• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC INSTRUCTOR ORDERS

chetterdude

PROPS PROPS PR.. OH SHIT CHIPS LIGHT ON #3
pilot
Been looking into taking NROTC instructor orders for spring 2015 time period. Wondering if anyone has any gouge on what sort of orders folks are taking afterwards. When I went through all my advisors were 6 year after wings committment guys, and nowadays it seems like almost everyone will owe an extra 2 years after a 3 year shore tour. I'm assuming IA are pretty fair game, but interested to hear if anyone has any stories or insight on this. Also, anyone know or heard of any really good deal NROTC units to instruct at. I'm thinking, high quality of life, and low educational costs, as I would probably be getting an EMBA. Thanks!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can't beat UF. Good quality of life in Gainesville and great Executive MBA program. Are you looking to stick it out and be a DH or get out?

Renegade One

None
The "San Diego Consortium NROTC Unit" does NOT suck…USD, UCSD, SDSU, Point Loma Nazarene and Cal State San Marcos.

San Diego kinda = "QOL". PM me if you'd like a personal contact…I'm close friends with immediately past XO of the unit, who now works at TACTRAGRUPAC. He'll be straight with you...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Been looking into taking NROTC instructor orders for spring 2015 time period. Wondering if anyone has any gouge on what sort of orders folks are taking afterwards. When I went through all my advisors were 6 year after wings committment guys, and nowadays it seems like almost everyone will owe an extra 2 years after a 3 year shore tour. I'm assuming IA are pretty fair game, but interested to hear if anyone has any stories or insight on this. Also, anyone know or heard of any really good deal NROTC units to instruct at. I'm thinking, high quality of life, and low educational costs, as I would probably be getting an EMBA. Thanks!
If you take the orders, you can consider yourself "off-track" and will never make Commander as a 13XX. With that said, the NROTC gig is a bit tougher than most people know. It was a very rewarding tour having a profound impact on future Naval and Marine Corps officers.

I taught two classes 2 times a week and we had to attend morning PT and afternoon drill once a week. Plus you have to meet with every student twice a semester. Add into that all the "staff" work. It would be a cake job if you weren't pursuing a graduate degree. You'll definitely become better at time management.

As for schools, you will get to choose from a list. I had 9 different schools offered to me. I wanted West Coast, and all the ones offered were East coast. Included in the list were Citidel, VMI, SUNY Maritime, RPI, Southern, Univ. of Minnisota, Univ. of Michigan, and Penn State. I decided on Penn State.

All schools are not equal when it comes to tuition compensation. Penn State offered 75% off in-state tuition. So make sure you ask the tuition question for the universities offered. The NROTC unit will have those answers. Every NROTC CO encourages off-duty education with the caveat that the students and the NROTC job comes first.

If you have anymore questions, please ask or PM me.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Why EMBA vice a traditional MBA?

IAs seem few and far between these days. I'd imagine some sort of mid pack sea tour would be on the back end.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Depending on school, a traditional MBA = full time with no outside work commitments.
Makes sense. Talking to folks in business there's a big difference between an MBA and an EMBA so a school that offers a night MBA might be a worthwhile consideration.

chetterdude

PROPS PROPS PR.. OH SHIT CHIPS LIGHT ON #3
pilot
thanks for the posts... i am waiting for the next list to come out probably in a month or so. not too concerned about makingCDR. I would like to head back to the East Coast, but put more value on the educational aspect of the assignment then on location. As far as traditional MBA goes, I just dont think there are too many traditional programs out there that I would be able to manage while instructing. EMBA's seem to have a much more flexible schedule. Hadn't read to much about one type of MBA having more value than the other, but that could just be my naivete. As far as sticking it out to be a DH or getting out, I would not be opposed to being a DH, but am not expecting that sort of opportuninty to present itself. I will keep everyone posted when the lists come out.

Pags

N/A
pilot
thanks for the posts... i am waiting for the next list to come out probably in a month or so. not too concerned about makingCDR. I would like to head back to the East Coast, but put more value on the educational aspect of the assignment then on location. As far as traditional MBA goes, I just dont think there are too many traditional programs out there that I would be able to manage while instructing. EMBA's seem to have a much more flexible schedule. Hadn't read to much about one type of MBA having more value than the other, but that could just be my naivete. As far as sticking it out to be a DH or getting out, I would not be opposed to being a DH, but am not expecting that sort of opportuninty to present itself. I will keep everyone posted when the lists come out.
Bottom line is that EMBA =/= MBA; the two are viewed/valued very differently in industry. There are some schools that have "night" traditional MBAs (Georgetown is one I've looked at). I'd also imagine that there would be ways to balance the demands of a traditional MBA with instructional duties; you're not the first person to go that route.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bottom line is that EMBA =/= MBA; the two are viewed/valued very differently in industry. There are some schools that have "night" traditional MBAs (Georgetown is one I've looked at). I'd also imagine that there would be ways to balance the demands of a traditional MBA with instructional duties; you're not the first person to go that route.
Not sure how the two might be valued differently unless the school(s) differentiate them on the diplomas. An EMBA at UF is just as good if not better than a traditional MBA and your peer group in an EMBA program is typically much more experienced than those in the traditional programs.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not sure how the two might be valued differently unless the school(s) differentiate them on the diplomas. An EMBA at UF is just as good if not better than a traditional MBA and your peer group in an EMBA program is typically much more experienced than those in the traditional programs.
If they show up the same on the diploma, then I doubt it matters; if they don't and you have to put one or the other on a resume it could matter. If you're being hired at the lower level in to a "hard" business position an MBA is worth more than an EMBA. If you're being hired in to an executive level position or a position that could benefit from some business knowledge than an EMBA is appropriate. Want to work in business development at a Fortune 500? MBA. Being hired as a VP at a small company? EMBA.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The fact of the matter is that you will not be able to do a traditional MBA program at most schools if you also have a full time job. This is the very reason why EMBA programs exist. Companies realize this. And at the end of the day, it's just a piece of paper. Now for someone that is getting out aft six years, is young, and has no family to support, I would recommend doing a traditional MBA program using their GI Bill. For guys that will be doing their MBA program while on shore duty -- EMBA.