• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Application Test Scores Question AQT

Verity760

AC1(AW/SW/IW)
Hello everyone, possibly a dumb question here. I looked around on this site and google and couldn't find a definitive answer, but for those who have completed the OCS Application, on the "Testing Scores" section (18), on the second column there is a score section for "AQT," which after googling pulls up Aviation Qualifying Test. Is this a separate, optional test like the GMAT or GRE? Or is this a score given from one's ASVAB or ASTB scores? Additionally, if it is a separate test, does it carry any weight upon completion for selection? Most searches I find seem to point out that its an aviation test offered to JROTC; but is it available to other applicants? Thanks for all the help!

V/r
-AC1

luckynumbr27

It’s not a separate test. When you go take the ASTB with your recruiter, you will take one long test with different sections all in one sitting and from that test you will get your OAR which is your score on the basic math, reading, and mechanics sections, your AQR which is from the aeronautic and navy knowledge section and then your PFAR and FOFAR from the drone, rudder, and stick sections. It’s a long test but you take it all at once.

Verity760

AC1(AW/SW/IW)
Right. But the one says AQT, not AQR. There’s already spots on the application form for those, but I can’t seem to determine what AQT is? Unless it’s the same as the AQR...
I’ve already taken the test. I can ask the testing office as well and follow up here.

NevarYalnal

It’s not a separate test. When you go take the ASTB with your recruiter, you will take one long test with different sections all in one sitting and from that test you will get your OAR which is your score on the basic math, reading, and mechanics sections, your AQR which is from the aeronautic and navy knowledge section and then your PFAR and FOFAR from the drone, rudder, and stick sections. It’s a long test but you take it all at once.
slight clarification, you can take the OAR and the aviation portions separately, as long as you do it within 30 days of each other. it's called a merged score and you should talk to your recruiter about that option if you feel more comfortable doing it that way.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I think you may be using a very old version on the application? AQT is mentioned in an old document from June 2004 here:

Based on that I'd say the AQT has been replaced by I think the OAR score? Either way I think this points to you having the wrong application version?
Academic Qualification Test -> Officer Aptitude Rating

I think that's right. The old version was AQT, FAR. Now it's OAR, AQR, PFAR, FOFAR?

Last edited:

Verity760

AC1(AW/SW/IW)
I don’t believe it’s an old version as I pulled it directly from NPC, but I’ll look into. Once I figure it out I’ll post the response here. Thanks for all the feedback!

exNavyOffRec

I think you may be using a very old version on the application? AQT is mentioned in an old document from June 2004 here:

View attachment 28930

Based on that I'd say the AQT has been replaced by I think the OAR score? Either way I think this points to you having the wrong application version?
Academic Qualification Test -> Officer Aptitude Rating

I think that's right. The old version was AQT, FAR. Now it's OAR, AQR, PFAR, FOFAR?

I think you have found the correct answer, it has been OAR, AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR for many many years.

exNavyOffRec

I don’t believe it’s an old version as I pulled it directly from NPC, but I’ll look into. Once I figure it out I’ll post the response here. Thanks for all the feedback!
When it comes to OCS programs you will realize that you should have as much confidence in NPC updating the website as you would the US Gov't balancing the budget LOL.

Verity760

AC1(AW/SW/IW)
When it comes to OCS programs you will realize that you should have as much confidence in NPC updating the website as you would the US Gov't balancing the budget LOL.
Great Point! But I guess what I mean is that the form I'm using from NPC is in PDF format, with fillable boxes and all that. Could be a few years old, sure, but probably shouldn't have the AQT listed, vice the AQR, on the scores section. Ghost SWO is probably correct, and they simply haven't updated the forms for whatever reason, but I like to be sure about things before submitting, especially because a kickback over something so simple would be frustrating.

Talked to a few friends who have already been accepted and gone through training and they said they just put their AQR score there, so that's likely the correct response. However, if the AQT was in fact another aviation test that was weighted for selection, I would like to know to make myself as selectable as I could, within my given time constraints. Thanks for the feedback!

exNavyOffRec

Great Point! But I guess what I mean is that the form I'm using from NPC is in PDF format, with fillable boxes and all that. Could be a few years old, sure, but probably shouldn't have the AQT listed, vice the AQR, on the scores section. Ghost SWO is probably correct, and they simply haven't updated the forms for whatever reason, but I like to be sure about things before submitting, especially because a kickback over something so simple would be frustrating.

Talked to a few friends who have already been accepted and gone through training and they said they just put their AQR score there, so that's likely the correct response. However, if the AQT was in fact another aviation test that was weighted for selection, I would like to know to make myself as selectable as I could, within my given time constraints. Thanks for the feedback!
I would say more than a few years, probably more like 20 as we are on version 6-8 and those were introduced in 2013, I believe versions 3-5 were introduced in mid 2000's and 1-2 were many years prior to that.

Just putting the AQR in there could be the right answer it just depends what other info the form has, drop a blank copy here and I can look at it.

Verity760

AC1(AW/SW/IW)
I would say more than a few years, probably more like 20 as we are on version 6-8 and those were introduced in 2013, I believe versions 3-5 were introduced in mid 2000's and 1-2 were many years prior to that.

Just putting the AQR in there could be the right answer it just depends what other info the form has, drop a blank copy here and I can look at it.
I've attached the form. Looks like its a revision form from 2008, which might make sense as to why is says AQT v. AQR. So as we've discussed in this thread, that's likely the most correct answer, but as always, better to leave no stone unturned. Let me know what you think :)

Attachments

• Officer Program Application Form.pdf
    906.2 KB · Views: 21

exNavyOffRec

I've attached the form. Looks like its a revision form from 2008, which might make sense as to why is says AQT v. AQR. So as we've discussed in this thread, that's likely the most correct answer, but as always, better to leave no stone unturned. Let me know what you think :)

AQT = AQR on this form

It is really sad that they updated the form and didn't update the testing section that changed at least 10 years before that form was updated, however NPC was known for not updating info about OCS up until about 4 or 5 years ago, they left up very old PA's so people were applying and getting denied by NRC for not meeting requirements.

Verity760

AC1(AW/SW/IW)
Okay, got it. Thanks for all the help! And yes, it is super sad. Because of those ineptitudes with Navy administration I'm now left with distrust in many processes and triple check everything and advise my sailors to do the same. Here's hoping for change down the road. I appreciate all the help, Sir. Thanks again!