• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NGAD, or the F/A-18 Replacement

Birdbrain

pilot
Thoughts on these articles and the NGAD concept? They state that the Navy wants to replace the Rhinos and Growlers in the 2030s with this 6th Gen Fighter to be accompanied by “little buddy” drones in the form of missile/bomb trucks. Of note, this is not a joint program with the USAF.

The concept looks slick.

Honestly I was under the assumption that the F-35 was the replacement so this was a surprise to me.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Thoughts on these articles and the NGAD concept? They state that the Navy wants to replace the Rhinos and Growlers in the 2030s with this 6th Gen Fighter to be accompanied by “little buddy” drones in the form of missile/bomb trucks. Of note, this is not a joint program with the USAF.

The concept looks slick.

Honestly I was under the assumption that the F-35 was the replacement so this was a surprise to me.

View attachment 30489

F-35 is intended to replace legacy Hornets, not super Hornets. It is intended to complement super Hornets.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
I recommend a few thousand of these.

Common desire. Deputy chief of Russian Air Force staff was asked what the new attack airplane has to look like, maybe something between PAK-FA and PAK-DA, and he said: no, it should be just IL-2 with FLIR and a satellite radio

Max the Mad Russian

I can understand now why there were so many German Aces on the East Front during WWII.

You bet. Single-seat IL-2 had some chances when its pilot understood: nowhere to hide nor to run, you weave. Since some extra units were manned by former fighter jocks, it worked to a degree. Last singleseaters were with squadrons as late as summer 1944, one of them had hit the Kriegsmarine V-boot in a Kamikaze manner and sunk her just a year before the war ended, 8th May 1944. When the gunner had been added (radioset was still in forward cockpit so backseater was pure gunner) the center of gravity shifted back and even weaving became vast and lazy - a piece of cake to Luftwaffe.

Max the Mad Russian

Nevertheless, of about 18000 IL-2 lost in the War (of about 36000 produced, roughly a half) nearly 2/3 were down by 20-mm flak from the ground. Story, in proportions, repeated itself in Afghan ridges instead of European forests, SU-25 instead of IL-2, and MANPADs instead of Flakvierling...