• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPS website

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Does anyone know if there is a website for Nuclear Power School and what it is? I'm trying to figure out the dates for when classes start next year.

Thanks.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Thanks. I just wanted to check to see how much time we might have before my SO needs to go to Charleston after OCS.

H

Honour_Class

It depends on what orders he gets, which he won't know until around week 10 of OCS. I got orders to NNPTC 9 days after my OCS graduation. Other people in my class got stashed for up to 6 months before reporting.

For a good schedule go to staynavy.navy.mil and check under "Detailers" then follow the links for the submarine/nuc power community and on the left menu is a timetable for NNPTC/NPTU/SOBC. Once he starts in power school he will stay in that bracket and go the follow-on date for NPTU and SOBC.

Submarine Pipeline Schedule

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Is there a chance that he will get sent to sub school first if the wait is too long for NNPTC?

H

Honour_Class

YES! There is some misguided program right now that is in fact sending a small fraction ~5% of all sub guys to SOBC first. It is difficult for them because they don't have the general knowledge everyone else does. It is helpful in that it eases them into the Navy's way of teaching. SOBC is a joke compared to power school. It is dangerous for the Navy because most people wash out in power school of all the places in the nuclear Navy.

So short answer long, yes there actually is a good chance he will go to SOBC first.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
sirenia said:
Is there a chance that he will get sent to sub school first if the wait is too long for NNPTC?

Yes, some guys get sent to SOBC first, they are actually considering making that the official progression.

bedrock1981

I was told by an officer I spoke with on the VIP trip that if he could do it over again he would have tried to get into dive school if the time between OCS and Power school was long enough. I think that would be a better way to go than getting stashed on OHARP Duty. Has anybody done this before or been to dive school.

Honour Class,

Are you Honour_Class_23-03 from the new OCS site?

H

Honour_Class

The accession detailer for nukes is VERY reluctant to go through the legwork to send non-Academy grads to dive school. It can be done though, one of my friends went and loved it. Don't let the detailer deter you with a lot of silly excuses like there won't be enough time, etc...

OHARP is a giant waste, try to get it near your old school (or at your old school) if you decide to do it. You'll be working 2-3 days a week most likely.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Honour_Class said:
OHARP is a giant waste, try to get it near your old school (or at your old school) if you decide to do it. You'll be working 2-3 days a week most likely.

Without a doubt. Keep in mind though, the point of OHARP is really to keep you from having to burn leave if you don't want to, rather than actually being productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.