• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC vs Academy predicament

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
You've got two great options, and you'll need to see the AFA before you can really make a choice about where you want to spend the next four years. That said, it's only four years. It seems like a huge decision now - service academy vs. ROTC - but at the end of that time, you'll have the commission either way, and the importance of your commissioning source tends to fade over time. If you know for sure that you've got your sights set on the Navy, take the ROTC scholarship and don't think twice. If you go with the AFA, make sure that it's because you want to be in the Air Force, and not because you're set on a service academy.

All that's the long-term view. In the short term, real college is way more fun. I thought I wanted to go to USNA, but I ended up going the OCS route, and I think I got a better college experience and better/more life experience along the way.

I think the bold quoted above is great advice.

I think the italicized text above is stupid and something I've heard countless times over the years, though I think it is false. Of course, it's all opinion based, and I'm not here to get into an Academy pissing match, but there is something to be said of the networks and experiences you get at the Academy.

Aeroshell

Thanks everyone. Now that the shock of getting into the academy has fallen off a bit, I can say its almost easier to make a decision. It seems each branch has its own pros and cons of flying which makes it hard because they are almost level to me. The fact that I have always loved the Navy makes me lean that way.

I see that if I get an ENJJPT slot I can almost be guaranteed fighters upon passing the class of course. Out of UPT its a lot harder. On the other hand, with the Navy, its one thing to get jet grades, but another to be competitive if there are a limited number of slots. And even harder from there to get hornets. I think its just something to consider as I wouldn't mind flying E2s, P8s, or 135s, but I would go for fighters obviously.

I think I will be able to get a slot either way I go. Both training routes (UPT/Primary) seem to be hard in their own ways. However, if I did not get a slot for whatever reason, I would want to be in the Navy to go NFO.

I know the Air Force produces amazing pilots, but I also think that Naval Aviation is far superior. I have had some Primary USAF instructors say this to me. Honestly, I would be happy either way. But I know one way would make me more happy.

I want to study Aero. If I really wanted to go to a test pilot school, I think Purdue is the obvious option considering I would be more of an expert in Aeronautical engineering than what I would get from the USAFA. If you look at ranking, USAFA is 2 and Purdue is 4 I believe. I am splitting hairs at that point. Next year Purdue might be 1...

Following in the footsteps of Neil Armstrong and many other astronauts and great Naval Aviators would be amazing and something that I could only dream of (and of course landing on boats). But also, joining the long blue line as an academy grad, going to ENJJPT, and getting dropped an F-22 would be crazy (or going to the F16 B course at Luke out of UPT). Of course, I still have to get commissioned, so I am only dreaming at this point.

I am not to worried about the tour cycles and deployment lengths that the Navy has. If I have a significant other, flying comes first as I would be living my dream. I know it would also take a toll on me, but I look forward to it. I am also only 18, so its easy to say that now...

It is also interesting that nearly all the Air force people that I have talked to except for the one above told me that there is nothing better than AF flying. You guys are pretty helpful in comparing what you know about the AF with what you have experienced in the Navy and giving an unbiased view.

I have recently been leaning Navy, but a week ago I was the other way. We will see what happens after the visit. I really don't want to base my decision of the looks of the Academy or its reputation as people have stated.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see that if I get an ENJJPT slot I can almost be guaranteed fighters upon passing the class of course. Out of UPT its a lot harder.

That is NOT the case anymore. US students out of ENJJPT get everything from C-130's to KC-10's now though it seems most still get fighters. This thread apparently gives an accurate rundown of all USAF pilot selections, go to page 55 and work backwards for ENJPPT selections (ENJPPT is sometimes noted as 'EN', 'END' is Enid).

Of course you have to get specially selected for ENJJPT in the first place, and that is at the start of flight training. I never liked the 'specialness' of that course, I like the Navy way that gives everyone an equal start and you go from there. The whole thing is very Air Force-ish with its hierarchy and the special treatment, something that extends to the regular USAF in some cases. As an NFO I have found the Navy is much more equal in its treatment of all winged aviators, definitely not perfect but not as tribal or hierarchical as the USAF.

Aeroshell

I am close to making my decision. After visiting USAFA, it looks as though it is a very promising place to keep flying, whether on the flight team, soaring team, or jump team. Other than that, there are many opportunities for other things like sports, clubs or academics in general.

Here is what I have narrowed my thoughts down to. 1) USAFA has professors that are there to teach their cadets. 2) I would presume having a degree from a SA would help to get a job after retirement obviously. But, what about ROTC? I would think that would help also. Or just being a decorated military officer would help. Does anyone have anything to say about that? 3) Might be easier to get a pilot slot at USAFA 4) Many opportunities for flying while I am there.

However, I still desire to be in the Navy. I am not 100% into USAFA yet simply because of my Navy dream. I keep having this mentality that the Navy can't get rid of me that easy. I looked into cross commissioning while I was there. It occurred to me that if I have the desire to cross commission, then there is my answer. But who knows, maybe I would love it there.

