• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OAR TEST SERIOUS HELP PLEASE

matt kay

So ,
I m 35 yo , decided to enlist and I did , with a ship-date in November ...
although my recruiters thought with my credentials ( college and work ) to get me to go as an officer ...
So I took my OAR test ( vs ASTB it only has Math , verbal and mechanical comprehension ) which is way harder to score due to the lesser amounts of questions vs the ASTB
I scored 48 , and they want me to get over 50 , so I m taking it again on Sept as a final hope , everything depends on that coming Sept. score .
my problems are not the Math as I always finished the questions with more time left and had very less trouble with , so as the verbal ...
my real problem is the mechanical . 30 Qs , in 15 mins , which I always run out of time , yet studied from your gouges , OAR guide and the Master the ASTB book , and though I covered everything . but I didn't , as a lot of questions were very challenging and out of what them books covered , in subjects as Gravity , electrical , thermal and pulleys system .
anyone can help me find a perfect study guide so I ace this test ...
I m a fairly smart individual , but most of these stuff I studied in high school which was way way back ...
I really appreciate any help or advice , my future depends on this coming test ..

thanks
Matt

mb1685

Watch the physics videos on khanacademy.org. Some of them get into more math than you need to worry about, but those turned out to be the most helpful for me for brushing up on concepts.

matt kay

Watch the physics videos on khanacademy.org. Some of them get into more math than you need to worry about, but those turned out to be the most helpful for me for brushing up on concepts.
thank you for the fast reply ,
I followed the link but which Math would benefit me as there are many levels on that website ?
and what about the mechanical aptitude, which i have the most problems ?

mb1685

I was talking about the physics videos on the site, since they will aid you in learning the concepts you'll encounter on the mechanical comprehension subtest. I was just saying that those physics videos sometimes focus quite a bit on math/formulas, and you don't need to concern yourself much with the mathematical aspects of physics since the questions are mainly conceptual.

matt kay

I was talking about the physics videos on the site, since they will aid you in learning the concepts you'll encounter on the mechanical comprehension subtest. I was just saying that those physics videos sometimes focus quite a bit on math/formulas, and you don't need to concern yourself much with the mathematical aspects of physics since the questions are mainly conceptual.
that was very helpful , thank you
any idea how to practice to may be fasten my time instead of me running out of time answering them on the test ?
also do you have any clue how do they grade OAR ? AS which section get most marks ??

thanks again

mb1685

I don't think the Navy has, or will, release information about exactly how the test is scored.

In my experience with the mechanical comprehension section, most of the questions are "know it or you don't" types, so just try not to overthink anything. I only had about 2 problems that required any math and they were simple, like balancing a lever and calculating mechanical advantage of an inclined plane. Some questions require a little bit of pondering but it really shouldn't be anything too time consuming if you understand the concept. Just try not to dwell on any questions. If you're starting to rack your brain and you're still not coming to a conclusion, make an educated guess and move on.

exNavyOffRec

So ,
I m 35 yo , decided to enlist and I did , with a ship-date in November ...
although my recruiters thought with my credentials ( college and work ) to get me to go as an officer ...
So I took my OAR test ( vs ASTB it only has Math , verbal and mechanical comprehension ) which is way harder to score due to the lesser amounts of questions vs the ASTB
I scored 48 , and they want me to get over 50 , so I m taking it again on Sept as a final hope , everything depends on that coming Sept. score .
my problems are not the Math as I always finished the questions with more time left and had very less trouble with , so as the verbal ...
my real problem is the mechanical . 30 Qs , in 15 mins , which I always run out of time , yet studied from your gouges , OAR guide and the Master the ASTB book , and though I covered everything . but I didn't , as a lot of questions were very challenging and out of what them books covered , in subjects as Gravity , electrical , thermal and pulleys system .
anyone can help me find a perfect study guide so I ace this test ...
I m a fairly smart individual , but most of these stuff I studied in high school which was way way back ...
I really appreciate any help or advice , my future depends on this coming test ..

thanks
Matt

Given your age you qualify for very few programs, and a 2 point difference is going to mean anything, the programs you qualify for are IDC and they have a very low selection rate, do you have a very high college GPA?

I am not sure what your goals were when you walked into a recruiting office but I get the feeling either you were mislead about something from the beginning or someone put ideas in your head that aren't realistic.

matt kay

Given your age you qualify for very few programs, and a 2 point difference is going to mean anything, the programs you qualify for are IDC and they have a very low selection rate, do you have a very high college GPA?

I am not sure what your goals were when you walked into a recruiting office but I get the feeling either you were mislead about something from the beginning or someone put ideas in your head that aren't realistic.
I m a med school grad actually and till I finish my board and residency , my Rec officers adviced that I could qualify for some and asked me to take the OAR for an active duty or wait for the Intel board for a reserve ....
The reason they asked me to do that is I enlisted as a reserve and have a ship out date November , and they are trying to get me the best option ...

exNavyOffRec

I m a med school grad actually and till I finish my board and residency , my Rec officers adviced that I could qualify for some and asked me to take the OAR for an active duty or wait for the Intel board for a reserve ....
The reason they asked me to do that is I enlisted as a reserve and have a ship out date November , and they are trying to get me the best option ...

med school, why aren't you applying to be a navy doc?

matt kay

med school, why aren't you applying to be a navy doc?
Well ,
to make the long story short lol ...I graduated from a med school outside the US ( although I m a US citizen ) , but I have not done my boards yet nor residency . till then I wanted to sign up as an enlisted reserve ,when all the recruiters at the DSCC really got interested in me and getting me in the officer core ....they seemed very optimistic , and i m just trying my best to do my best ....with the enlisted part I dont ship out till November , so me taking the OAR again in Sept would be my last chance

exNavyOffRec

Well ,
to make the long story short lol ...I graduated from a med school outside the US ( although I m a US citizen ) , but I have not done my boards yet nor residency . till then I wanted to sign up as an enlisted reserve ,when all the recruiters at the DSCC really got interested in me and getting me in the officer core ....they seemed very optimistic , and i m just trying my best to do my best ....with the enlisted part I dont ship out till November , so me taking the OAR again in Sept would be my last chance

somethings fishy, if you take the OAR in September you won't have a chance to go to board before before you are supposed to go to boot camp

matt kay

The board, if it happens as scheduled will be in September, that means the deadline is in August
I was told by my recruit officer when he checked the applications time lines , that for an active intel you could apply anytime no board deadlines giving you have the suitable score , but for the reserve intel the board meets twice a year which I would have to wait till March for their next meeting and no test required

exNavyOffRec

I was told by my recruit officer when he checked the applications time lines , that for an active intel you could apply anytime no board deadlines giving you have the suitable score , but for the reserve intel the board meets twice a year which I would have to wait till March for their next meeting and no test required
I don't know when or if it was ever like that for IDC, there is a schedule that list board dates, and application due dates