• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Application - Motivational Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamw

Hi All,
I'm working on the commission application for the aviation program (pilot) and was hoping for some advice with motivational statement. I've already taken the aptitude tests and am schedule to take the PRT and wrap up my physical (I'm enlisted under DEP currently, so some of it was already done) exam tomorrow morning. At any rate I'm not really sure what I should include in the statement. I assume I should discuss my desire to fly and to serve in the United States Navy. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice regarding this.

Thanks!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
William,

Exactly what you just said, what you want to do, why you want to do it, and of course your goals while serving the Navy. Just make it from the heart, and then definitely check the grammar, spelling and everything else you have learned over the years in various english and writing courses! :)

Seriously though, bounce it off friends, read it out loud. I rewrote mine a couple of times, and the finished product sounded a lot better than the first rough draft.

From conversations I have had over the years with Officers that have sat on selection boards, they always mentioned that the statement and in the cases of commissioning programs for active duty where you go through an interview board, those are some of the few "glimpses" they have at you, and what motivates you.

A well reasoned and motivated statement won't hurt, and might make you beat out the next guy (albeit it is just one small part of the overall package).

Oh well, those are just my thoughts on the subject. I would imagine that Frumby would have some added insight from personal experience over the years.

As for me, gotta run, having my squadron spaces inspected for turnover to the other squadron! Leaving shortly for deployment, woohoo!

williamw

John,

Thanks very much for the advice! I always found my biggest problem with writing was getting it started - and having this advice helped me focus. I believe it came out fine, although 200 words is one short statment. Thanks again (I would have written sooner, but left town after my pre-comm physical and havent had access since then).

Status
Not open for further replies.