• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to Pilot

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So why have the program in the first place?

To replace attrition, just like over other accession program. The NFO to pilot program has always been very small and difficult to pickup. Historically it's been A LOT more common to go from pilot to NFO than the other way around.

If they couldn't find qualified applicants who fit into the requirements they currently have established, they'd change them.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Historically it's been A LOT more common to go from pilot to NFO than the other way around...

Eh? I have met only a handful of folks who did the pilot to FO thing after NAMI, from my experience it has been relatively rare.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Eh? I have met only a handful of folks who did the pilot to FO thing after NAMI, from my experience it has been relatively rare.

SNAs have been switched to SNFOs for NAMI and flight performance fairly regularly for years (I know an O-5 NFO who just retired who went through the transition in his flight school days) more so when there's a higher demand for NFOs.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SNAs have been switched to SNFOs for NAMI and flight performance fairly regularly for years (I know an O-5 NFO who just retired who went through the transition in his flight school days) more so when there's a higher demand for NFOs.

Like I said before, discounting the NAMI whammy's I can think of about an equal number of FO to pilots as Pilot to FO types I have known in my career so I think it is much less common than you think.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know four in the VAQ community alone who underwent involuntary NA to NFO transition post TRACOM - one of them is Nittany.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I know two pilots from the same FRS class who DQ'd the boat and are now WSO's.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know four in the VAQ community alone who underwent involuntary NA to NFO transition post TRACOM - one of them is Nittany.

I know two pilots from the same FRS class who DQ'd the boat and are now WSO's.

Interesting. I can't, offhand, think of a single one in VAW. Dudes who DQ'ed at the Rag were either retreaded, attrited, or sent off to VRs. I know of one or two who got anchorectomies and went to sit up front after their first fleet tour (including one who still occasionally flew in the back and got endless shit about it), but none who went the other way.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Out of how many scores of ECMO's you know though, and including the guys who went the other way?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Out of how many scores of ECMO's you know though, and including the guys who went the other way?
I don't understand your question. Are you asking how many VAQ NFO to Pilot transitions I know? I know four or five, one of which subsequently reverted to NFO due to poor performance behind the boat.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't understand your question. Are you asking how many VAQ NFO to Pilot transitions I know? I know four or five, one of which subsequently reverted to NFO due to poor performance behind the boat.

No, just saying it doesn't happen at a very high rate and is about as common as Fo to pilot transitions.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, just saying it doesn't happen at a very high rate and is about as common as Fo to pilot transitions.
That's certainly the case today, though at times during the past 20 years, the numbers of NFO to Pilot transitions were higher - 20-30 selectees per FY, if memory serves.

Here's the bottom line for those with designator dissatisfaction: NFO to Pilot transitions are extraordinarily rare (single digits per year), and in today's promotion environment, doing so will definitely take your career off track and significantly decrease your chances of making O4 and staying in for 20.

Caveat emptor.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...at times during the past 20 years, the numbers of NFO to Pilot transitions were higher - 20-30 selectees per FY... NFO to Pilot transitions are extraordinarily rare (single digits per year)...

That is the point I was trying to get at, transitions of any kind are pretty rare for aviators in the Navy. When I transitioned communities I was one of only 16 to do so for that board that included pilots and FO's. I have known a few pilot to FO and vice versa types as well but out of hundreds of aviators I have known throughout my career transitions of all types only constitute a tiny handful of the total, probably around 1-2% at most.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's the bottom line for those with designator dissatisfaction: NFO to Pilot transitions are extraordinarily rare (single digits per year), and in today's promotion environment, doing so will definitely take your career off track and significantly decrease your chances of making O4 and staying in for 20.

Caveat emptor.

Agreed. Even if you meet all of the wickets in the instruction, you may not be a viable candidate due to career/FITREP timing. Unless you're younger than average, you'll probably have at most two years where you're eligible to apply. If you haven't broken out in your fleet squadron yet when the application window comes around, good luck. Of the four guys I know who picked it up, three already had breakout EP fitreps when they submitted their applications. The career implications are tough enough without having an EP to help you through the years of non-observed time.

@OP: While I didn't get picked up during my one year of eligibility, I can send along my application format for future reference. PM if interested.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Caveat emptor.

Yes, but as discussed earlier in the thread, I think it's more the 'changing community' part than the 'changing wings' that hurts your career prospects. If timing works out - like pretty much everything in the Navy - and you go back to your original community, you're basically doing a Super JO tour. Some nice paper from that tour - you're a nugget pilot but a WTI in the ready room and certainly ready to take a job like AOPS or MMCO on day one - I would bet would offset spending your shore tour back in the tracom.

Was that supposed to be some sort of punishment? That's a helluva deal!

Yeah, there was some grumbling about that. "What, get enough shitstains on the greenie board and you get to go VRs?" Guess it was just one of those 'otherwise a good stick, just not safe and consistent behind the boat, blah blah' things.