• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS gouge pack

BDfan88

I have a question about the gouge pack on the OCS website. For those of you who have recently gone through OCS, how much of that packet are you really supposed to memorize? I intend to memorize everything word for word (even the marines hymn and anchors aweigh) but just curious on what is really tested at OCS.

Sonog

pilot
You will be required to know everything. The big 4 will be the most relevant for RLP in week 4. The first 4 weeks are the most stressful and you'll have the least free time, so prior to OCS it is most beneficial to study Code of Conduct, Chain of Command, Orders of Sentry, and Sailor's Creed.

BDfan88

You will be required to know everything. The big 4 will be the most relevant for RLP in week 4. The first 4 weeks are the most stressful and you'll have the least free time, so prior to OCS it is most beneficial to study Code of Conduct, Chain of Command, Orders of Sentry, and Sailor's Creed.
What about anchors aweigh and the marines hymn?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I was led to believe you'll also need to know the rates and ranks for both Navy and Marine Corps, correct?

boostadikt

VFA-106
Correct, you will need to know all the ranks verbatim for Marines and Navy, Enlisted and Officer. 4th week I sang (screamed) both Anchors Aweigh and Marines Hymn. 8th week you will also need to know warfare devices verbatim, and a general knowledge of "appendix C" which is weapons and ships/aircraft, don't worry too much about that stuff, after week 5 you will have time to study.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I was led to believe you'll also need to know the rates and ranks for both Navy and Marine Corps, correct?

Yes, make sure to memorize them "verbatim" exactly as they read in the gouge pack.

Protip: Buy a cheap MP3 player with a recorder and record yourself carefully and slowly saying everything in the gouge pack (break it into parts so you can focus on specific pieces of the gouge pack as you like). Proceed to listen to the recording "anytime" you have free time. Try to remember the words like you would remember a song. Focus on how the gouge "sounds" and not so much what is says.

Sonog

pilot

Yes I forgot to mention ranks and insignia. Definitely memorize those prior to OCS. Service songs are easier to learn while you're there.

Renegade One

None
4th week I sang (screamed) both Anchors Aweigh and Marines Hymn.
No fair...it's obvious at the end of every televised Navy football game that most of the Navy players don't even know the words to their Alma Mater...or whatever it is that they traditionally sing to the opposing side.

KBayDog

It's a good thing this isn't about flight school, huh? :rolleyes:

What? A thread entitled "OCS gouge pack" in the "Commissioning Programs > Navy OCS" isn't about flight school?

Well, F me gently with a chainsaw. I never would have thought that it wasn't a thread about flight school.

Please excuse my attempt at injecting a little humor in your wicked-awesome thread as you discuss the trials and tribulations of learning such incredibly difficult topics as rank structure and your precious little Anchors Aweigh song.

BackOrdered

Contributor
What? A thread entitled "OCS gouge pack" in the "Commissioning Programs > Navy OCS" isn't about flight school?

Well, F me gently with a chainsaw. I never would have thought that it wasn't a thread about flight school.

Please excuse my attempt at injecting a little humor in your wicked-awesome thread as you discuss the trials and tribulations of learning such incredibly difficult topics as rank structure and your precious little Anchors Aweigh song.

Who says I wasn't joking? :D