• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC essay

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Georgia Tech's NROTC application asked for an essay on this topic:

“What are your top 3 URL communities you wish to commission into and why? If not selected for one of these communities, would you accept your commission?”
Ref: http://nrotc.gatech.edu/national-2-year-and-3-year-scholarships/

Assuming naval aviation (1390 & 1370) as one cohesive "community" and naval special operations (1180 & 1190) as another, that only leaves two other URL "communities" from which to choose.

So... "choose three of four?" In a way, they are asking you to declare your least favorite URL community. Or, maybe they mean designator instead of community, and want the applicant to distinguish between SNA and SNFO, for example.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
In doing interviews for NROTC applicants I presume Pilot, NFO, SWO, Subs, SEAL, and EOD to be the URL communities. Admittedly, I did not click on the link, but if you've quoted the question accurately, it is remarkably similar (if not verbatim) to one of the standard interview questions that falls under the "propensity to serve" theme. I wouldn't read too much into it. Rank order your top three preferences and explain your thought process. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that you would do well to avoid writing "fighters or bust" in your response.

Chud

None
In doing interviews for NROTC applicants I presume Pilot, NFO, SWO, Subs, SEAL, and EOD to be the URL communities. Admittedly, I did not click on the link, but if you've quoted the question accurately, it is remarkably similar (if not verbatim) to one of the standard interview questions that falls under the "propensity to serve" theme. I wouldn't read too much into it. Rank order your top three preferences and explain your thought process. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that you would do well to avoid writing "fighters or bust" in your response.
Don't forget SWO Nuke is a separate URL community as well! I would avoid the other SWO (something) options though.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Georgia Tech's NROTC application asked for an essay on this topic:

“What are your top 3 URL communities you wish to commission into and why? If not selected for one of these communities, would you accept your commission?”
Ref: http://nrotc.gatech.edu/national-2-year-and-3-year-scholarships/

Assuming naval aviation (1390 & 1370) as one cohesive "community" and naval special operations (1180 & 1190) as another, that only leaves two other URL "communities" from which to choose.

So... "choose three of four?" In a way, they are asking you to declare your least favorite URL community. Or, maybe they mean designator instead of community, and want the applicant to distinguish between SNA and SNFO, for example.

Pretty sure it has to do with service selection... You'll have to rank your top 3 URL and IIRC one non URL community if you're not medically cleared for URL. This shouldn't be surprising considering NROTC exists to produce URL officers. This style essay at least causes candidates to show they they've done a little research into the Different communities of the Navy.

Pilot, NFO, SWO, Subs, SEAL and EOD were the options previously. So this essay could talk about 3 of 6...

Tiltedsky

pilot
Just don't write 5 pages on how you don't really want to be an URL officer and are really interested in Intel, Doc, Chaplain, Dolphin Trainer, Supply Officer, Engineering Duty Officer, Liaison Officer to Aquaman, etc. The mids I had that showed up wanting those communities got shown the door.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Copy all. Thanks for the gouge.

I guess the answer to my question is that NA and NFO are considered separate communities.