• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC into the USNR?

Read a few threads here (may have been outdated, or possibly still an on-going process). Some of them informed other members of this forum that a 2-year scholarship in the NROTC will only commission you into the USNR? Is that still the case for this year?

A little background about myself if there is anymore guidance that is available:

I am prior active duty, Enlisted USMC. I got out as a Corporal (E-4).
I have been out for a year and in that time I put my GI Bill to good use. I have acquired 50+ credits at a QUARTERLY based school and now have about a 3.6 GPA.
Since my wife is coming up on her end of active duty service with the USN, we are moving back home. I have already been accepted into the University of New Mexico. I am currently speaking with the LT down at the unit at UNM. So far, he is waiting on my final official transcipts (I am still in school for two more weeks) and final GPA. Also, how my credits will transfer (depending on how many transfer UNM can recognize me as a freshmen or sohpomore.)
Anyways, he said I have about 2-pages of paperwork to fill out and then he will set me up with an interview with the unit staff.
I plan on eventually applying for the aviation slots. SNA and NFO for the choices (should I graduate and commission.)
So the guidance Im basically seeking is this: If I am classed as a freshmen because not all my credits are recognized, and understanding it is too late to apply for a 4-year scholarship, what should I do? Keep using GI Bill and wait until the winter to apply for the 2 year scholarship? The UNM website said they do not offer any other scholarships for the ROTC units. Also, since I have a family to support, I would like to use my GI Bill instead. Will that lower my chances of getting commissioned into active duty or lower my chances of getting into an aviation pipeline? Any and all guidance is appreciated and I thank you for taking your time to read this. I will continue browsing forums for answer.

Regards

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
NROTC will commission you USN, not USNR. That's old gouge.

If you don't receive a 4-year scholarship, you can remain in NROTC as a 'college programmer'. You're a Mid, minus the scholarship. In my unit, most college programmers picked up a scholarship their soph year. I can't see why you can't use your GI Bill to pay tuition while waiting for a scholarship...

I appreciate it! If I am able to pick up a scholarship, would it be advised to take it? I have informed my wife that the scholarship is the Navy's investment me, and that it will be a struggle because of the BAH I will lose with the GI Bill. She would like to know if I can show I am eligible for a scholarship, and kindly opt to continue taking the GI Bill instead of scholarship, will that halt or make me less competitive for commissioning? From what I have read, I will be unable to participate in "Summer Cruises" in which some are required to commission. If it does, her BAH/GI Bill will be the bread winning cash to support ourselves but will be well wroth the struggle if I can become a Naval Officer. She and I are just hoping that this is in the best interest for us.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
How are you collecting BAH if you're out?

I think this is above my head now. NavyOffRec should be along soon...he knows all about this kind of stuff.

Post 9/11 GI Bill gives E5 BAH accordingly with zip code. So long as I fall under all the requirements to receive the full 100%. Currently, since wife is stationed in Virginia Beach, my BAH is some 1k a month with some stipends and Montgomery Kicker. However, moving back to NM, it will drop and I lose my kicker but the cost of living is cheaper. Its simply one of the Benefit of the Post9/11. Its not really called BAH. Its called something else but is basically so a prior service member is able to go to school full time and have some type of living allowance.

exNavyOffRec

What you need to do is look at what you are getting each month total for the GI bill and BAH, then look at that compared to the tuition you would have paid IF you get a NROTC scholarship and see which is better.

It might be better to use the GI Bill and apply for OCS, if you go for NROTC and get a scholarship there is no guarantee of a SNA or SNFO spot, you could be a SWO. If you apply for OCS you apply for the specific designator.

The OR's in that area would die for a person who desires to apply for OCS, that college is not the most military friendly.

Post 9/11 GI Bill gives E5 BAH accordingly with zip code. So long as I fall under all the requirements to receive the full 100%. Currently, since wife is stationed in Virginia Beach, my BAH is some 1k a month with some stipends and Montgomery Kicker. However, moving back to NM, it will drop and I lose my kicker but the cost of living is cheaper. Its simply one of the Benefit of the Post9/11. Its not really called BAH. Its called something else but is basically so a prior service member is able to go to school full time and have some type of living allowance.

And thanks again for the help!

OCS is a good option. I just enjoyed the idea of staying closely affiliated with our military. The entire year I was inactive was hard since I'm gung ho about our services. :) Thank you gentlemen! Back to the drawing boards with the Mrs.