• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS PLC-10 Week Guide

SLH350

pilot
I just got home on Saturday from OCS. I was NPQ'd at the end of week 7 for what will probably end up being a stress fracture in my right foot. Instead of continuing my self-pitying cycle of dessert eating and sleep I've decided to put my thoughts on paper and try and help out those who are planning on going to OCS, as well as recording them for myself when I hopefully return to OCS next summer.

So I know before I shipped for OCS a lot of the nervousness I was feeling was because I really didn’t know what I was getting myself into. I just got home from the PLC-Combined 10 week course, I made it to the end of week 7 but was sent home due to an injury to my right foot that was preventing me from being able to walk without a limp. While everything is fresh in my mind I’m going to try and give a basic idea of what to expect at OCS as well as a lot of the aspects of it that I felt I could’ve been better prepared for. For the sake of keeping my thoughts somewhat organized I’m going to divide this into the three categories that OCS uses to calculate your GPA, Physical Fitness, Academics, and Leadership.
Before I delve into all this I’ll give a basic rundown of the structure of OCS so I’m not using any foreign terminology. Upon arrival at OCS each candidate is assigned a Company and Platoon. The companies are generally Alpha and Bravo for PLC-10 weekers, Charlie is the OCCers, and Echo, Golf, and India are six weekers. Each company starts out with around 200 candidates or so and they are all distinct units with their own company staff and their own way of interpreting the rules. Within your company you generally have 4-5 Platoons. Your platoon is the group of guys that you do everything with. Each platoon starts out with around 60 guys and again has its own staff and its own way of doing things. You have a Platoon sergeant who pretty much runs the platoon, you have 3 sergeant instructors who deal with you as a platoon on a day to day basis, taking you to class, to PT, etc etc (screaming at you, making you do stupid things over and over again). Then you have a platoon commander, he’s an officer (usually a captain) and his job is to oversee everything that goes on in your platoon and ensure everything is running smoothly. The corner of the barracks that your platoon sleeps in is referred to as the squad bay, at the end of your squad bay there’s a little room with a few offices and a bed where your platoon staff does paperwork, sleeps, etc, this is referred to as the duty hut. The biggest thing I want to emphasize here is how staff dependent your experience is going to be. OCS has rules that cover every company but there is a lot of room for interpretation on the part of the staff. Just to give you an example- For the first 6 weeks lights out was at 2100 and generally speaking no one actually went to sleep right at 2100. You would get up right after lights, put on your headlamp, and work on either marking your gear (everything is marked with white tape and it gets messed up within a day or two so marking and remarking is a never-ending process), studying, organizing your stuff, etc etc. Usually this wasn’t really an option because the staff would specifically tell you that you have to have x y and z done by the next morning. Ultimately this meant that depending on when you had fire watch (exactly what it sounds like, every hour from 2100-0500 two candidates are assigned to keep watch over the squad bay while everyone else is asleep) you were only going to get around 4-6 hours of sleep. On week 6 though our company staff, seemingly out of the blue, made a decision that we needed more sleep and established a whole new SOP where we were no longer allowed out of the racks after lights to mark gear or anything like that. After that almost everyone was getting 6 to damn near 8 hours of sleep every night. Just goes to show you that things can be majorly different from company to company even though they all abide by the same overarching rules- so with that in mind, take everything I have to say with a grain of salt as your experience will undoubtedly be a bit different than mine.

