• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS-bound...hopefully

lilcle2

I'm a recent college grad looking to start OCS in 2-3 months. I've yet to gather all of the information I need for my packet and am prepping for the OAR portion of the ASTB now. After speaking with my recruiter I need to take the test ASAP, but need to prep adequately because I'll only have one chance to get an above average score - I need to be accepted and then finish by 9/11. Testing aside...SWO and Supply communities are my best options due to age & my time crunch to get everything done.

Any advice on prep for the OAR & OCS would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

exNavyOffRec

I'm a recent college grad looking to start OCS in 2-3 months. I've yet to gather all of the information I need for my packet and am prepping for the OAR portion of the ASTB now. After speaking with my recruiter I need to take the test ASAP, but need to prep adequately because I'll only have one chance to get an above average score - I need to be accepted and then finish by 9/11. Testing aside...SWO and Supply communities are my best options due to age & my time crunch to get everything done.

Any advice on prep for the OAR & OCS would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

There are many here that have already been pro Y that would love to start OCS in the next 3 months, but even they haven't rec'd their FS letters.

BackOrdered

Contributor
You can't get to OCS in 3 months flat. I don't know what your "time crunch" is, but it will have to wait north of between 9 months to 2 years.

lilcle2

Heard & heard. My OR suggested that I work on getting things squared away immediately. My time crunch is being commissioned by my 29th birthday - 9/11...which means I'd have to start OCS by early June and not get rolled back for any reason. That is so I don't have to worry about obtaining an age waiver - which may be possible but not guaranteed because am not a prior enlisted.

Givemeinfo

Hey I'm still waiting to hear back myself, I've been told I should hear back this month. I got a 56 on the OAR portion of the ASTB. I went to Barnes n Nobles and studied every book that had good reviews, until I understood all the questions and patterns well, and check out the reviews online, there are some pretty good ones. Good luck

navy2014

I'm anxious just reading this thread.

My instinct as far as advice for the ASTB would be to take it as soon as possible because you have no time to spare. In reality, though, I think you'll have to get an age waiver no matter what you do, so I don't see any reason to rush it. Just got to the ASTB forum here and read the threads about the new test and use that info to customize what you study for the OAR from the gouge that comes from the old version. Generally--don't waste time on guide books. They're all poorly written, rarely customized to the ASTB, and are not updated for the new test yet. The test format is different now in a way that should make it easier to manage, even though the questions should theoretically be harder.

Reading--you either know how to do this section or you don't. Math and physics--just study what's out there.

Good luck.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
My instinct as far as advice for the ASTB would be to take it as soon as possible because you have no time to spare. In reality, though, I think you'll have to get an age waiver no matter what you do, so I don't see any reason to rush it.

Unless something has changed, they don't issue age waivers for non-prior enlisted people.

navy2014

Unless something has changed, they don't issue age waivers for non-prior enlisted people.

Although it seems like they can do whatever they want if they need to, it doesn't sound like they really need to look too hard to find people right now. RIP OP.

JBro

I got my packet in before Thanksgiving 2013 and I just got my pro y call today. The key is patience. There is a lot of gouge here that is worth studying. Focus on propping up your weakpoints and take your time during the test. I made it in with a 48.