• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OAR test sites and Tutor?

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
Re-studying for the OAR and I have studied material but curious if there is a place to find OAR test centers and possibility a tutor?
I used YouTube. There are plenty of study material there including the astb. You could also buy the astb book. You can find a tutor on YouTube as well. I have a contact who tutors for the astb, he’s a former pilot.

I used YouTube. There are plenty of study material there including the astb. You could also buy the astb book. You can find a tutor on YouTube as well. I have a contact who tutors for the astb, he’s a former pilot.
So that covers the OAR plus the expanded topics for the ATSB correct? I would definitely be interested in his contact. This will be my one and only shot due to the time in service restriction after the June 3rd deadline.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
Yes. His name is Kieno Thomas, he has a few YouTube videos regarding the ASTB and all of their topics
(908) 315-4066

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Also, check out khan academy for individual subjects that you might need help in.

exNavyOffRec

Have you taken a practice test to narrow down the areas you need to study in? Have you already taken the OAR previously?

Yes. His name is Kieno Thomas, he has a few YouTube videos regarding the ASTB and all of their topics
(908) 315-4066

he tutors via Skype.
Have you taken a practice test to narrow down the areas you need to study in? Have you already taken the OAR previously?
I took the OAR last week scored a 39. Surprisingly the math had me feeling good the reading portion had me 50/50 but the mechanical math part really got me and a ran out of time. Too much wasted time instead of educated guess. I estimate I might have raised me score to a 45 if I had at least answered all of the questions before the time ran out.

exNavyOffRec

I took the OAR last week scored a 39. Surprisingly the math had me feeling good the reading portion had me 50/50 but the mechanical math part really got me and a ran out of time. Too much wasted time instead of educated guess. I estimate I might have raised me score to a 45 if I had at least answered all of the questions before the time ran out.
There is a 30 day wait between test so you have 3 weeks to study and do better.

The test is adaptive, and so it will determine where you plateau and the test will end, if you ran out of time it indicates the system couldn't determine if you were continuing to do well or if you plateaued so it is probable that if you had finished the questions the score would have been about the same.

Take a practice test and identify the areas of concern.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm iffy recommending candidates fork over money for personal "tutors" and whatnot for the ASTB.

The ASTB is NOT the MCAT, GMAT, GRE, etc. where it's highly recommended you put in the money to take courses, etc. in order to prepare. Maybe pay $20 for a book or two, but it is not intended for you to have to spend a lot of money.

Focus on your test taking skills. I feel most of how to best prepare is to have good test taking skills, not so much being "smart".

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
I'm iffy recommending candidates fork over money for personal "tutors" and whatnot for the ASTB.

The ASTB is NOT the MCAT, GMAT, GRE, etc. where it's highly recommended you put in the money to take courses, etc. in order to prepare. Maybe pay $20 for a book or two, but it is not intended for you to have to spend a lot of money.

Focus on your test taking skills. I feel most of how to best prepare is to have good test taking skills, not so much being "smart".
That's true, Youtube and the astb book helped me the most. I gave one of applicants my old book to study while she dual processes

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
So that covers the OAR plus the expanded topics for the ATSB correct? I would definitely be interested in his contact. This will be my one and only shot due to the time in service restriction after the June 3rd deadline.
Yes, there is an entire youtube section specifically for astb. If you want to get really specific searching "mechanical comprehension, or physics will point you to the right direction. the youtube channel "Organic Chemistry" is very helpful has he has many topics to go over and helps for students preparing for the SATs. If you do well on the SATs you are bound to do well on the OAR. If you decide to use the tutor, he will analysis and see what phandementals you are missing and start tutoring from there. You still have to put in the work to study. Hes meant as a guide. There are a few practice test online. before I took the OAR, my issue was getting my timing down for these math problems and mechanical comprehension. Once i was able to solve math problems in a timely manner, the more confident i became. This test is adaptive so it gets harder the more questions you get right. The highest math I saw was Trig with some calc, couldn't remember how to do the trig and calc problems so I'm sure i got those questions wrong. I took calculus back in 2012 and I got a c+ at that. Definitely lost fundamentals on derivatives etc

Last edited: