• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Class Date Question

Can someone explain to me exactly how an OCS Class date is decided if you are currently active duty?

What factors are considered?

Who ultimately makes the decision, your command or an officer detailer?

I have no idea about this whole part of the process, so the more input the better! Thanks.

zarevich

Your command.
The one thing I am unsure is if, for example, you are selected for FY-21, does your command have the power to release you FY-22? The reason could be because they need you to finish your deployment since there might be no other person who can do your job and they want you to train your relieve. You can request to leave ASAP, your command should be able to request the soonest available OCS date for you if they are okay releasing you knowing it will not impact the command negatively with respect to your shop's manning.

exNavyOffRec

Your command.
The one thing I am unsure is if, for example, you are selected for FY-21, does your command have the power to release you FY-22? The reason could be because they need you to finish your deployment since there might be no other person who can do your job and they want you to train your relieve. You can request to leave ASAP, your command should be able to request the soonest available OCS date for you if they are okay releasing you knowing it will not impact the command negatively with respect to your shop's manning.

If a person is FY 21 and they are not released until FY 22 that means that someone needs to fill that spot for FY 21, if not then NRC could miss goal, that doesn't look good for the Admiral in charge of NRC, now if enough time is given then they can move someone into that spot, so basically the answer to your question is maybe.

On another not that was addressed on another thread, there should never be a situation where one person is the only one that can do that job, if that is the case there is a leadership failure. If you were to fall and break a leg and become unable to go to the sub or ship how do you think the it would look if the CO said to the ISIC "sorry sir/ma'am MM1 XXX broke his leg yesterday so we are unable to accomplish our mission", it probably wouldn't be good.