SLH350

pilot
Physical Fitness-
Before I got to OCS I had a lot of people tell me things like “Oh, the PT isn’t that bad” “you only PT 3 times a week” “If you aren’t a fast runner yet you’ll catch up as the cycle goes on.” In my opinion this is a bunch of BS. On my pre-ship PFT I ran a 21:30 3 mile, got around 18 pull ups, and got all 100 crunches. A pretty decent PFT score, albeit not the best. The problem is PT at OCS is nothing like a PFT. There are actually a surprisingly small number of actual runs. The majority of the PT that you do is what is referred to as “functional fitness.” This means instead of running you’re going to be doing a lot of bodyweight exercises, a lot of negotiating obstacles, a lot of carrying things/people/etc.
To give you an idea of what I mean I’ll go ahead and detail one of our regular PT sessions that always made me feel like I was on the verge of death. They called this “FBD’s and 880s,” FBD stands for full body development and the 880 is the length of the sprints we did. This program is basically designed to prepare you for the CFT, but as with everything at OCS the preparation is about 1000 times worse than the test itself. Every PT session starts with a warm up. Everyone forms up around the PT table (a 3 foot high table in the middle of the PT field that the fitness instructor stands on in order to talk to the entire company). Generally your warm up is going to start off by either jogging in a huge circle around the table or jogging in place in columns around the table. From there you do things like high knees, heel kicks to the rear while running, sideways shuffle, punching the air while you’re running, then some stationary exercises like push ups, sit ups, squats, front stroke (basically pretend you’re swimming freestyle in the water, it works your shoulders pretty well), etc etc. They also have this delightful exercise called the skip jump where you bounce up and down on the balls of your feet working your calves. These suck. For the most part though the warm up isn’t going to kill you, it is however a lot more intense than what most people are used to for something pre-workout. After that’s all done everyone breaks off into their respective platoons and goes to one of the stations. The first time we did this workout our first station was the rope climb-
There are 6 ropes, you line up in 6 lines, go up the rope using proper technique, get to the top, smack the log, come back down, get back in line, repeat. Sounds easy, but we stay at each station for around 10 minutes, so after going up that damn rope four or five times you begin to hate it. This is one area I wish I had practiced more with- technique is absolutely everything. If you can get the break down correctly (for those that haven’t done this before, you have to wrap the rope around your leg then clamp it down with your boots so you don’t slip, you then kind of inch worm up the rope using your legs) then you’ll be miles ahead of everyone else. I relied entirely too much on my upper body and ignored everyone telling me to focus more on technique- bad move, you WILL get burnt out and when you do there is no way you’re getting up that rope even if you do start using the correct technique, so do it right from the beginning. Also be prepared for the rope to be wet, this threw EVERYONE off. You PT in the morning and that damn rope was almost always wet which meant you had to have a TIGHT break to get up the damn thing.
After the rope climb we jogged over to the parade deck for the 880s. I should preface this whole section by saying that I am not a runner- I like lifting weights, I like doing anaerobic exercise, I despise running. 880s suck, hard. You’ll be dressed in boots and utes, meaning cammie pants bloused onto combat boots with a skivvy shirt on. I had never run in boots before arriving at OCS- it will make you slower, and noticeably so, the extra weight on your feet really gets you. You line up side by side on the parade deck at a designated starting point, 440 M away is another line, you have to sprint to that line, turn around, come back, get in line, wait maybe 20-30 seconds, then sprint back down, turn around sprint back, wait again, sprint down, jog back, sprint down, jog back, etc etc until time runs out and you switch stations (again this is usually around 10 minutes). This will absolutely kick your ass. Don’t be that guy that takes off like it’s a graded event or something on the first sprint because you will be dead by the end. Try and pace yourself a bit. If you can practice doing these damn things in boots before you come to OCS do it, I was in one of the most in-shape platoons in the entire company and we were all still dying after doing these workouts. If you can get your ½ mile sprint time down to 2:30-2:45 in boots you will be way ahead of the game.
After that everyone was wheezing and desperately trying to suck down water in between frantic gasps for air, but OCS being OCS we had pretty much no time to recover before jogging over to the next station which was ammo can runs. If you’ve done a practice CFT before then you know the deal. Two 30 lb ammo cans, you pick them up, run down to a set of cones set about 50m away from you, turn around, run back, and get in line to do it again. Depending on the size of your platoon and how the lines end up you’ll probably have around 30 seconds or so to rest in between runs. This is another one of those cases where the event itself is much easier than the method you use to practice it. I thought ammo can runs were easy, but after you do them over and over for 10 minutes you begin to hate them. Again, practice for this before you get to OCS. Run with weight- this will help you not only here but in many many other events as well- particularly the endurance course where you will be running with two full canteens and an M16. Also be sure you’re using proper technique, keep those cans high so they aren’t swinging around everywhere, the higher you can keep the weight the easier it is to run with.
Following ammo can runs we rotated over to the fireman’s carry. Again, easy when you do it once for the CFT, way more difficult when you’re already tired and you’re doing it over and over. Again, proper technique will save you. Make sure you practice practice practice loading your partner on your back and getting him high enough that the weight isn’t killing you. Also be sure that you always have a free hand to swing as you’re running- they will destroy you if they see you holding your partner with both hands. If you’ve got the technique down and you can execute it quickly you’ll be fine here (assuming you don’t end up with the guy that weighs 200 lbs when you only weigh 180, always know who your partner is going to be before you get there).
After the fireman’s carry we transitioned over to the buddy drag using the same partner. Again if you’ve done a CFT this is nothing new. Make sure you lift with your legs and grab your partners forearms tightly. This is another exercise that you need to practice if you’ve never done it before.
After buddy drags you feel like you absolutely couldn’t possibly do any more, but of course there is one more station- ab planks. These are relatively easy if you keep your head in the game. Just be sure to keep your head up, don’t make faces, don’t make noises, look straight ahead and take the pain. If they see you cringing and grunting you’re going to be sitting there in the plank position for the entire ten minutes without a rest period.
Once you’ve finished all the stations you do a quick cool down and a stretch and head back to the squad bay to shower off. As you can see this isn’t something you can prepare for solely by running, doing pull ups, and doing crunches, so train accordingly.

