• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS OCS CHIT/Packet submission - Waiting Timeframe

Gurudude

Background:
BS with a 3.3 GPA (completed in 3 years)
21 y/o
Private Pilot's License
Enlisted with SO Contract
DOR'd in Hell Week
Re-classified into another rating
Committed and proud to serve in any capacity

Question:
Rolled the dice with NSW and got eaten by the beast. I expect to excel in my current re-classification/rating but need to start developing my long term goal. How long before I can submit an OCS CHIT/Packet?

Andrew Jacobson

1420.1B is the OPNAVINST and will have all the official words, but if I'm not mistaken there isn't a time constraint. You will need to have your OAR/ASTB done before applying depending on what community you're wanting to go to, hope this helps!

exNavyOffRec

Background:
BS with a 3.3 GPA (completed in 3 years)
21 y/o
Private Pilot's License
Enlisted with SO Contract
DOR'd in Hell Week
Re-classified into another rating
Committed and proud to serve in any capacity

Question:
Rolled the dice with NSW and got eaten by the beast. I expect to excel in my current re-classification/rating but need to start developing my long term goal. How long before I can submit an OCS CHIT/Packet?

Many don't make it through hell week, many don't even get get the chance to go and try for SO so good for you on trying.

depending on what rate you go some CO's have specific requirements, the biggest one I saw from my CO's was that you had to have your warfare device.

when putting together an application the board really doesn't care it only took you 3 years to get your BS, it is best qualified, a person who took 6 years to get a BS but has a 3.8 will look better on the education part than you will.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From a command perspective, it's going to depend. I have folks without degrees whom I would recommend for commissioning programs today, and others with graduate degrees that I will not even consider endorsing. How your next command decides to deal with that question depends a lot on you, your rate, command manning and what hoops your chain of command feels you ought to maneuver through to demonstrate your fitness to serve as an officer. Be humble and be willing to do whatever it takes to achieve your goal. Chances are, you're going to have to bust your ass for a year or two before you're ready.

Gurudude

Thanks all... great input and much appreciated!

#Andrew J - I have researched the sections in OPNAVINST 1420.1B and see no minimum wait time specifically noted. That is not to say that there is not the unwritten wait time to gain experience and the reputation necessary to garner support from enlisted and commissioned supervisors.

#NavyOffRec - Thanks for the mention of the SO experience, without a doubt, a most incredible and DIFFICULT journey. My packet will not have the college timeframe in it. Just a reference because the math does not match my age...

#Brett327 - Humbled and ready to bust my ass while realizing that putting lipstick on a pig doesn't remove the pig. Thanks for the straight shooting!

Again... thank you!

dahlel

Came to the darkside
pilot
I was in your shoes a few years ago. Enlisted SB and DOR'd. I re rated to AE and made the best of it. I knew I wanted to drop an OCS package as soon as I got to A School but timing and Chain of Command really play into this one. I don't believe there is a strict time limit on as to how soon you can submit one but you need to consider that you are now obligated to serve in your rate for whatever length of time you signed on for. You still need to perform at A school C school and your first command. If you cant do your specific job well this will not look good on you and you chain of command will have a hard time getting behind you to support your request.

You're going to need time off work and/or a flexible LPO/Chief to let you schedule your interviews with current Officers from the field you're looking to get in as well as time off to get medical appt set up for the commissioning physical and they probably wont take you seriously until you get your quals and have proven your worth in the shop.

Bottom line here is that you need to prove yourself in your rate first before you really, really have a good shot at a quality package getting sent in.

I advise you to not lose sight of your goal, strive to make rank quickly and take on responsibility early. Even if it is outside the normal scope of your duties. These qualities well reflect well on you and when you go to ask your COC for time off or help with your package they will see you are the real deal and a proven leader even on a micro level. Warfare pins will come, be hungry for quals. Quality over quantity. Don't just get every qual in the shop because you want to be a paper tiger. Get what is required, get good at it then branch out.

I enlisted 2012 under an SB contract. Rerated 2012, E3 Aviation Electricians mate 2012 and made AE2 by May 2014. After 3 OCS packages got picked up and started OCS and commissioned 2015.

Its not impossible. Stay determined and feel free to message me if you have an questions with your process. You'll find out that applying from the fleet, not a whole lot of people have the answers your looking for when it comes to "who do I talk to next?" or "how is my application supposed to look?".

-Logan

Last edited: