• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSI- What to bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
Can somebody clarify for me exactly what you need to bring to NSI? I know there is a list on the STA website, but it's wrong. A friend's hubby was selected last year, and they bought everything on the list (inspection ready utilities, new boots, a bunch of other stuff) and it turns out that he didn't need those uniforms at all. (Apparently, they wore sweats for the first week or so until they got their OC uniforms). I am going to ask her for clarification, but I was hoping somebody on here could give me the specifics.

STA-21-INTEL

It's true that the first week of two NSI folks are in sweats. It's duign this time that the uniforms they are issued are getting altered. They do need their working blues, LEATHER shoes, raincoat, and accessories. Keep in mind that they give you an allowance to buy all uniform items you'll need when you get here, but from what I'm being told by my friends on the other side of the building, it doesn't quite cover it all. I am trying to buy a couple articles here and there to defer the cost then finish it out when I get the allowance. I've also heard, though, that a few folks got burned by not bringing a full seabag (including utilities, etc) because they didn't think they'd need them. I'd just be safe and bring what he has but not buy anything new for enlisted uniforms.

boobcheese

Tell your hubby to bring anything from his current seabag that would transfer over to an officers seabag. Such as raincoat, working blues, peacoat, black dress shoes and if he has an Eisenhower jacket he can just have the epilets sewn on. Also if you don't yet have a Star Card from the exchange you should get one. You get a 10% discount on your first purchase and you can pay the whole thing off at once when he gets his initial clothing allowance. With a complete seabag somewhere in the $1500 dollar range it is definitely worth your while. I wish someone would have told me all of this before I went through it probabaly would have saved me about $300-400.

boobcheese

Forgot to mention in the above post that he should also make sure to bring 2 or more sets of regulation PT gear depending on how often he likes to do laundry. :icon_mi_1

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
You can't convert the Eisenhower jacket... the collars are different, and the shoulders are padded.

Beyond that, I wouldn't want to use the winter blue shirts... I know the pants are the service dress blue pants for officers, but my winter blue shirt is patched, and wouldn't it be unsat to wear the shirt with the patch torn? Not that it matters, I've never known an officer to wear winter blue or winter working blue.

boobcheese

My bad, you are right about the collars on the Eisenhower jacket. As far as the winter blues I know if you report for the June class you will probably never have to actually wear them. I'm not sure if those that are there during the winter wear them or not but like you said officers never wear them(i haven't seen a single one in my six years). You will have a seabag inspection prior to leaving NSI to just verify that you have a full officer's seabag. So as long as you have something to show them you should be fine. Either way it certainly won't hurt to bring them.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
STA-21-INTEL said:
They do need their working blues, LEATHER shoes, raincoat, and accessories. Keep in mind that they give you an allowance to buy all uniform items you'll need when you get here, but from what I'm being told by my friends on the other side of the building, it doesn't quite cover it all. I am trying to buy a couple articles here and there to defer the cost then finish it out when I get the allowance. I've also heard, though, that a few folks got burned by not bringing a full seabag (including utilities, etc) because they didn't think they'd need them. I'd just be safe and bring what he has but not buy anything new for enlisted uniforms.
I was there May-July 03, and we didn't even touch our enlisted uniforms once we got there. I brought the bare necessities, and didn't even need that. I reported in my dress whites (which isn't really necessary if you're checking in on a weekend), and that was it.
As for the uniform allowance, it does cover everything on the official uniform requirements list, even if you're starting with nothing, like I was. At least it did when I was there. I bought everything required by the list, and still made about $100. So don't sweat that. Someone else posted about the Star Card. Fantastic idea if you don't already have one. Just wait to get it until the end, when you're required to pay for everything (this is because you won't get some of your items, e.g. Chokers, tailored stuff, until close to the end).
Back tothe original question, though...
The necessities are at least 2 complete sets of PT gear (incl. sweats). Go for the hooded sweatshirts--trust me. Tennis shoes, towels, underdrawers, t-shirts, socks, etc. This stuff is all common sense. As far as enlisted uniforms--I don't want to say your hubby doesn't need 'em, but like I said, WE never touched them. Someone else recommended bringing any enlisted items which will transfer--good idea. If you're not sure what will transfer, tell your hubby to ask an officer where he's at.
And civvies--as many as he thinks he'll need, but keep in mind that storage space is limited--two large drawers in his bunk, a small 3-drawer under-desk bureau, and a large stand-up locker (about the size of a large linen closet). And ALOT of this room will be occupied by the new uni's that he'll be buying.
HANDY ITEMS (though not required)--iron, small ironing board, pens, notebook paper, notebooks, starch, etc. If he doesn't have something he needs, or doesn't have room/doesn't want to pack it, there's a pretty decent NEX there. And although it's a long drive, I highly recommend he drives up there, seeing as how you're in Charleston. I didn't (I had already moved my family to AZ), and I HATED not having my own car. Still had a blast, though.
Tell him I said Good Luck!

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
Thanks for the info, nfo2b. He has been strongly considering driving up there (we're from the DC area, so he can stop halfway at his mom's house, which is convenient.)

Status
Not open for further replies.