilot score of 57 is knocking me out of the running (I'll retake 20 Sept.)

budgyfupa

I don't know where I would stand after I graduate so I really have no concept of my competitiveness compared to other applicants. I should graduate with a 3.25 in Government with my instrument rating and 200+ hours flight time. I am planning on meeting with a recruiter soon so that will help me.
Also what is the most common reason that an applicant is denied or is it relative to all applicants at a given time?

wilsonator

I was recently selected for a pilot slot in the Navy but it was right before they changed the mins. To the best of my understanding it's about a 3.2 GPA, maybe less if you have a more technical degree. The scores for the written exam have gone up considerably since I took it as well as the fitness scores. Your recruiter should have an up to date printout of the newest stuff. Don't go buy the current books because they are wrong, these changes just took place in the last couple of weeks according to my recruiter.

Valion310

Keep in mind also that these changes run in cycles, right now everything is super competative and everything is listed as high scores, in another year or two, that could be totally opposite. So my advice, don't live your life running by the numbers, you'll just drive yourself crazy. And if you get turned down, don't quit and keep applying, they will say yes eventually, or you'll just get old.

"Valion310 on short final inverted-"

Status
Not open for further replies.