• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSI start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know when the previous pilot selectees started NSI? I'm afraid it won't be until fall 05 which will mean we will start school spring 06. But if it is earlier I would just like to get accept to my university and get a degree plan so I will be ready. I think there are 3 NSI classes (spring, summer, and fall). I talked to the STA people and they said just wait 3 weeks for your info package. But in the faq it says this:

Q: When will I be issued orders to begin the program?
A: You will receive orders once you have submitted an acceptance letter, valid degree plan, HIV results, and been determined physically qualified by BUMED.

:confused:

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
Why not just apply to the school for next fall? If you find out you won't be starting school until the following spring, you can just defer your admission until then.

I don't know the NSI start dates, my hubby is going to a class/briefing tomorrow morning, so I assume he'll get some info then. He applied to the college he wanted the day after he found out he was selected. We are anticipating him going to NSI in Feb (nuke option), but don't know anything specific, yet.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
If you look at the navadmin that is out w/ selectees it says in paragraph D. (I think) that you don't need a degree plan until after you get your NSI class date. Because that is time specific.

boobcheese

It is true that the NAVADMIN says it is not necessary to pursue a degree plan until you find out your start date. However, some schools take a long time before getting around to reviewing your application and sending out acceptance letters. Nukewife has the right idea, go ahead and apply for the earliest semester that you think you may actually begin school and it shouldn't take more than a phone call to defer defer your admission should it become necessary. This is actually what I had to do because they ended up pushing back my start date back from what they originally told me. Worst case scenario they(your prospective college) might make you file another admissions application and you'll be out $30-40. Also I had a very difficult time getting accepted into college due to my prior academic performance(about 90hrs with < 2.0 GPA). If anyone else is in this situation you have to be very proactive to actually get into a host college. I actually got a rejection letter from my current school and had to call the dean of admissions to plead my case. I'm sure that you will all be happy to hear that since arriving here I have maintained a 4.0 GPA in an engineering major for the past three semester. I'm sorry I can't help tooting my own horn but my point is be proactive and don't take no for an answer.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Another thing, I had contacted the LT at the NROTC unit for the school I'm applying. He said if I have any trouble w/ admission give him a call because he knows the people in admissions. This is may be true at many schools. So, I would say give the NROTC unit a call as well. I also found out there were two other STA-21 people there one of which is doing an EE degree in three years. Somthing the engineering department told me you couldn't do.

Country Boy

Proud Father
It's not impossible to get an engineering degree. It depends on which school you go to. For example, at Univ of Washington, I know an OC who's get an EE degree with no prior credits with no problems. Every nuclear option selectee HAS to get an engineering degree and look at how many selectees there are for that! It really mostly depends on the school and probably the only places that will work with you and try to make it easy on you for engineering would be the nuclear option schools which are listed on the STA-21 website.

Country Boy

Proud Father
And to second what dtirey is saying, since you're not required to get a technical degree, don't try to unless you really want it. Most nuclear OC's have an average of 20 credit hours in the spring and fall semesters and 15-17 in the summer.

boobcheese

If you already have some college credits I wouldn't shy away from an engineering degree if its really what you want. I personaly had quite a bit of prior college but the only credits that I had that are actually counting towards my engineering degree are electives and core curriculum stuff (i.e. english and humanities) and even with those I still had to take an english lit class and psychology. With my current degree plan I am taking an average of 15hrs each Spring/Fall semester and 10hrs each Summer and this includes me getting a minor in business along the way. One important factor which has already been mentioned is the availability of classes but as long as you pick a large school they tend offer almost every course every single semester including Summers. If you have a few months before you detatch and a supportive command I would strongly recommend taking atvantage of tuition assistance(100%) and knocking out a couple of math/english courses while you can. This will make life much easier no matter what degree you end up seeking.

STA21pilot

eazymfme said:
I talked to the STA people and they said just wait 3 weeks for your info package. But in the faq it says this:

Q: When will I be issued orders to begin the program?
A: You will receive orders once you have submitted an acceptance letter, valid degree plan, HIV results, and been determined physically qualified by BUMED.

:confused:

Anyone got their packet yet???

Has anyone started mailing off their information?

Are we sending out the originals from our Physicals?

Status
Not open for further replies.