SLH350

pilot
Hopefully that kind of gives you an idea of the routine. You aren’t going to have PT every day, it’s usually 3-4 times a week. Some weeks will be easy, others will be insane, it all just depends on the training schedule. The graded PT events that count toward your grade are-
Inventory PFT (1%)
CFT (6%)
O Course (5%)
Intermediate PFT (1%)
Endurance Course (5%)
15k Conditioning March (3%) (Pass/Fail)
Final PFT (4%)
For a total of 25%
The three biggest PT events that you need to worry about and be prepared for are-
The Obstacle Course (Counts for 5%)
I’ll give you a quick rundown of the layout- The first obstacle you’re going to negotiate is a bar about 7 feet off the ground. You jump over a small log and then negotiate the bar by either doing a college boy roll (superman onto the bar and let your momentum carry you over the top and around) or by climbing over the top of it as you see in the picture-
2010-08-02_Obstacle.Course_Mary.Kang035.jpg

If you can I would HIGHLY recommend that you practice the college boy roll until you’ve got it down perfectly, it will shave at least 10 seconds off your time if you can execute it correctly. You won’t have enough practice time at OCS to really perfect it if you end up having trouble.
The next obstacle is a series of bars that run parallel to each other about 8 feet off the ground, the easiest way to negotiate this is by swinging your legs up onto two of the bars and sliding down them with your legs locking you in place. Alternately you can just use one bar to shimmy down as you see in the picture but I found the two bar method made it way easier to transition to the next obstacle.
Obstaclecourse3929.jpg
-fast

46cf3bc94902679a5b30f720fb9c_grande.jpg
- not as fast
Once you get to the end of the bars you pull yourself up onto a series of logs that have grip paint on them. You have to balance yourself on either one or two of these logs and walk your way to the end. Your instinct is going to be to use two logs as you see in the picture, it just feels safer. The reality however is that not only is that method slower than using one, but it could actually mess you up even worse if you fall. When you use one log you have a log on either side to break your fall- usually guys that use this method don’t get hurt nearly as badly if they fall. It’s also much faster to just go down one. Remember its all mental, the actual gap your crossing is all of 5 feet long, just suck it up and go.
122008_obstaclecourse_800.JPG

Once you get to the end of the logs you’re going to jump over that log vault in the foreground of the picture above. You land, then jump over another, smaller vault, and then run to the next obstacle which is the 6 foot wall. This is pretty straight forward, jump up, grab the top, pull yourself over the wall as quickly as you can. Once you’re over the wall you’re going to have a series of log vaults that are fairly high, probably around 4 1/2- 5 feet tall all in a row. The best method here is to try and keep your momentum going and just knock them out one after the other in quick succession. These things don’t look so bad but they suck. You need strong legs and a good vertical to knock these out quickly- I would be training as much as possible for this type of thing, squats, deadlifts etc- everything you can do to try and improve that explosive strength in your legs as this is another skill that’s useful in a great deal of the events at OCS.
tall

After you finish the last log vault you have the parallel bars. Just like it sounds, two bars parallel to each other, one higher than the other, you grab the lower bar, “chicken wing” it with your arm, throw your legs up onto it, then grab the top bar and pull yourself over. Sounds complex but it’s actually pretty easy provided you have the strength to get yourself up there.
pi20051019b2.jpg

