• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS IWC(IP) acceptance Questions

ShellsBells

Hello All,

I am currently an IT2 who is applying to the IP designator. I have a B.S. degree in Computer Networks and Cybersecurity with a 3.75. GPA. I have taken my OAR twice with the highest score being a 49. I have a MP/MP/EP for my last three Evals and two NAMs awards. Lots of leadership experience from my first command as I was qualified CWO, ISWO, and workcenter supervisor. I also have only been at one command as I am currently PCS to my second right now. I am wondering if my surrounding achievements would make up for a 49 OAR or should I retake it one final time? Also is there a chart to see acceptance results for previous cycles as I cannot find any on MyNavy Hr?

Thank you all in advanced!

Whiskeyrice

Hello All,

I am currently an IT2 who is applying to the IP designator. I have a B.S. degree in Computer Networks and Cybersecurity with a 3.75. GPA. I have taken my OAR twice with the highest score being a 49. I have a MP/MP/EP for my last three Evals and two NAMs awards. Lots of leadership experience from my first command as I was qualified CWO, ISWO, and workcenter supervisor. I also have only been at one command as I am currently PCS to my second right now. I am wondering if my surrounding achievements would make up for a 49 OAR or should I retake it one final time? Also is there a chart to see acceptance results for previous cycles as I cannot find any on MyNavy Hr?

With the GPA and degree as long as the OAR waiver would be your only waiver (with the exception of tattoos) you would have a solid enough chance, but say if you take it again and score a 47 or something you'd still be just as qualified by OAR standards. So I would still study again and try for round 3 to be fully qualified and not worry about it if I were you as your chances would go up by quite a bit with 50 vice 49 + waiver.

I was selected off of the Feb 28th board with a gpa of 3.91, oar 53, and similar career history to you but I needed a time in service waiver. So even with the waiver its possible. But 23 folks were selected I believe, with 16 of those being active duty. I don't know how many applied total though.

ShellsBells

With the GPA and degree as long as the OAR waiver would be your only waiver (with the exception of tattoos) you would have a solid enough chance, but say if you take it again and score a 47 or something you'd still be just as qualified by OAR standards. So I would still study again and try for round 3 to be fully qualified and not worry about it if I were you as your chances would go up by quite a bit with 50 vice 49 + waiver.

I was selected off of the Feb 28th board with a gpa of 3.91, oar 53, and similar career history to you but I needed a time in service waiver. So even with the waiver its possible. But 23 folks were selected I believe, with 16 of those being active duty. I don't know how many applied total though.
Thank you for the response I really appreciate it!

exNavyOffRec

Hello All,

Don't worry about the OAR, that just gets you to the board and since they will waive it you should be good with your degree and GPA.

OverMattress

IP-PROREC Y
From the board members I spoke with, your GPA and OAR are not looked at. More so just a check in the box. This is not to say that all designators are like this though.

What I was told, the majority of people who get turned away are those who don't take the time to research the designators. For example, saying in your statement that you've always wanted to be captain of a ship (while applying for IWC). To include mentioning attributes and skills that are not useful or specific to the designator.

Hope this helps!

exNavyOffRec

From the board members I spoke with, your GPA and OAR are not looked at. More so just a check in the box. This is not to say that all designators are like this though.

What I was told, the majority of people who get turned away are those who don't take the time to research the designators. For example, saying in your statement that you've always wanted to be captain of a ship (while applying for IWC). To include mentioning attributes and skills that are not useful or specific to the designator.

Hope this helps!
GPA is very much looked at as is the degree, otherwise the average GPA for IWC selectees wouldn't be as high as it is and the STEM degrees wouldn't comprise nearly all the selections for IP and CW.