• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Questions

LaFway

Hello Everyone,
New to this website, and looking for an answer to my question if that's OK. I'm 18, and planning on doing NROTC in college. I found the majority of my questions answered on the forums, but I just have one quick question. Sorry in advance if this question has already been answered in a previous thread.

If anyone could give me a baseline of scores I would need to get such as GPA, ASTB etc that would make me look competitive to either Marines or Navy would be greatly appreciated.(I plan on majoring in History)

Thanks

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you're applying to NROTC, they don't care (nor will you take it) about the ASTB. They just care about your HS stats. There's also no magic formula. I had an above average HS record (varsity sports, above average GPA, clubs, etc) but when I submitted my application, my counselor put my magnet program class standing instead of my overall class standing (it was a small magnet program at the time). I was promptly rejected.

When I called and asked why, I was told I didn't fall into a particular widget of accounting for selection. When I told them my overall class standing, I was immediately (on the phone) accepted*.

My point is that's how "bizarre" the baseline can be. There is no one single answer.

*Note: this was 20 years ago, so competitiveness has changed since 9/11, but the basic gist is still applicable...there's no one "fit" to getting in. Apply and see what happens.

LaFway

If you're applying to NROTC, they don't care (nor will you take it) about the ASTB. They just care about your HS stats. There's also no magic formula. I had an above average HS record (varsity sports, above average GPA, clubs, etc) but when I submitted my application, my counselor put my magnet program class standing instead of my overall class standing (it was a small magnet program at the time). I was promptly rejected.

When I called and asked why, I was told I didn't fall into a particular widget of accounting for selection. When I told them my overall class standing, I was immediately (on the phone) accepted*.

My point is that's how "bizarre" the baseline can be. There is no one single answer.

*Note: this was 20 years ago, so competitiveness has changed since 9/11, but the basic gist is still applicable...there's no one "fit" to getting in. Apply and see what happens.
Ok thanks that clears that up.

jugg34naut

pilot
For what it's worth, while I was in API there were a few stash Ensigns that would screen NROTC scholarships. They said that calculus and physics were almost a requirement and ACT scores were 28+. I don't remember exactly what they told me the competitive gpa's were at that time, when I was looking at applying a gpa of 3.5 and above was competitive. If you want to go Marine option then you'll have to do well on their PFT also.

Chud

None
Since you state that you want to study history (a Tier III) it is a more difficult road. As Gatordev said, there is no magic formula. The boards look for the all around individual. The real question is what does your life look like as long as you meet the minimums. If you have a 3.0 and a 22 ACT, were you doing something else such as work/sports/other activities that took the time. Since you state that you are 18, I assume that you are graduating HS this year, therefore you are where you are at. Apply based on what your numbers are now, spend some time and thought on you application and make sure that it is in by the deadline of 31 Jan for the national, or 28 Feb for the MSISR.

Kawika

ive seen in a lot of posts in threads talking about what makes you competitive for a pilot slot such as GPA, ASTB and aptitudes. Ive been looking through these forums for quite a while and cant find information containing what aptitudes are or how to get a good aptitude score. I apologize if its a dumb question and that's why I cant find it. thank you for the help!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
ive seen in a lot of posts in threads talking about what makes you competitive for a pilot slot such as GPA, ASTB and aptitudes. Ive been looking through these forums for quite a while and cant find information containing what aptitudes are or how to get a good aptitude score. I apologize if its a dumb question and that's why I cant find it. thank you for the help!

Check out the Navy ROTC website, you can also find some more info about that’s considered competitive.

Assuming you’re 17, focus on that alligator first (closest to you) and less on getting an SNA spot, as you’ve got some years until you in a prime spot to apply.

Kawika

Check out the Navy ROTC website, you can also find some more info about that’s considered competitive.

Assuming you’re 17, focus on that alligator first (closest to you) and less on getting an SNA spot, as you’ve got some years until you in a prime spot to apply.
guessed right, appreciate the insight.?

From my understanding, the ASTB is what assesses your aptitude/suitability for being a pilot. The ASTB is a military flight aptitude test. So in order to get good aptitude scores, you just have to do well on the second-half of the ASTB. And to do that means, playing flight simulator games, practicing on the Jantzen sim, having flight hours(not necessary).

I had no idea this career path was an option until about a year ago. And found out about the ridiculous waiting time a few months ago. You are in prime position to dominate. So attack. Best wishes.

villo0692

From my understanding, the ASTB is what assesses your aptitude/suitability for being a pilot. The ASTB is a military flight aptitude test. So in order to get good aptitude scores, you just have to do well on the second-half of the ASTB. And to do that means, playing flight simulator games, practicing on the Jantzen sim, having flight hours(not necessary).

I had no idea this career path was an option until about a year ago. And found out about the ridiculous waiting time a few months ago. You are in prime position to dominate. So attack. Best wishes.
I’d like to emphasize…I had never flown before, I haven’t played videogames since the GameCube was a novelty, and still scored really good and got selected for pilot, and so did many other people. So don’t think that going out and spending thousands of dollars on a flight sim setup is necessary. If you don’t do well in math or score well in the aeronautical knowledge part of the ASTB, or don’t know how to multitask, I would argue those are more important skills to hone when trying to get a good score. If you have the money for flight hrs or a sim setup tho, it wouldn’t hurt, just saying it is not a must

exNavyOffRec

I’d like to emphasize…I had never flown before, I haven’t played videogames since the GameCube was a novelty, and still scored really good and got selected for pilot, and so did many other people. So don’t think that going out and spending thousands of dollars on a flight sim setup is necessary. If you don’t do well in math or score well in the aeronautical knowledge part of the ASTB, or don’t know how to multitask, I would argue those are more important skills to hone when trying to get a good score. If you have the money for flight hrs or a sim setup tho, it wouldn’t hurt, just saying it is not a must
yep, quite a few of those who I had tested that scored 8's and 9's had no flight experience and didn't play flight sims, they were generally in STEM majors.

yep, quite a few of those who I had tested that scored 8's and 9's had no flight experience and didn't play flight sims, they were generally in STEM majors.
Interesting.
Seems like their major increased their aptitude. After getting a STEM degree, I’m sure the ASTB is a piece of cake for them. Especially the math and mechanical.
I don’t see how this advantage would carry over to the A&N sec, UAV or PBM.