• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC without scholarship?

DecodaGrant

I just wanted to know if the college I go to has nrotc, can I join it without the scholarship? Is it really hard to get accepted. Was just curious because wanted to go the rotc route, but my gpa is only a 3.1 (h.s) and don't feel like I havent done enough for the scholarship!

DecodaGrant

Solved! Just little requirements to meet, but I can join without the scholarship. My new question: the Site says you can only pick 1 of the three options (nurse, navy, marines) so if I chose navy then there's no way I could try to fly for marines? Just curious!

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to be a Marine aviator you need to choose Marine option. Then, while you're a mid, you can try to get an air contract that would guarantee you flight school after TBS, or compete for an air slot while at TBS.

Just know no matter what you're not guaranteed any type of job after commissioning. If you're a Navy option, there's no guarantee you're going to get to go to flight school. Are you OK with the possibility of ending up a SWO? Same thing for Marine option. Would you be happy being a ground pounder if you couldn't get an air contract/get the MOS at TBS?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Solved! Just little requirements to meet, but I can join without the scholarship. My new question: the Site says you can only pick 1 of the three options (nurse, navy, marines) so if I chose navy then there's no way I could try to fly for marines? Just curious!

I've known several scholarship Midshipmen that started out as Navy (all college program students start out as Navy), then applied for the Marine Corps scholarship after their freshman or sophomore year. Most Marine Officer Instructors (MOI) won't allow Midshipmen to join the Marine side until they've proven themselves or they are on scholarship (pass the Marine Corps PFT, etc).

My advice is to join the Navy ROTC, then if once you are in, start talking with the MOI & AMOI. Hopefully by now you realize that the NROTC does both Navy and Marine students.

-ea6bflyr ;)