• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRM21o

I just got my Presidential nomination in the mail and have to send in the rest of my application. I'm currently in the Marines and will be released from active duty to reserve in May. My question is, what does this nomination mean? Will they send me to NAPS or straight to the Academy? I'm an enlisted USMC PFC with a 1360 SAT and 3.7 GPA after 14 hours of credit at a major university. Also, will being an enlisted Marine going into USNA (if I get accepted) help me get a USMC SNA slot? I'm at my MOS school and the word I get out here is very limited so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

keithga1983

Hey, Ive just gone through the whole process a few months ago. I m currently enlisted in the mlitary also (Navy), so maybe I can help out some.

If you already recieved a presidential nomination, then you have a really, really good chance of getting in. I think he can only give a few out every year (or maybe its just one) Anyway - Being in the military and applying has its advantage too. They dont put you in the same stack as all the civilians that apply, so it gets that extra attention. At my command my CCC auctually flew up to USNA and talk to the admissions board (along with about 15 other applications) trying to get us all accepted. Being military also increases your chances of getting accepted to NAPS (mainly athletes and military personel attend there).

As for the application... its getting REALLY late in the game for that. There are 2 times that the admission boards decide on who they will accept. One is the end of December, the other is Mid March. Im not sure on the app. deadline for march, but I assume it is really soon. Make sure you spend time on your essay. I auctually spent about 2 weeks working on mine, then sent it to a professor at Harvard to have it reviewed... Its what really lets them know who your are, and not just what you have accomplished (they have thousands of exceptional, qualified applicants; the essays are ment to find out if you are the ideal candidate).

Your performance while enlisted plays a really big role as well. I'll give you my example: I graduated highschool with a 3.58 GPA, then dropped out of college with a 2.8 GPA. I didnt play any sports, and did not do anything exceptional in highschool. I ended up joining the military after dropping out, and thats when i decided to turn my life around. I ended getting top of my class in 'A' School then became class leader and ranked 7 of 350 in my next phase of training. All my instructors give me all the top rating on the USNA reviews, and the CO put in his reccomendation for me as well. I got my acceptance letter a few days before Christmas.

I hope this helped. Feel free to ask any questions, or email me. I hope to see you there in July! GO NAVY!

BRM21o

Thanks for the info! Congrats on getting accepted. How does acceptence to NAPS work? I would like to go there first even if I get accepted straight into the Academy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

keithga1983

BRM21o said:
Thanks for the info! Congrats on getting accepted. How does acceptence to NAPS work? I would like to go there first even if I get accepted straight into the Academy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

If you get accepted straight to the Academy, then NAPS is out of the question. Direct admission by the board means they believe you have what it takes to succeed at the Academy rather than waste a year at NAPS.

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
Being a prior marine does help you get it as an officer. I am graduating this year. Not marine though cause of a bad shoulder, go navy air.

Integer

Banned
Presidential nominations?

Get adopted by your military BGO, might be worth it. :D

Presidential nomination eligibility: ...parent...must have served continuously for at least eight years...

usunkmybship

If you're coming in enlisted you're most likely to get in NAPS depending on how long ago you graduated high school. But you went to an university so that might make a difference. One thing for sure if you do go to NAPS, priors automatically get leadership positions and tend to be intimidating to the civilians that enter. Cool. Basically it's a prep school for highly qualified candidates but need another year to work on their academics. As some former enlisted candidates go in the service after high school graduation and had not had schooling since then. I think priors would make good leaders since they have been through both sides.

ControlledBurn

ERAU Student
Wow, finding out about Presidential Nominations for dependants makes me wish I'd known about these when I was applying for colleges. I didn't apply for the Academy because I never thought I'd make it, maybe one of these would have given me a leg up.

Status
Not open for further replies.