After the parallel bars you jump down and sprint over to the rope, climb up the rope, slap the top, and that’s your time.
Here’s a video to give you a better idea of what it looks like-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtUeXvQ-MoQ
Keep in mind this isn’t the exact same course as the one at OCS, the only real difference I can see is that the wall and the vaults after it aren’t nearly as high as they are on the OCS course, same idea though.
Passing time for the O course is 2 minutes, perfect score is 1 minute. Passing isn’t going to be too difficult, but as I said it wouldn’t kill you to practice that college boy roll and work on explosive strength in your legs. When I go back I know those are the two key points I’ll be training in order to try and get closer to a minute on it.

SLH350

pilot
The CFT (Counts for 6%)
The CFT has a bit of a reputation, I heard a lot of guys saying that it’s a huge ass kicker, the worst 2 minutes of your life, etc etc. In my experience however it’s really not that bad. Definitely something to train for though. The basic format is-
An 880 yard sprint in boots and utes (this is done as a down and back type deal at OCS on a paved road.) Perfect score here is 2:45. If you aren’t running faster than 3 minutes you will be behind the pack here.
A 2 minute ammo can press. You hold a 30 lb ammo can around chest level below your chin and press it all the way up until your arms lock out and repeat. Perfect score here is 91 presses. Make sure you exaggerate the movement so your arms unquestionably lock out at the top of the motion and the can is fully below your chin at the bottom, if you don’t they will dock points.
Then you complete a maneuver under fire event. This is kind of hard to explain, so just watch-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuw7fh4zfck
This guy makes some pretty key mistakes. Don’t kill yourself initially like he does. When you sprint like crazy to the first cone and do that super speed crawl you’ll be dead by the time you get to your buddy. Also he has terrible technique on the fireman’s carry, make sure you have the guy high on your back and he is pressing against your lower back with his hand. When you see him toss the grenade after getting to the end with the ammo cans- you’re aiming for a small box- if you hit that box it’s – 5 seconds on your time, if you miss its +5, don’t worry about this, its just a crap shoot really. The biggest thing with this part of the CFT is to not let yourself slow down. It only lasts around 2 minutes so just ignore the pain and keep pushing hard, never slow down. A perfect score here is going to be 2:14, which is very attainable if you’re in good shape.
The CFT as a whole is probably one of the easier graded events you will have and it’s also pretty heavily weighted, so make sure you put out and give it everything you’ve got.
The Endurance Course (Counts for 5%)
The E course sucks, there’s no other way to put it. This thing is going to kick your ass no matter who you are. We had a guy that ran a 15 minute 3 mile, it kicked his ass, so be prepared. I never actually got a chance to run the E course, but I heard all the stories and saw the layout. You begin the E course by completing the O course, take as much time as you need and don’t kill yourself because you have a long way to go. You come down from the rope at the end of the O course and immediately grab your LBV (load bearing vest, this contains two full canteens) as well as your rifle and take off running. On running with the rifle- it’s going to seem like a really good idea to sling the thing across your back while running- don’t do it. I tried this the first time I ran with the weapon, it constricts your lungs, makes it harder to run, and the weapon bounces around on your back so violently that you end up with a huge open wound on your back from the pistol grip- just carry the thing by the slip ring. Another point that was emphasized by the guys that ran it- don’t take your time putting the LBV on and grabbing the weapon, snatch them up and put them on as you run. The route from the O course to your first set of obstacles runs through the woods on the trails behind OCS, it’s around a mile to a mile and a half until you start in on the obstacles. The obstacles are going to consist of log hurdles, a low crawl, a rope assisted climb up an embankment, a commando crawl across a length of rope (this is where you pull yourself over a gap on top of the rope), then a wet low crawl underneath barbed wire, and a run through the muddy “smelly gully” followed by two fords (wading through chest deep water). Once you’re done with all this you take off running once again, now weighed down with water and mud, and head back towards OCS to the finish line. As I said, I never actually completed this event. The max time is 43 minutes, 33 minutes is a perfect score. Total distance is approximately 2.8 miles. Don’t underestimate how much slower you will be when you’re wearing an LBV, carrying a weapon, and wearing boots. One method that was suggested to prepare for this is purchasing a length of PVC pipe, filling it with sand until it weighs around 10 pounds, and running with that. Running while carrying something in your hands really throws you off. Aside from that just try not to freak out about this event too much. You don’t do it until late in the cycle (week 7) and I only knew of a few people that failed it. If you do well on all the other PT then this shouldn’t be a problem for you.

