• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS and ADHD Diagnosis

gniklu26

Good evening all,

I have a question in regards to submitting a medical waiver. I am submitting an OCS package soon. I am currently active duty and have
been in for 6 years. I am currently diagnosed with ADHD and I am prescribed medication. I was diagnosed at at my 4 1/2 mark (I had already made E-5). I've never had any issues learning nor advancing and it has never impacted my performances within the service. Do you think it's possible to receive a waiver in order to apply for OCS. I've been receiving conflicting information and some clarity will be super helpful on this matter regarding active duty applicants diagnosed while in the service. Thank you so much!

gniklu26

Thank you! I checked it out but it doesn't seem like any of that info pertains to me being that I'm AD. I was informed our medical screening is a bit different for us being that we are already in the service. I could be wrong though. I've been trying to get a definite answer being that I building my package and I am submitting soon.

Renegade One

None
Thank you! I checked it out but it doesn't seem like any of that info pertains to me being that I'm AD. I was informed our medical screening is a bit different for us being that we are already in the service. I could be wrong though. I've been trying to get a definite answer being that I building my package and I am submitting soon.
Okay. Good luck; hope it works out for you.

exNavyOffRec

Since you were diagnosed after you were in the USN has already bought you with any issues you have, it is most likely you will be medically cleared, however only the doctor giving the "thumbs up" will know for sure, there have been a few instances were a condition did not allow for a person to get commissioned but would allow to continue enlisted service.

Submit your medical exam and see.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I don't want this to sound like a me too story but as a kid I was one of the "Hyper active" kids who could not focus on more than one task. Drove my teachers nuts. My Mom refused to let the Dr's medicate me. Long story short I could not multi task until I was forced to in boot camp I can do it now by focusing one task at a time until I reach my limit. I see what they do with some of these poor kids at school and don't agree with it. Too many teachers give get frustrated and give up on them and the kid gets declared disabled and in the system.

gniklu26

Since you were diagnosed after you were in the USN has already bought you with any issues you have, it is most likely you will be medically cleared, however only the doctor giving the "thumbs up" will know for sure, there have been a few instances were a condition did not allow for a person to get commissioned but would allow to continue enlisted service.

Submit your medical exam and see.

Hopefully so! I spoke with my PCM today and she was pretty confident i'll be just fine. Lets see!

You will probably be NPQ but if it’s not severe then a waiver will probably be granted. That’s the department I work at and we’ve recommended those waivers approved before.

gniklu26

You will probably be NPQ but if it’s not severe then a waiver will probably be granted. That’s the department I work at and we’ve recommended those waivers approved before.

Thank you for that info! If you don't mind me asking, what is considered "severe"?