• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPQ LASIK after PRO Y SNA

exNavyOffRec

What do the waiver guides mean when they reference applicant vs designated personnel?
"3. Applicant must have screening vision exam performed at one of 10 participating screening sites:
ƒ NH Bremerton
ƒ NH Camp Pendleton
ƒ NMC San Diego
ƒ NNMC (Bethesda)
ƒ NMC Portsmouth
ƒ NH Camp Lejeune,
ƒ NH Jacksonville
ƒ BMC Newport
ƒ BMC Annapolis
ƒ NAMI"

I was screened for LASIK prior to submitting my physical by the study coordinator and he was more than happy to help. He may have just thought I was trying to be ahead of the game though. There's so much gray area with the way N3M approves applicants for special programs, yet they don't seem like they follow NAMI's guidelines fully.

Anyways, apologize if that was bad gouge, I was just sharing what I learned by going through the process for LASIK.

This normally occurs when a person has their flight physical at OCS, or for AD, remember the NAMI waiver guide comes into play once a person has cleared N3M

MrFiveOh

SNA 28/M Prior Army FS DEC8 OCS
Ah bummer, did he offer any solution or was he open to resubmitting your physical with additional information?

In my opinion, I can totally fight this. Basically, they (N3M) did not like what they saw and i'm just gonna build a case to present to the NAMI doc that I am working with to get re-examined and cleared for flight status. The doc is willing to work with me; and my recruiter has my back on this fight. The scariest part of all this is that I have to do all the leg work to get this to work. Seems like a sample officer life. I guess this is how they weed out people who aren't dedicated and determined.

The NAMI doc will just have to put things into terms that N3M will accept and I guess that is a different language entirely. At least I hope, cause I KNOW I can see in front of me.

exNavyOffRec

Just got word from my recruiter and he pretty said that phrase that flagged me, besides the term "LASIK", was "Would recommend monitoring while he is in the service with repeat topography in the future". The doc is referring to my "-0.25" and "-.50" CYL measurement which is less than the required "-1.0" CYL. Everything else is "0" with 20/15 in both eyes...

That monitoring thing is what killed you, the USN doesn't like any medical documents that say "monitoring" indicate a not stable condition

exNavyOffRec

In my opinion, I can totally fight this. Basically, they (N3M) did not like what they saw and i'm just gonna build a case to present to the NAMI doc that I am working with to get re-examined and cleared for flight status. The doc is willing to work with me; and my recruiter has my back on this fight. The scariest part of all this is that I have to do all the leg work to get this to work. Seems like a sample officer life. I guess this is how they weed out people who aren't dedicated and determined.

The NAMI doc will just have to put things into terms that N3M will accept and I guess that is a different language entirely. At least I hope, cause I KNOW I can see in front of me.

The quickest thing you can do is go back to the doc that wrote "monitor" and get him to do another exam and say that monitoring is no longer required.

MrFiveOh

That monitoring thing is what killed you, the USN doesn't like any medical documents that say "monitoring" indicate a not stable condition

The quickest thing you can do is go back to the doc that wrote "monitor" and get him to do another exam and say that monitoring is no longer required.

Yeah, once I saw that letter, I knew it was the wording that got me. The eye doc's attitude was that I was PQ, but that's why I feel that going to Pensacola will solve this. I live in Florida anyways and I told my OR I will drive there today if that what it takes to just get re-examined and cleared.

I will see if I can get back to the original doc quicker than the NAMI eye doc. But it just seems to me that I might as well try to get my eyes flight PQ now while I am talking to the main guy.

exNavyOffRec

I realized some information that might help, did you only apply for SNA and SNFO, if so going to NAMI may not do you any good and here is why, N3M will NPQ you for the first thing they find, now what you need to do is find out if you are qualified to come in as an officer with that "monitor" tag, if not NAMI won't do any good, so one way to find out is on your N3M letter it will say something like "xxxx is qualified for URL but NPQ for aviation due to xxxxxx" if it doesn't say anything about being qualified for URL then that is what you need to find out, how you can do this is one of two ways, one is to have your NRD call N3M and see if you would be qualified for URL, the other is kind of sneaky, but it works and I have done this before (N3M told me to do this before), have your processor resubmit your medical paperwork thru MEDWAIVE and list the designators you are applying for as SNA/SNFO AND SWO, if you are indeed qualified to come in as an officer then they will say qualified for URL not for aviation, THEN work on the eyes, IF they say no to all then work on getting a doc to say monitoring not required and resubmit to N3M that should allow them to clear you.