SLH350

pilot
Some other points as far as PT goes-

The rest of your daily PT routines are going to be one of the following-
Regular squad runs- You run with a group of around 15-20, sometimes they organize these so slower runners are together, sometimes they don’t, be prepared to be running these at a 6:30 pace if you get the wrong staff member leading your squad. There aren’t many of these, in fact I think we only did one that wasn’t a fartlek.
Fartlek Runs- Run around a half a mile to a mile, stop, do exercises (push ups, sit ups, squat thrusts, pull ups, star jumps, etc) repeat. There’s a junior fartlek that’s around 2 miles, a senior fartlek that’s around 3 miles, and a fartlek extension that’s around 4 miles (this is where I destroyed my foot, be careful because loose gravel will get you). The biggest thing with these that I would emphasize is run on trails and run hills. Don’t just run around the city where it’s paved and flat, you need to get used to uneven ground and the extra stress that running on an incline is going to put on you. RUN TRAILS. Seriously. If you have a fartlek course in your area practice it a few times just to get a feel for it, if not make up your own. Generally you’re going to have around 8-10 stations per run.
Push/Pull/Press/Abs- 12 Pull-ups/30 Push-ups, 10/25, 8/20 (this later increases to 14/40, 12/30, 10/25). Sound easy? Try it, not as easy as one would think, and when you’re running on 4 hours of sleep and your body is beaten and bruised it gets much harder. If you aren’t getting 20 pull ups on your pull ups then you need to be training for them. After you do the pull ups and the push ups you move on to ammo can presses, basically just as many as you can do in the time allotted, not a big deal. Then finally you do crunches, usually as many as you can do in 2 minutes, rest, as many as you can do in one minute, rest, as many as you can do in 30 seconds, rest, as many as you can do in 15 seconds, rest. Not really a big deal, just put out.
Upper Body Development- Just what it sounds like, you go around to different stations doing different exercises, push ups, dips, curls, military press, etc etc. Not a big deal, not really anything to worry about. Do as many as you can and show effort and you’ll be fine.
Run Circuit/MEC- I put these two together because they’re essentially the same thing, the run circuit is just more spread out. Essentially a mini fartlek. Run to this station, do this exercise for X amount of time, run to the next, etc etc. Again fairly easy. The run circuit is a bit more challenging. Lots of plyo-jumps (jump up on a bench, jump down, practice these), dips, push ups, things like that.

A few other points on PT-
-Don’t complain, even to fellow candidates, someone will hear you. Don’t let anyone see that you’re hurting. No facial expressions, no noises, no grunting, nothing. Straight face at all times.
-You don’t need to be the best, just don’t be last. Stay solidly in the middle and you will be invisible. You don’t want to be the guy lagging behind because you will get messed with and everything will get harder. Similarly if you’re out in front of everyone else the same applies. Stay average, stay invisible, the fastest guy to graduate OCS and the slowest guy to graduate OCS both get the same damn lieutenant bars so don’t be a hero.
-DON’T GET INJURED. Take it from me, I was almost finished with week 7 and I had to come home because I pushed myself further than I should have. Keep your form in everything and know your limits. Injury is the fastest way to end up back home and it’s incredibly frustrating.

