• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

nfo waiver

av8bavi

I'm in a tough spot with my eyes, and i really want to fly. I think i have a better shot of being an nfo than a pilot. I've got a lazy left eye, and it only corrects to 20/40, while my right still corrects to 20/20. The eye surgery will not correct this, so i'm pretty much s.o.l. on that. I was wondering what exactly an nfo does in the aircraft during flight. I've got the basic idea of the wso and ecmo, so i'm looking for a little more detailed information so that i can use it to try and convince the powers that be to give me a waiver. Also, has anybody ever heard of them doing some sort of demonstrated ability to help determine whether or not to grant a waiver. Thanks for all the help.

hunter-gatherer

There's a woodpecker on your head Keanu
I know a guy that was a RIO--that is the NFO for F-14's if you didn't already know and he had some sort of lazy eye...either that, or he was really gifted at looking two different directions at the same time, all the time. Not a technical answer but practical.

av8bavi

Thanks for the info. Fortunatly mine doesn't wonder off and freak people out. You can't even tell just by looking at me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the info. Fortunatly mine doesn't wonder off and freak people out. You can't even tell just by looking at me.

Check the current waiver guide, but NFOs and pilots need to have vision correctable to 20/20.

Brett

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I was an ECMO with VMAQ-4 (just PCS'd to Pensacola recently). I can't really speak for the WSO's but, basically, an ECMO runs the weapon systems, handles navigation, talks on radios, and, most importantly, the ECMOs run the show and the missions. It's a lot of fun, especially in a Prowler with 3 other guys. You should just go over to one of the Prowler squadrons and talk to any of the ECMOs. I know any of the guys at Q-4 would be happy to show you what it's all about.