• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS OCS NEX Photo Studio: You've Been Warned

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
Just a friendly head's up--OCS is expensive enough and the NEX photo studio will take you for all you're worth (my class spent about $200/person). Sometimes spending a lot of pictures is OK, however, be warned that at OCS the NEX photo studio produces a very low quality product. My DVD is missing half the ceremony. A better option is to have a friend or family member use a good digital camera at the ceremony and email you pictures and video. If you want canned, cheesy studio portraits, go to Sears.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Just a friendly head's up--OCS is expensive enough and the NEX photo studio will take you for all you're worth (my class spent about $200/person). Sometimes spending a lot of pictures is OK, however, be warned that at OCS the NEX photo studio produces a very low quality product. My DVD is missing half the ceremony. A better option is to have a friend or family member use a good digital camera at the ceremony and email you pictures and video. If you want canned, cheesy studio portraits, go to Sears.

Welcome to the Wardroom! Now read and heed this:

https://jorules.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/the-prior-dilemma/

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Welcome to the Wardroom! Now read and heed this:

https://jorules.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/the-prior-dilemma/
Thanks for the link, good article.

I think if you fall towards the good side, I guess you can coin it "being the humble prior", you also get to experience wider latitude and responsibility during your JO tour. But you are also under a greater microscope from both the blue shirts, Goat locker and the Front Office until you prove yourself! ;)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
It relates to you.

Get used to paying high prices for low quality products and service now that you're an officer, you're going to be expected to just fork over money for things that aren't good deals because "you can afford it on that O pay".

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Expect to pay a Wardroom Mess bill on the ship around 150-300 bucks a month (depending on underway time) on food alone. Nothing you can do there.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
Expect to pay a Wardroom Mess bill on the ship around 150-300 bucks a month (depending on underway time) on food alone. Nothing you can do there.

It's $20/mo ($30 if I want coffee) and it's good to see wlawr rates another keyboard CAR.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
A bit unrelated but do we pay mess bills while at OCS? I haven't seen that addressed before.

You'll eat in the galley and I *think* they take your BAS for the privilege. I didn't pay any food bill there.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
You have no option to not pay for meals. So you can't just say "well, I won't eat in the wardroom, ha!"

Nope, charged for meals while underway, whether you eat them or not.

The $20/month is just to be a member of the mess. The $150-300/month (roughly $10/day for 3 meals) is what you pay for meals.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
We once tried to argue that we should only be charged for three meals, not four (yes, they were charging for the shit show they called midrats), becuase none of us were ever awake for breakfast. no dice.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I successfully fought the XO and SUPPO (when it came to the mess bill) once . The ship was underway, so everyone is automatically charged for meals, regardless if you're on the ship. I argued that the crew that was on land doing HADR could not eat onboard AND had to eat on their own on land. Since we left before breakfast and came back around dinner time (or just after, I can't really remember), we shouldn't have to pay. I think I got one day off of our bill. I didn't care about the money. It was a moral victory.