SLH350

pilot
Academics-
To me, this was the easiest part of OCS. All the tests with only a few exceptions are multiple choice, scan-tron type tests and all the information comes directly from your book of candidate knowledge so taking notes in class isn’t necessary. Here is every subject you will be tested on-
Weapons Performance (2%) (this is where you demonstrate your ability to clear a weapon and operate it safely, don’t be an idiot and you’ll be fine)
Weapons/COD written (2%)- This tests you on your knowledge of the parts of an M16, some facts about it (fire rate, effective range, etc) as well as the proper method of cleaning and handling the weapon. Really simple stuff.
Drill Performance (1%)- This one is a bit harder just because there’s so much information. Don’t overlook the details. Know every term in the chapter and be sure you understand them all, they will ask you questions on the specifics. This isn’t complicated stuff but its easy to put off studying because the first few weeks are so hectic.
Land Navigation (1%)- Pay attention in class and this will be cake. I got a 100% on this exam and so did several other guys in my platoon. Know how to find grid squares, calculate distance, and identify terrain features and relief features.
Day Compass course (2%)- You’ll get a chance to practice this once, if you have trouble ASK questions. The land nav guys are great and will do everything they can to help you out. There’s no excuse for you to not ace this thing.
Night Compass Course (1%)- WATCH YOUR STEP, I can’t tell you how many guys turned their ankles on this damn course. Again you’ll have a chance to practice this, ASK questions! It’s not hard to get 100% on this course if you do everything as you’re told.
Marine Corps History I (1%) – Everyone freaks out about this test because it’s a ton of information. Just don’t get hung up on specific dates and make sure you have a solid general knowledge of every event and you’ll do fine.
Marine Corps History II (1%) – A bit more difficult than the first test, but the same rules apply. Know everything well, know the names of operations, know what happened during them, etc etc. Don’t stress over it.
GMS I (2%) – This is a bunch of stupid information that seems pointless to memorize. As such it’s difficult to study. This is probably one of the hardest tests at OCS for that reason. Make flash cards, know the details, and don’t think just because YOU think it isn’t important that it won’t be tested on.
GMS II (2%) – Same deal as GMS I, STUDY STUDY STUDY! They WILL ask you those stupid little details.
Leadership I (3%) – Fraternization policy, suicide prevention, equal opportunity policy, hazing policy, and some general knowledge on the purpose and functions of marine corps leadership. A pretty easy test if you study well.
Leadership II (3%) – Same kind of thing as leadership I, Domestic violence, moral leadership, DADT policy, substance abuse, health issues, sexual misconduct, human trafficking. A lot of memorization but easy stuff.
Operation Order Format (-) – This test is shown as not being weighted, I don’t really know why, but either way you need to know this format. This one isn’t multiple choice, it’s a fill in the blank type deal. If you don’t know the Op Order format by week 7 then you have bigger problems than test failures.
Tactics (3%)- This is the only test I never took. This is all the “cool” stuff, operations orders, field skills, fire and movement, hand and arm signals, stuff like that. I would imagine the test wouldn’t be very challenging.
Platoon Commander’s Inspection (1%)- Clean your chamber, clean your compensator, clean your buttstock, be sure your personal appearance is all in order and your uniform is IP’d. This is really dependent on your specific platoon commander. It’s up to their discretion what they hit you on. Just feel it out, by the time it happens you should know your commander well enough to know what they like to harp on.

For me the academic aspects were the easiest part of OCS. Put the time in to studying and you’ll be fine. If you fail a test it really isn’t a big deal. Just try not to make a habit of it.

I'll get into leadership once I finish dinner as there is a lot to be said there...

Grove

Take it from me, I was almost finished with week 7 and I had to come home because I pushed myself further than I should have. Keep your form in everything and know your limits. Injury is the fastest way to end up back home and it’s incredibly frustrating.
Wouldn't not pushing yourself to the limit to complete an event cause you to fail? Sorry I used to injure myself all the time by pushing myself too hard so I am a little curious

SLH350

pilot
Take it from me, I was almost finished with week 7 and I had to come home because I pushed myself further than I should have. Keep your form in everything and know your limits. Injury is the fastest way to end up back home and it’s incredibly frustrating.
Wouldn't not pushing yourself to the limit to complete an event cause you to fail? Sorry I used to injure myself all the time by pushing myself too hard so I am a little curious
That depends on how well prepared you are. I'm not saying don't put out, but for instance when I run I tend to be prone to shin splints, but if I concentrate on my form and keep to forefoot strikes instead of heel strikes I'm fine. For the first few weeks I was pretty good about doing that, but eventually when I started sucking wind I would just say fuck it and let my feet land however and just focus on trying to drag myself through to the finish- not a good idea. Be conscious of your form, bend your knees when you jump off obstacles, watch your footing, minimize the impact on your joints if you can. Running in boots will really tear you up if you aren't careful. If you go in there running a 19 minute PFT you shouldn't have a problem at all because you'll be well inside your comfort zone.