MrFiveOh

I realized some information that might help, did you only apply for SNA and SNFO, if so going to NAMI may not do you any good and here is why, N3M will NPQ you for the first thing they find, now what you need to do is find out if you are qualified to come in as an officer with that "monitor" tag, if not NAMI won't do any good, so one way to find out is on your N3M letter it will say something like "xxxx is qualified for URL but NPQ for aviation due to xxxxxx" if it doesn't say anything about being qualified for URL then that is what you need to find out, how you can do this is one of two ways, one is to have your NRD call N3M and see if you would be qualified for URL, the other is kind of sneaky, but it works and I have done this before (N3M told me to do this before), have your processor resubmit your medical paperwork thru MEDWAIVE and list the designators you are applying for as SNA/SNFO AND SWO, if you are indeed qualified to come in as an officer then they will say qualified for URL not for aviation, THEN work on the eyes, IF they say no to all then work on getting a doc to say monitoring not required and resubmit to N3M that should allow them to clear you.

Just saw the PDQ today, and it was just because I had LASIK and the "Corneal Opacities" associated with it. I just talked with a NAMI eye doc about my pre-op/post-op eye measurements and I am "well within" mil specs for a waiver. Talked to three different eye clinics (including the MEPS consult) and they all say that same thing; My LASIK pre-op/post-op numbers are fine and the scar tissue is a normal addition after the surgery. They were all stunned (including the NAMI doc, after he saw my papers) that I got DQ'ed just for having LASIK and encouraged me to keep fighting this.

Got an appointment next week with a NAMI doc to get eyes examined and (hopefully) get the waiver. I just hope the waiver will be accepted by N3M before my flight slot is taken away...

exNavyOffRec

Just saw the PDQ today, and it was just because I had LASIK and the "Corneal Opacities" associated with it. I just talked with a NAMI eye doc about my pre-op/post-op eye measurements and I am "well within" mil specs for a waiver. Talked to three different eye clinics (including the MEPS consult) and they all say that same thing; My LASIK pre-op/post-op numbers are fine and the scar tissue is a normal addition after the surgery. They were all stunned (including the NAMI doc, after he saw my papers) that I got DQ'ed just for having LASIK and encouraged me to keep fighting this.

Got an appointment next week with a NAMI doc to get eyes examined and (hopefully) get the waiver. I just hope the waiver will be accepted by N3M before my flight slot is taken away...

I understand the DQ is for LASIK, but there is DQ for aviation and DQ for URL, if you just applied for aviation you need to find out what N3M needs to clear you for URL, even if NAMI says yes if N3M doesn't want to clear you for URL duty you still have an issue, it is like being tall enough to ride the rides at the fair, but you can't ride the rides if they don't let you through the front gate.

MrFiveOh

Can you quote the paragraph that says where your DQ'd?
"Based on review of available medical information, subject applicant DOES NOT meet established physical standards due to LASIK and corneal opacities"

After talking with the NAMI doc, who also saw my PDQ letter, he was confident he could recommend me for a waiver after I get eyes examined in Pensacola. He saw my pre-op/post-op and current eye exam information was stunned that they PDQ'ed me. He was glad to see that I was fighting the verdict and had no problem setting my up for an eye exam next week to get things straight. I think its just that my packet didn't have a NAVY Doc's green light and the civilian doc worded it in a way that made my vision seem unstable. Even the MEPs consult eye doc was surprised by the DQ.

The three key words that hurt my application was "LASIK, Corneal Opacities, and monitoring for future changes". They think I have unstable vision due to scar tissue. The NAMI doc, MEPs doc, and a local eye doc have looked at my information were like, "you should fight this and you are on the right path".

I was also told that anyone who has LASIK has scar tissue because that is the nature of the surgery. After my eye exams, the civilian and meps doc did not see where scar tissue would interfere with my vision...

BleedGreen

pilot
I think NavyOffRec might be right. They didn't qualify you for unrestricted line. Nonetheless, if you can resubmit with additional info addressing the commissioning guidelines as well as aviation, you should be good.

MrFiveOh

I think NavyOffRec might be right. They didn't qualify you for unrestricted line. Nonetheless, if you can resubmit with additional info addressing the commissioning guidelines as well as aviation, you should be good.
Yeah they specifically address MANMED Chap 15, Artical 15-34 about the eyes. The NAMI doc I talked to said, the PDQ is automatic due to LASIK but is easily waiverable. His recommendation, after my eye exam, should hopefully be enough to get a waiver. Also, he is supposed to be in contact with the person that denied my waiver initially.

BleedGreen

pilot
That's good, good luck to you..Sounds like this should be rather painless for you. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.