• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO vs AMDO Retirement

Metalbender

A question for my fellow air warriors…

Currently I am in the process of getting an OCS package together as I will graduate Embry Riddle in about three months. Assuming I am qualified(for argument’s sake), what are the civilian career opportunities for retired NFO’s vs. those of AMDO’s? I ask this because I am a prior enlisted Airframer so I have a lot of experience on the maintenance side of the house but none as aircrew. Also since I have been back out in the civilian world I have done nothing but work Depot level on 60’s, as well as build corporate aircraft here in the sunny state of Florida. As for the corporate world, I can see many opportunities in the industry for a retired AMDO. However, if I am PQ’d to fly, I’d love to do that as well considering that keeps me on the aircraft while the AMDO is behind a desk. Both are obviously critical positions, just extremely different, and personally I’d rather be on the aircraft. From my experience as a civilian in corporate aviation, opportunities for a retired NFO don't seem very plentiful unless those jobs are directly related to specific experience, whereas AMDO’s have experience in managing, budgeting, supply, and many other areas that keep a squadron/support facility alive and flying. NFO seem like a unique position in that unless you somehow get flight hours privately you'll have to start at some regional airline making pennies. It seems like a military specific job to me, but then again it could transfer to the civilian world somehow I don't know. Putting in a package for AW SAR crewman has crossed my mind many times as I'd love to fly, but from my experience I'm glad as shit I was an airframer. I do have to say that hanging your feet out cabin the door is a pretty damn good time, but unfortunately the civilian market for a helicopter crewman is virtually non-existent. I've known a few AW's that got out who had to start all over after they realized there aren't many jobs requiring their experience, and the few that do(med evac) are part of the good ol boy network. So good fuckin' luck getting in with that crew. Mechanics, on the other hand, are everywhere and fortunately I have picked up jobs contracting on CG helicopters, as well as for Sikorsky on the F-5's and Embraer. That was all based on a Navy resume as well. These days I am forced to think about different things now that I am a husband and father, and making the choice between what is "badass" and what is "practical" isn't so easy. Ten years ago when I enlisted the choice was easy as hell as I was only concerned with what I was doing at the moment and lived for the thrill of things, but seeing how responsibilities have grown, I want to make sure that things in future look good as well. Obviously the credibility of being a Naval Officer in any capacity weighs heavy as hell on any resume, but it would be really nice if I could transfer my military skills back to the civilian world after I retire. Flying in the trunk of an 18 seems pretty badass to me, but I'm not sure what 2000 hours of that will do for me after retirement. I'm really not trying to switch careers at 45. So my question is for any retired or retiring NFO’s and AMDO’s and what their civilian opportunities look like. I'd love to hear from you guys about whats going on after you put away the uniform. Much appreciated.

exNavyOffRec

You should look at the profiles of those that have been picked for AMDO, they have been picking single digits, and most were currently AD, I believe it was something like 90 applications with 7 selections? AMDO isn't a backup plan, it is like saying a person's backup plan if they don't get a job is to become president.

robav8r

None
Contributor
A question for my fellow air warriors…

Currently I am in the process of getting an OCS package together as I will graduate Embry Riddle in about three months . . .
Assuming I am qualified(for argument’s sake), what are the civilian career opportunities for retired NFO’s vs. those of AMDO’s? . . .
Hello cart, this is the horse - why are you standing in front of me?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you search for post-retirement careers for NFOs you will find a thread or two on it, plenty of jobs out there from lawyer to airline pilot and everything in between.