I would recommend stretching at night after lights for a decent amount of time, especially your ankles. I almost rolled my ankles a dozen times running on the trails.

djj34

pilot
The description of the E Course is good. I actually enjoyed it even though I sucked at it. I had a 1:03 O-Course, 290 PFT and a 299 CFT and barely passed the E-Course! I will agree that running cross body muzzle down sucks, and the brass deflector did dig into my back, but I preferred to run that way - it just felt faster. Pick your poison. I will reiterate, DO NOT go all-out on the O Course because you will be tired at the very beginning running down Demo Road, and Classroom Trail/Loop 2 are not places to re-gain your moto when you're tired.

This is a pretty good sneak peek (more like full exposé) of what OCS is about. I kinda wish there'd still be some element of surprise!

Bubba Giadrosich

I'll get into leadership once I finish dinner as there is a lot to be said there...[/quote]

You never let us know about leadership. I plan on going to OCS next summer and I need all the help I can get. I am finishing up my enlistment in the Air Force Reserves Next month and plan on getting my commission with the Marines. How many people failed due to leadership and academics?

SLH350

pilot
I'll get into leadership once I finish dinner as there is a lot to be said there
You never let us know about leadership. I plan on going to OCS next summer and I need all the help I can get. I am finishing up my enlistment in the Air Force Reserves Next month and plan on getting my commission with the Marines. How many people failed due to leadership and academics?
Yeah sorry I've been having ridiculous internet issues. My platoon staff didn't give two shits about academics, we had guys fail 3 or 4 tests and they barely even got reprimanded for it, other platoons boarded guys for 3 or more test failures. Again, it's all staff dependent as to whether or not you get sent to a board, but if you're strong in other areas and you want to be there they probably aren't going to send you home. No shit in the entire time I was there we only sent two guys home via boards, and they were both so completely out of their element it was laughable. You hear all these horror stories about massive attrition rates but the reality is that most drops are going to be either DOR's or medical NPQ's. Leadership really isn't something to worry about. They're looking for leadership POTENTIAL, not necessarily ability. Be confident, don't let the staff get you flustered or intimidate you and you'll be fine. We had plenty of guys fuck up hard in their billets but they'll be graduating just the same as everyone else. They're going to tell you you're going home, you're going to believe them- don't. They spent a lot of money to get you to OCS because they believe you can do it, don't doubt yourself. SULE and LRC are easy, listen to your tactics instructors, ask them questions- they aren't there to yell at you they're there to teach you. I aced the shit out of both LRC's and SULE thanks to the advice I got from tactics instructors. Bottom line is don't psych yourself out, this shit is easy if you don't let it get to your head.

81montedriver

pilot
Yeah sorry I've been having ridiculous internet issues. My platoon staff didn't give two shits about academics, we had guys fail 3 or 4 tests and they barely even got reprimanded for it, other platoons boarded guys for 3 or more test failures. Again, it's all staff dependent as to whether or not you get sent to a board, but if you're strong in other areas and you want to be there they probably aren't going to send you home. No shit in the entire time I was there we only sent two guys home via boards, and they were both so completely out of their element it was laughable. You hear all these horror stories about massive attrition rates but the reality is that most drops are going to be either DOR's or medical NPQ's. Leadership really isn't something to worry about. They're looking for leadership POTENTIAL, not necessarily ability. Be confident, don't let the staff get you flustered or intimidate you and you'll be fine. We had plenty of guys fuck up hard in their billets but they'll be graduating just the same as everyone else. They're going to tell you you're going home, you're going to believe them- don't. They spent a lot of money to get you to OCS because they believe you can do it, don't doubt yourself. SULE and LRC are easy, listen to your tactics instructors, ask them questions- they aren't there to yell at you they're there to teach you. I aced the shit out of both LRC's and SULE thanks to the advice I got from tactics instructors. Bottom line is don't psych yourself out, this shit is easy if you don't let it get to your head.

I failed 3 exams and now look what I have under my user name. It's not that I didn't study, it's that I didn't learn how to take tests until API. Did I get boarded? Fuck no. Where I lacked in academics I made up in leadership, physical fitness and great attitude. Don't let your faults slow you down. If you suck at one thing, don't suck at anything else. Show them that you want to be there and that you have the potential to be a good Marine Officer.