• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NUPOC Interview questions

nuls2835

UPDATE: I went to DC for my interviews last week, and I was accepted into the program. I felt good about my first interview (passed), felt like I got crushed in my 2nd interview (passed), and absolutely dominated the Admiral interview. Most of my confidence was derived from the information provided from this forum. No joke. The proper explanation of the process really gave me a better context of the situation which I know gave me a leg up on the other guys. To each of you who added input to this discussion I want to say Thank You.

The questions I got in my interviews are below.

nuls2835

Interview #1:
Question #1: Imagine you are stading on top of the Naval Reactors building. There is a glass of water on the ground and a straw extending to your mouth. Can you physically drink out of the straw?
--Assume height of the building is 20m, the straw won't collapse, and there is enough water to travel through the straw.
Question #2: Imagine a perfectly insulated room, lets say 10'x10'. There is a refridgerator in the middle on a table, and you open the door with it running. You leave for a week. What should you expect when you return?

Interview #2:
Question #1: There is a block suspended by 2 wires. The block weighs 50N. The first wire is on top, but angled at45 degrees from the top of the box. The second wire is on the side, angled at 10 degrees below horizontal. If the tension on second wire is 30N (you can make up a value here), what is the tension in the first wire?

Question #2: Derive the volume of a sphere.

Question #3: Given the mass of a track, the space shuttle (and trailor), prove that the truck has enough torque to pull the shuttle.
---I completely bombed this question. I have no idea how to even start this problem.

Question #4: Given a nut and wrench with length L, find how much torque is produced when force F is applied to the wrench.

Admiral Interview:
-- I don't know if mine was different than most, but the first thing he did was look me square in the eyes and ask why I want to do submaries. For the love of God, LOOK HIM IN THE EYE, and KNOW THIS ANSWER!!! Also, I would have answers 3-4 questions deep. He will pry into anything you say, so if you cannot talk about it for 5 minutes, don't give it up. He WILL kick you out of his office if you don't know something (but everyone who gets kicked out gets accepted). I was lucky that I had good hobbies (Storm Chasing and Umpiring) that I could talk all day about and compare to being a Naval Officer so I never stuttered and was very confident.

I hope that this finds somebody well and helps them to prepare a little bit better.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Interview #1:
Question #1: Imagine you are stading on top of the Naval Reactors building. There is a glass of water on the ground and a straw extending to your mouth. Can you physically drink out of the straw?
--Assume height of the building is 20m, the straw won't collapse, and there is enough water to travel through the straw.
Question #2: Imagine a perfectly insulated room, lets say 10'x10'. There is a refridgerator in the middle on a table, and you open the door with it running. You leave for a week. What should you expect when you return?

Interview #2:
Question #1: There is a block suspended by 2 wires. The block weighs 50N. The first wire is on top, but angled at45 degrees from the top of the box. The second wire is on the side, angled at 10 degrees below horizontal. If the tension on second wire is 30N (you can make up a value here), what is the tension in the first wire?

Question #3: Given the mass of a track, the space shuttle (and trailor), prove that the truck has enough torque to pull the shuttle.
---I completely bombed this question. I have no idea how to even start this problem.

Question #4: Given a nut and wrench with length L, find how much torque is produced when force F is applied to the wrench.

Admiral Interview:
-- I don't know if mine was different than most, but the first thing he did was look me square in the eyes and ask why I want to do submaries. For the love of God, LOOK HIM IN THE EYE, and KNOW THIS ANSWER!!! Also, I would have answers 3-4 questions deep. He will pry into anything you say, so if you cannot talk about it for 5 minutes, don't give it up. He WILL kick you out of his office if you don't know something (but everyone who gets kicked out gets accepted). I was lucky that I had good hobbies (Storm Chasing and Umpiring) that I could talk all day about and compare to being a Naval Officer so I never stuttered and was very confident.

I hope that this finds somebody well and helps them to prepare a little bit better.

Everyone has a "style", but this is good stuff. Great post!

exNavyOffRec

Interview #1:

Interview #2:

Admiral Interview:

Good info, I used to have the guys about to go to interview sit down with the guys I had that just came back.

nuls2835

Here's another nugget for those interested: Spend time prepping for the Admiral interview. Yes, you want to spend as much time prepping for the calc/physics stuff, but quite frankly it is silly not to spend an equitable amount of time on the Admiral, since he alone has the power to accept you regardless of how the technical interviews went. Personally, I practiced my greeting to the admiral 300-400 times. My reason for this is that I knew even if I was nervous I would be able to spit this out with confidence and at least make a decent first impression. It worked. I walked in, stated my greeting while taking my seat, and felt much more comfortable once I knew I didn't lock up or stutter.
Spend time asking yourself questions 2-3 layers deep. Again, if you volunteer information and its just a line from a book or some sappy cleche, the Admiral will call your bluff and embarass you. I spent hours reciting my greeting, writing scripts for questions I might get, practicing my delivery, and having my wife ask me random questions. Time spent on the Admiral interview is worth its weight in gold if you utilize it properly.