• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Not Cutting your Hair in OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

eludedgreysky

I am prior enlisted and I talked to some OCS graduates and they told me that women do not HAVE to get their hair cut. They said that the drill SRGTS will give you a hard time but that is all as long as you comply with uniform regulations. If the new Female DI is reading this, is that true?

schmuckatelli

Unless things have changed recently you will get your hair cut when you first get there. When I did OCS the officer candidate regulations were significantly different than normal Navy grooming regulations. After the first haircut the women do not have to get it cut again as long as it is within the OCR standards. Maybe that is what the person you talked to meant.

bisouss69

Like in bootcamp.. if your hair is short enough.. you dont have to get it cut. We had a girl who shaved her head - well like a bowl cut.. and she didnt have to get hers cut.. though there wasnt much to cut off anyways. Pretty much everyone I spoke with said - you will get your hair cut. I rather just chop it off... less hassles and grooming - And its probably better to be like the other girls with the short hair cuts so you dont stick out from the rest.. though you will anyways since your a female.

NavyNCSU

They will "cut" your hair on Day 2 no matter what, but my advice is to get it cut beforehand. I cut mine really short a few weeks before so I could get used to it. They barely touched it at the OCS barber shop (although they touched it enough to make it uneven and ugly).

OCS regs are that you're not supposed to have more than 3 inches of hair. After the initial haircut, you can sort of get away with not cutting it, depending on your particular hair. If it grows slowly, if you can hide the length well, etc. Just keep it really neat or you will be sent to the barber shop.

It is so hot down there that you'll be glad to have short hair anyway. And every other girl has short hair, too, so you won't really stand out or anything.

I got mine "fixed" on a weekend at a real hair salon because the OCS barbers really suck!!

eludedgreysky

The fact that you have to pay them 20 dollars for a butcher job, makes you kind of wonder if they have a license or just failed out of beautician school.
boggled_125.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.