• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC to USMC Pilot

JackJ1524

Hi all,

I am currently 16 and a sophomore in High School. I am extremely interested in becoming a pilot in the Marines. I have been exploring possible paths to flying including the Academy but I don't quite have the grades to get in as of now so I see NROTC as the best possible option to commissioning. I have a 3.9 Gpa (out of 5 for freshman year its much better this year) and am involved in student government and multiple other clubs and church volunteer groups etc. I play football (linebacker so I'm decently muscular) and baseball so I am decently athletic. I am extremely passionate about miltary aviation but I have a few questions.

1. Is it true that the Marines Guarantee a pilot slot for NROTC 4 year scholarship students?
2. I live in Mass so I have a TON of options for colleges with NROTC. How would I contact them and let them know I am interested? (I was thinking about Norwich Academy)
3. Whats the difference between Marine aviation and Navy aviation?
4. Realistically, what kind of shot do I have of becoming a USMC Aviator?

Thanks all, Jack

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jack,

Your record as your present it is competitive for the Academy. You sound pretty well-rounded. Your GPA could be better, but you've still got some time to improve it. That's assuming you're taking the most advanced classes you can; Admissions would rather see a B- in tough classes than an A+ in Basketweaving. Other than that, strive for positions of leadership/responsibility in the clubs, groups, and teams you mentioned. If it's a path you're interested in pursuing, now (end of your sophomore year) is the time to start looking into it seriously. Contact your local Blue & Gold Officer (you can find them via usna.edu) and get the ball rolling.

No one can give you odds of success; that depends on who else is applying. That being said, if you're competitive for USNA, you're competitive for ROTC.

The rest of your questions have been asked and discussed on the forums. Look around a bit and come back with any lingering issues.

JackJ1524

Jack,

Your record as your present it is competitive for the Academy. You sound pretty well-rounded. Your GPA could be better, but you've still got some time to improve it. That's assuming you're taking the most advanced classes you can; Admissions would rather see a B- in tough classes than an A+ in Basketweaving. Other than that, strive for positions of leadership/responsibility in the clubs, groups, and teams you mentioned. If it's a path you're interested in pursuing, now (end of your sophomore year) is the time to start looking into it seriously. Contact your local Blue & Gold Officer (you can find them via usna.edu) and get the ball rolling.

No one can give you odds of success; that depends on who else is applying. That being said, if you're competitive for USNA, you're competitive for ROTC.

The rest of your questions have been asked and discussed on the forums. Look around a bit and come back with any lingering issues.

Thank you I will look into your points!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Thank you I will look into your points!

What Fester said. The things I would add would be what NOT to do. Don't be stupid, i.e., underage drinking, reckless driving, etc - anything that would impact negatively on your record. Likewise, stay healthy - you do not want anything that will disqualify you medically - in other words, forgot about extreme sports (or extreme anything...) - I would even add sell your motorcycle if you have one. One accident, usually not your fault, can leave you medically disqualified - as more and more people text and drive, it got to be too dangerous for me and I sold my Harley FatBoy.

Concerning USMC / USN, the Marine Corps is more interested in how fast you can run much more than how much you can lift so stay lean - the Navy does not care as much. Aircraft selection - the Marine Corps flies more rotary and tilt-rotor than the Navy. Finally, your odds of getting in have a lot to do with timing. Someone once said "Luck is the intersection of Opportunity and Preparation." It is incumbent upon you to take care of the latter.

JackJ1524

What Fester said. The things I would add would be what NOT to do. Don't be stupid, i.e., underage drinking, reckless driving, etc - anything that would impact negatively on your record. Likewise, stay healthy - you do not want anything that will disqualify you medically - in other words, forgot about extreme sports (or extreme anything...) - I would even add sell your motorcycle if you have one. One accident, usually not your fault, can leave you medically disqualified - as more and more people text and drive, it got to be too dangerous for me and I sold my Harley FatBoy.

Concerning USMC / USN, the Marine Corps is more interested in how fast you can run much more than how much you can lift so stay lean - the Navy does not care as much. Aircraft selection - the Marine Corps flies more rotary and tilt-rotor than the Navy. Finally, your odds of getting in have a lot to do with timing. Someone once said "Luck is the intersection of Opportunity and Preparation." It is incumbent upon you to take care of the latter.

Thank you. I'm trying working out daily and trying to lean out as much as I can but I'm still growing so I'm still have time to lean out more and get my 3 mile time down. I try to stay away from everything extreme except football ;)