• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCD Waiver

polaris417

Hello All,

To preface, apologies in advance if this is a repetitive post. I’ve lurked for a bit and couldn’t find one that is similar to my situation, and would like an updated opinion.

I’m interested in applying for an aviation contract after working a civilian job for about a year. I just graduated Cum Laude with a mechanical engineering degree, and am working at a defense firm that designs the majority of the Navy ships (have my clearance, not sure if that affects/helps my case).

My one worry is that my sophomore year I stupidly went on SSRIs for Anxiety/OCD (not sure which one doctor decided it was). I took them for about 9 months (stopped August 2020) and was completely cleared by my doctor after the fact saying my condition had been resolved, and have not had any issues since.

After reading the NAMI waiver guide, I read that OCD was waiverable given that the candidate has been cleared and medication free for at least a year.

Obviously I will not know until I discuss with a recruiter, but does anyone know the chance of a waiver being approved in this case? By the time I eventually put together a package, it will be well over 2 years since I was fully cleared. Besides this I am in very good health and shape as I was a collegiate athlete.

Apologies for the long post and I appreciate any help and advice.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Obviously I will not know until I discuss with a recruiter, but does anyone know the chance of a waiver being approved in this case? By the time I eventually put together a package, it will be well over 2 years since I was fully cleared. Besides this I am in very good health and shape as I was a collegiate athlete.

Just like many mental health conditions, it’s going to be a case by case basis decision here.