• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Physical Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahoe

Anyone,

How much is running a part of your daily OCS training. I understand it's a major part, but just how much do you run...min and max.

John/Matt, How much is physical training a part of your every day life in the RAG.

Thanks for the insight.

-Dave

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Tahoe, ever since API finished, it has been up to the individual as to when/where/what they are going to do to keep themselves in shape. The flight and training schedules are so hectic that nothing is set, another part of the Navy "big boy" training program, then again they can give you enough rope to hang yourself with so to speak. The only thing you are going to encounter is the PRT which will be held at each of the Squadrons that you go to, and at different times of the year.

So, to answer your question, it is in your own hands so to speak. There are a lot of intramural sports going on, so those are good to get involved in.

rob

Even if Pullups are not frequent at OCS, you should continue to work on them, they are great for your overall strength...I recommend, if you are a beginner, to do as many sets as it takes to get to thirty(ie. if you can do only five, do six sets of five). Once you can do at least fifteen your first set, move it up to forty, fifty, etc.

Teddy

Just a quick note re: USMC PFT.

On the OCS web site there's a great "PFT Calculator". You input your performance and it gives you your score. It can save all your PFT's and graph them over time a number of different ways. Great to chart your progress. It has lots of other gadgets and gizmos too. Not sure if it'll work with Navy PFT. Free 30 day trial then they whack you for $2.00.
http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/ocs/index.htm

Teddy.

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
I think for the Navy "PFA" (Physical Fitness Assessment...long live the PRT), you start with a score of 300. For every pushup less than the max, you lose 2 points. For every situp less than the max, you lose 2 points. For every 10 seconds of run less than the max, you lose a point. Every event is also given a score, like "Outstanding High" or "Excellent Medium". Your overall PFA "grade" will be the lowest one of those. Lets say you got Outstanding High on Pushups, Outstanding Low on Situps, and Excellent Medium on the run. You would then have an overall PFA of Excellent Medium. To graduate from OCS, you need to be able to do 71 pushups, 87 situps, and do the run in 10:30 (this is the tenth week "OUT PFA", based on a male under the age of 30).

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Does OCS use the age groups for the PRT's ie under 30, 30 and over etc? Curious because I'll be 31 when I get to OCS.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.