• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC 1/C Aviation Cruise Info

Narishma

From what I've heard from other midshipmen at my unit, you end up just sitting around, and maybe getting a few fly-alongs. Does anyone else have any recent experience or information? I'm pretty sure that I'll end up in Norfolk for mine, as I'm on the East coast (assuming I get aviation).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You wind up sitting around if you wait for someone to give you activities or tasks. Middie cruises are make-your-own-entertainment programs. There are plenty of opportunities, but you have to find them yourself. Don't just sit on your ass...or if you do, don't complain later about how boring/pointless it was.

TexasTools

None
My 1/C cruise was aviation and I wouldn't have had it any other way. I went to VRC-30 at NASNI a few years ago I had a blast.
Highlights:
  • Got to go fly basically whenever we wanted, and they let us take turns up front at the controls. Besides the 5 minute joy ride on the T-34 during CORTRAMID, I had zero experience in a plane. The skipper laughed at me when I was shocked that the C-2 could bank more than 45 degrees. I've learned a lot since then, to say the least.
  • Hit the boat twice, and helped the crew unload our cargo (maybe not exactly cool, but it was nice to feel productive as a middie). Afterwards, we sat on the back and watched some launches and recoveries. And sitting backwards on the cat shot is... an experience.
  • Rode along to drop the Leap Frogs (SEAL Parachute Team) on some training jumps and talked to them for a bit on the ground. Not too many opportunities to talk to guys from that community during NROTC.
  • VR squadron next door took us to go stay in Waikiki for a day to pickup people from RIMPAC. I'd never been to Hawaii, and 7 or so of us Mids split a room, explored the town, went surfing, etc.
  • When we checked in, our LT tossed us the keys to a spare car for our own transportation. We therefore had the opportunities to go scuba diving in La Jolla, hiking up Mt Woodson to Potato Chip Rock, and since I was 20, everyone else had a DD to Gaslamp.
  • Opportunities to go fly with the -60 squadrons and do some low-levels (do they call them that, too?) out in the desert. I personally didn't do this, but some of the guys and gals with me did.
  • FOD walk everyday. At first, we thought it sucked. But then we got to end up next to Sailors from different shops practically everyday, and they would then take us to go learn about their jobs.
  • If there were no flights, or we didn't particularly want to go fly that day, we were then released to go blow our cruise pay around town.
Comparing stories with friends who went to other squadrons, the ready room typically treats you as one of them (to a degree, obviously), and you can get a slight taste on the dynamics of the community. We got in trouble for calling anybody "Sir/Ma'am" except for the skipper and XO, and everyone was eager to answer our questions, even the stupid ones. Obviously, YMMV, but if you're strongly considering aviation, don't pass up on the opportunity. You may discover things about it that you didn't know, or that you really don't like being in planes (much better to figure out before you show up to flight school).

Bottom line, the options for 1/C cruise are phenomenal: aviation, FOREX, JSDF, being on a sub on alert (that actually probably sucks), or even taking a DDG from Bahrain to Hong Kong. Stay positive about where you get sent, and eventually what you service select, and you'll have a blast.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a few 1/C that got the short stick and did their cruise on an inport Norfolk based CVN. I would not complain if you get a squadron.