• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No Yoke? A-380 360deg Cockpit Camera

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I'm stumped - what is the egg-shaped bulge adjacent to the throttles, above the radios and below the CDNU-like keypad?

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
A few years ago JB was all over it since all other pubs (FOM, OPSPECs, etc.) are electronic on our laptops and updated automatically whenever we log on. The problem was the FAA didn't like the use of laptops or our current screens (we already have the weather channel and video of the cabin on a small screen behind the stick). They had several options and even looked at an LCD in the tray table (half deployed). With the current economics, I'll be doing changes on transcons for awhile.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I thought that, too, when I went from the mighty Skyhawk (yoke) to the Cirrus (side stick). It's not as nice as a "real" stick, but I prefer it to the yoke. YMMV.

I'm waiting for someone with a bunch of hours flying the heavies (A4s, maybe?) to weigh in here. The whole yoke vs. side stick debate is something that seems to come up between guys who fly Boeing and guys who fly Airbus. Mainly for the convenience/crew comfort factor that Stalk alluded to.
Well, I checked out on the international 'Bus (330), and while it was "O.K.", my original motivation was with an eye toward changing bases, not "which airplane do I want to fly". Sooooooooooo .... at the end of the day I stayed on the WHALE and closed it out on the finest, strongest, fastest, and most pilot-friendly commercial airliner of the jet age to grace the skies ... as of yet.

Yoke or sidestick?? They're both do-able and it's more of a personal preference. Hell, I thought I was going to die when I put on my 4th stripe and moved to the left window seat -- thus having to fly w/ my left hand and work the throttles w/ my right. :eek:

In the end, it worked fine; lasted a long time ...

Truth be known, usually comes down to "where do I want to be based, how much money can I make, and how many days off a month can I plan on ..." kind of questions. THAT constitutes airline "reality". :)

Remember, it IS just an airplane ... :) ... but as I'd spent many hours in the WHALE and she and I got along well, I figured why mess w/ a good thing ... ??
:icon_wink

747200.jpg

B747-200 cockpit w/ "steam" gauges.

A330_cockpit1.jpg

A330 cockpit

HuggyU2

None
Around '94, United was the launch customer for the 777. Since the more senior UAL pilots were the ones involved in working with Boeing on some of the details, the story goes that these senior pilots all came from yoke (not "yolk"; it's not an egg) equipped aircraft, and that's what they were comfortable with. Hence the reason the 777 has a yoke, and not a side stick. It's a fly-by-wire jet, and could have been designed with either.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
What are those handles on the left and right windows? I'd say they are too big for police spotlight lights...

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
The "egg shaped bulgy thingy" is simply a place to rest your palm when you're programming the CDUs

nugget61

pilot
Am I missing something or is there no head or galley? And whats in the little cubby hole area behind the captain?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Here's Boeing's rebuttal with the 787:

Attachments

• 787 Flight Deck Full View(3).jpg
    787 Flight Deck Full View(3).jpg
    1,008 KB · Views: 90