• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nfo To Pilot Prk Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow9660

I recently was accepted for an NFO contract (USMC) occ 188, but my pilot scores are just as high as NFO scores on ASTB, so my question is where and when would I be able to get PRK so that I might transfer from NFO to pilot, what extra training will be involved, and can it be done after TBS/before API. Also, how do I go about getting on the waiting list for PRK in the military (or should I do it on the outside)? thanks.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
do it on the outside, and get your contract switched b4 you get in the military. 3 or 6 mos after surgery is successful, you can apply for a waiver and then apply for pilot.

NavyOCS

I am in the process of doing the same thing. I completed OCS with an NFO contract. Right after OCS in mid aug. I had PRK that I paid for myself. Cash from OCS. Anyway, the lady at the OSO office knows more than the Gunny and capt. combined. She can work the beaucracy like no other which is very helpful. Well, to switch to pilot I am doing a program change BEFORE TBS. The reason I do it before is because if I wait until TBS or after the chances of a pilot slot available will not be as good. I will have to compete for it. By changing now I have a better chance. The best thing to do is speak with your OSO. If they say something cant be done, there wrong, because it usually can.

Shadow9660

thanks for the info Kizer, but how do you know you will have an extra 6 months before TBS for the post op? Or can you delay TBS willingly? i thought TBS came right after OCS

NavyOCS

I guess I should have read your post more carefully. I missed it the first time that you mentioned you were doing OCC. I was PLC-C and do not graduate untill May 05. If you get PRK on your own you could probably still compete for a spot for pilot. The thing is you cant get PRK before OCC. So the 6 mo. at TBS will cut it close for the 6mo. PRK post op. I really do not know how that would work. You should talk to your OSO though.

Shadow9660

I see, well thanks for the info anyway....the only reason I mentioned it was all the posts regarding backups in the pipeline...i.e...if I'm just sitting around...might as well get the surgery....but by the way....if I were to finish NFO training lets say, then get PRK....do you (or anyone else reading) know how much re-training it takes for lateral transfer to pilot...and do I have to be selected? Whats the process for that (USMC)?

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
For most communities, you will have to do a tour in your a/c before they will let you transition...Then, it's a numbers game...If they are hard up for pilots, you will pick it up. If not, stay where you are. Trust me, a FO's life is awesome...Leave the driving to the monkeys...

Status
Not open for further replies.