• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OAR Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

allenj3

Hi everyone!

I hope someone is able to provide some assistance. I just took the OAR after honestly only studying for a week and recieved a 45. I want a 60 so I am scheduled to retake at the end of August. I just turned 28 and I've been a school counselor for 3 years(some background). My recruiter informed me he could not give me any suggestions on where or how to study for the OAR which is unfortunate for me considering many of you were given book suggestions and even study guides from your reecruiters. I was introduced to this site 3 days before my scheduled date and this appeares to have been very helpful for many of you.

To wrap this up as I learn how to navigate throughout this site please point me in the direction of some quides, books or any additional resources that will help me study.

THANKS!!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe you should have studied for the test like it mattered. I guess the school counselor gig didn't teach you anything.

Since you want me to do your homework, here's where I'd start.
Check out this sub board: ASTB
Gouge Download: Gouge

Good luck on your re-test....maybe studying a bit more will improve your luck.

allenj3

Maybe you should have studied for the test like it mattered. I guess the school counselor gig didn't teach you anything.

Since you want me to do your homework, here's where I'd start.
Check out this sub board: ASTB
Gouge Download: Gouge

Good luck on your re-test....maybe studying a bit more will improve your luck.

Thanks but there was no need to be rude. Honestly I wanted to see where I was on my own I am going to study more and harder for the retake.

Reactions: vep

abctotheabc

If I were you, I'd delay re-taking. Use this site to get more information, more resources, and take your time to study. You already took it once and got a 40. You don't want to take it again and not get a good score and be left with only one more attempt. This site is a goldmine of information from people who have been taking this test since the early 2000s. Just take the time to actually go through everything on here. Don't rush it because you want to get in faster. The Navy will still be here in a couple months and still be accepting people.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi everyone!

I hope someone is able to provide some assistance. I just took the OAR after honestly only studying for a week and recieved a 45. I want a 60 so I am scheduled to retake at the end of August. I just turned 28 and I've been a school counselor for 3 years(some background). My recruiter informed me he could not give me any suggestions on where or how to study for the OAR which is unfortunate for me considering many of you were given book suggestions and even study guides from your reecruiters. I was introduced to this site 3 days before my scheduled date and this appeares to have been very helpful for many of you.

To wrap this up as I learn how to navigate throughout this site please point me in the direction of some quides, books or any additional resources that will help me study.

THANKS!!
Thanks but there was no need to be rude. Honestly I wanted to see where I was on my own I am going to study more and harder for the retake.

He wasn’t being rude, but rather candid. As a potential naval officer, i would expect you to search around the forums to find your own answer. There are thousands here who have gone before you here, to include hundreds who have struggled tacking the ASTB/OAR.

For future reference, if you want to be helped here, at least do the homework and research before asking. More than likely it’s been asked before.

Luck favors the prepared by the way...

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Anthony gave you really good gouge, OP. Be mindful that the OAR has a 3-try lifetime cap. They take the newest score, not the best out of 3. I would delay your retake until you really feel good about the test, and remember it is adaptive so never the same twice or the exact same for two different people. All of the study materials here will be on stuff that *may* appear on the test when you take it again. That is the strategy for the OAR; study components that may appear on the test itself and be prepared for what does arise. I test like garbage so don't use my OAR score as an example lol

allenj3

He wasn’t being rude, but rather candid. As a potential naval officer, i would expect you to search around the forums to find your own answer. There are thousands here who have gone before you here, to include hundreds who have struggled tacking the ASTB/OAR.

For future reference, if you want to be helped here, at least do the homework and research before asking. More than likely it’s been asked before.

Luck favors the prepared by the way...

As I stated I was new to the site and just asked a question. To be recieved negativity and given these “candid” responses because I asked a question isn’t at all helpful. Several individuals here has asked similar questions without receiving comments implying they were inadequate and/or lacked preparational skills of some kind. Especially on a forum that was created for people to ask for assistance or questions. I don’t need the luck from anyone with ill intent. I will receive the score I desire from assistance of helpful individuals on reliable resources and my own accord.

Thanks!

allenj3

If I were you, I'd delay re-taking. Use this site to get more information, more resources, and take your time to study. You already took it once and got a 40. You don't want to take it again and not get a good score and be left with only one more attempt. This site is a goldmine of information from people who have been taking this test since the early 2000s. Just take the time to actually go through everything on here. Don't rush it because you want to get in faster. The Navy will still be here in a couple months and still be accepting people.
Thank you .. you make a great point!

allenj3

Anthony gave you really good gouge, OP. Be mindful that the OAR has a 3-try lifetime cap. They take the newest score, not the best out of 3. I would delay your retake until you really feel good about the test, and remember it is adaptive so never the same twice or the exact same for two different people. All of the study materials here will be on stuff that *may* appear on the test when you take it again. That is the strategy for the OAR; study components that may appear on the test itself and be prepared for what does arise. I test like garbage so don't use my OAR score as an example lol
If you don’t mind me asking what did you score? What did you find to be difficult?

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
If you don’t mind me asking what did you score? What did you find to be difficult?
I don't mind, it is on my profile too with the rest of my stats if you wanted a better idea. A lot of us have our full stats on our profile so that newcomers can see what selectees looked like throughout the years. I scored a 47 and I steadfastly refused to retake it before resubmitting later down the road.

I submitted to IWC and Supply my very first application and received 2 PROREC-Ns (this means no), and then I applied two separate times to SWO which also resulted in PROREC-Ns (later I discovered this was because my waiver disqualified me for the SWO designator so my application should never have even made it that far once, let alone twice). Finally, I applied one last time to IWC and I was PROREC-Y (yes/selected).

Things have changed since I was selected; new Program Authorizations from I believe June, have stated new eligibility requirements in order to apply. (You can find relevant information for your particular concerns in the subsection of the forum that coincides with the designator you are interested in). The minimum OAR scores and GPAs have gone up. The minimum OAR when I applied for IWC was 45, I believe it is now 50.

Anyway, so. I struggle very hard with math. I did very very well on the reading comprehension, fair on the mechanical comprehension, and utter shit on the math. I knew, in my soul, that I was going to do worse should I end up retaking the test. So I personally knew what best to do for myself. But you do have to make changes to your application before being allowed to resubmit (for future consideration). It's definitely something to talk to your OR about should that be a concern in the future for you.

Edit: forgot some words

allenj3

Thanks very helpful. I got a 45 but I really want at least a 60. I didn’t study as hard as I know I could’ve. So with this site and tips from people who has actually taken it I think in two months I’ll be ready! I’ll start going to view member pages and view scores and etc to get a better idea. Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
As I stated I was new to the site and just asked a question. To be recieved negativity and given these “candid” responses because I asked a question isn’t at all helpful. Several individuals here has asked similar questions without receiving comments implying they were inadequate and/or lacked preparational skills of some kind. Especially on a forum that was created for people to ask for assistance or questions. I don’t need the luck from anyone with ill intent. I will receive the score I desire from assistance of helpful individuals on reliable resources and my own accord.

Thanks!

Yes, and just like those several individuals before you they weren’t scrutized just like you. You were politiely recommended to search on your own and you took it the wrong way.

Big picture, if you are getting butt hurt over small things like that... the Navy might not be the right fit for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.