• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Fowler

Hey everyone, I'm 17 and will be in my senior year of HS next year, I am very interested in NROTC (definitely doing it, even if I don't get the scholarship) and wondering if anyone here took that route. Most of the talk I see is about OCS, are the horror stories I'm hearing about OCS PT true for NROTC as well?? Not that I can't handle it (I've wanted to fly Tomcats my whole life so I can handle anything, just it will be painful as hell), and anyway my dad made it thru OCS and he was less of an athlete than I am but I am just wondering what I should expect. I'm in decent shape but not great, I'm not much of a runner at all--absolutely dead after a 7-minute mile. Not that I can't work on this (I ran winter track last year to get in shape for lacrosse, which helped a lot) but if anyone had any info to help me out that'd be much appreciated. Like I said I'm doing NROTC even if I don't get the scholarship and for whatever reason can't fly (the only reason I wouldn't is if I get DQed for some bs medical reason I don't know about now) but I've wanted to fly Tomcats my whole life (they just better still be around when I get out into the fleet!) Thanks in advance

Alex

"It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away"-U2

ASUPilot

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but considering that you're 17 and the Navy is currently in the process of retiring the Tomcat, I'd say it's a safe bet to wager that you won't ever fly Tomcats. NROTC is an excellent choice and you won't regret it. You're young...commit to a serious physical regiment and you'll be fine. Keep your head up and focus in school...SCHOOL is your number 1 priority right now! Everything else will fall into place as necessary.

ASUPilot

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well Alex,
I have to agree with ASU on both counts. School is all that matters. Keep that GPA up. By the time you hit the fleet, you'll be 24-25 years of age and sadly, all that beautiful Grumman Iron will be an artificial reef somewhere. By the time you get there, everything will be plastic. In regards to PT, just keep running and lifting, you'll be fine. Always remember, Navy physical readiness is an oxymoron like military intelligence! Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

ASUPilot

Spidrwmn...my AF package is done but I'm just waiting for my EPSQ results, my Security Clearance, and for my final physical at Luke AFB. When I originally sent in my AF package they selected me for pilot using the physical I received from NOMI when I was after the Navy gig last summer. Well, now as OTS approaches the AF wants me to get a Flying Class I physical from Luke AFB...I am scheduled for that 31 July 01. Because all of the sh!t wasn't together in time I was rolled out of the 9 July 01 OTS class and am now tenatively scheduled for the 20 August 01 class. I'm so ready to get this show on the road so I pray that I won't have to negotiate any more unforseen obstacles.

Frumby...You're certainly an assertive Marine when it comes to establishing that Marines are superior in terms of physical conditioning. From my exposure to military Officers I would agree with you for the most part. However, I have a two buddies who spent 11 years in the Navy flying who came in back in the 80's when the Navy still had AOCS. These guys are animals and said that AOCS was no bullsh!t! In fact, one of them is an IP @ Pcola right now and he just can't believe all the SNAP's he has to deal with...suffice to say he's happy to be starting DAL ground school next month. Back to my point...AOCS was run by Marines trying to kill Navy pilot wannabe's and my friends always thought, in the fleet, that they were a little better than the USNA & NROTC guys because their uniforms were perfect, they had better haircuts and they for the most part could out PT just about anyone. Apparently the Navy wasn't so "soft" a few years ago.

Alex Fowler

Thanks for the help ASU and Frumby. I'm sure I'll do fine with the PT once it comes down to it, I think it's probably just me getting myself worried about it. As for the Tomcats, unfortunately yeah I know they're supposed to go out of service soon. I heard the last Tomcats are supposed to fly in 2010, so if everything with me goes according to schedule and the Navy pushes that date back a year I've still got a shot (if I worked it out correctly I'd be entering the fleet in 2008, and tours are 3 years right?). Not that I wouldn't love to fly a Hornet, Raptor or helo either of course.

Alex

"It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away"-U2

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
ASU,
Ok, you've called me on the carpet. I wouldn't be a good third generation Marine if I didn't take my shots at the Navy. The PT in both OCS and Navy OCS is difficult but not impossible. What it really teaches is mind of matter. OCS, at least Marine OCS and I think it isn't much different then the Navy, is designed to break you down and keep you down. Honestly, they want YOU to quit but they will not quit on you if you keep trying. Much different then Bootcamp which strips you of your civilian ways and remotivates you into a Marine or squid (sorry, bad habit). The idea being if they can break an Officer Candidate in OCS then he may break in combat. Those candidates need to be "weeded out." Its not just about wanting to be a pilot but more importantly, an Officer in the USMC or USN. Forget the rigors of the PT. Prepare for it but just forget about it. Just ensure that you never quit on yourself and you'll survive and will be a better person for it. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Beowulf

Hey, just like Alex I'm applying for NROTC. I'm going into my senior year at high school and by far the most important thing is working hard in school. I'm really active in school and I have around a 3.8gpa as well as being in assorted clubs and the national honor society. I've talked to my ROTC officer and he stresses that so much. I have my ROTC interview tomorrow, so I'm kind of nervous. I'm making my resume at this very moment. I'm really hoping I get this. That way I get two for one. I get into the Navy as an officer and I don't have to pay for college. "Can life get any better? I submit that it cannot!" Brian Regan

Edited by - Beowulf on 08/06/2001 15:36:21

Status
Not open for further replies.