So at this point, I am closing the gap on choosing Purdue NROTC. If I do, it will hurt to turn down a SA, but at the end of the day a commission is just a commission as I have been told. I am also starting to see that when I get to Pensacola my commissioning source has already faded as everyone is on level ground again. However, a SA might help me down the road. I know I can re apply to USNA, but that will put me a year behind.

People keep telling me, "USAFA is the obvious choice! Its a good school, and the AF is best if you want to fly." Which makes sense, but I think people forget about Naval Aviation. Its my goal to be a Naval Aviator, and even though its straying me away from a SA, I think having that goal is better than blindly going to USAFA because it is better for me to do 4 years of college saying, "I wish I went to a SA" and 20 years of flying Navy living the dream versus 4 years of attending a SA and 20 years of saying, "I wish I chased my dream of Flying Navy." Not that that would happen, but it describes how I am thinking.

Anyway, I am honored to have this problem no matter how hard and daunting it seems. It really is an interesting problem, but hopefully this thread helps if this happens to other people. Thanks to everyone who has typed up what they thought, it helps.

Last edited:

irish28

pilot
You're what, 18 years old? As you've touched on, you have one awesome decision to make. You can chase rabbit holes and 'what ifs' all day and try to envision the future; its easy and fun to do. But ultimately you have roughly equal chances at future success in either branch, with the limiting factor being your work ethic and determination.

Being from an Academy might help down the road, but only if you capitalize on it. The network from Purdue is the same way. Don't forget about the immediate future (ie, your college experience!) and don't get too wrapped up in how you will think about things in the year 2040. Sounds like you can't go wrong and you're thinking it through well.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
"I wish I went to a SA" and 20 years of flying Navy living the dream versus 4 years of attending a SA and 20 years of saying, "I wish I chased my dream of Flying Navy." Not that that would happen, but it describes how I am thinking.
I think you should temper this with questions like:

"what if I'm assigned a bunch of non-flying jobs after my JO tour and never end up flying again?"
"what if I'm selected SWO or subs (or insert non-flying AF job) instead of aviation?"

...and ditto for the AF side.

I think you should map out some 'due course' and not 'due course' career paths in each service and see what you're most comfortable with if things don't shake out 100% as planned. Those are some shorter-term career decisions you should weigh before you start thinking about how to network a USAFA vs. Purdue degree as a 45 year old military retiree.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Nobody asks me, but... Here in Russia, and everywhere in CIS, every - I mean that, 100% - officer in any branch from О-4 and higher, who has his own children and thinks not only in "military brats" ways (in my mind, this is very stupid way of life), will tell you "f**k the service academies if you have the college/university door at least slightly open for commissioning through ROTC". We the military officers here are 97% graduates of the "service academies", i.e. military colleges (Army, Naval, Air Force, whatever) built along the same lines the West Point and Annapolis were built in 19th century. I don't think Colorado went too far from this old Prussian style of putting the youth in the harm's way. So an advice from the other side of the globe - go NROTC. You will have at least four years of normal life in a modern society. While choosing USAFA you'll probably have the four years of "soft prison". If I were you, my choice will be NROTC.

MiddieQ

pilot
honestly, do yourself and your life a favor and go to real college. It's an unbelievable experience and you won't look back at the best decision you've ever made. I know I didn't when faced with a very similar situation. Most of my academy buddies say that if they had to do it again, they all would've done what I did. Take the NROTC scholarship.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
While I was an ROTC guy and enjoyed my time in normal college, it isn't like girls and fun end at graduation. If there is something you think you would get out of going to a service academy, I wouldn't discount it. There will be plenty of time later in life to hunt endangered girls, and chase birds if you feel you got cheated out of that at USNA. Normal college is awesome though, and if you are on the fence, you wouldn't go wrong there either.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Most of my academy buddies say that if they had to do it again, they all would've done what I did. Take the NROTC scholarship.

I call BS. At least in aviation, which, in general, were higher quality Mids, I can think of 1 guy in my 6 years since graduation who wished he did NROTC.

To the OP, re-read my original post and again, map out best case and worst case scenarios. In the end, the worst case scenarios for the Navy were better than the worst case scenarios in the Air Force for me. Looking at it from an ORM perspective, which is what this was effectively, the probability was low, but the severity was high. Also, again, it's 1 year of your life, so re-applying to USNA isn't out of the question. Guy in my company, and now my airwing did just that route - Purdue NROTC, applied after freshman year to USNA, graduated '09, now a Hornet pilot in my airwing. Great dude all around.

Aeroshell

It has been a while, but in the mean time my decision was made. I compared both outcomes good and bad for each with a hefty pros and cons list. I loved USAFA, but I love the Naval Aviation more. Now that it is all said and done, I agree, it really wasn't a big deal at all, I always knew the answer deep down. It took guts, but it is time to boiler up!

Thanks for the great guidance everyone. Sure, re applying may be an option, but a commission is just a stepping stone to Pcola. It's a whole other thing to think about after I start NROTC.