• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to Pilot at API

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slick

Have any of you SNFO's that were qualified for pilot slots get offered a pilot billet in API? Do you have to kick ass at API to get offered a pilot billet as a SNFO? I know an NFO who is currently at the Naval Test Pilot School who told me when he went through API many SNFO's made the transition, this particular guy stayed NFO(eyesight).

MVS26

Yes, you can change. You have to be in the top 10% of your class after academics, which end week 4. Since this policy has been in effect (past few months), only one or two have changed. But they're glad to do them if you qualify.

Slick

Thanks Matt, hope things are going well at flight school. What platform are you shooting for?
Slick

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
You have to be in the top 10% and be physically qualified for pilot. That means eyes for most. They will not allow you to undergo PRK during API to Primary. The skiper says that you would be down for way to long. However, if you pass an SNA physical and are in the top 10% your good to go.

Dave

tali264

EODDave, what if you originally have a slot for SNA and then when you have your physical you get NPQ? Will they allow you to have surgery then before you start API? Do you have a physical both at the start of OCS and the start of API? Thanks

Beth

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Tali:

I had a friend who failed his NAMI whammy due to his eyes. He ended up being able to retake the eye exam at the end of API and if he passed he'd keep his SNA slot, otherwise he'd go FO. As it turned out, he passed. I know he was drinking a ton of water and I think he might have supersaturated himself w/ O2 the day before, but not sure if he ever got a tank.

Not sure how he got the retest, so your milage may vary.

Slick

I'm totally qualified (AFQT, PRT,..etc), had PRK, am now 20/15+...but like at lot of guys going FO, the SNA slots were all full when we applied. What am I gonna do? I'm flying a desk right now. I've worked in a real job for the past 10 years, either in the Navy or as a DOD civilian...I want to have some fun now.

One ironic tid bit: If I was commissioned right now, I'd be an O-1E. With the housing allowance and basic pay my active duty Navy pay would be as much as my civilian engineering pay...not too shabby. That’s not counting any other special incentives that pilots/NFO's get.

Status
Not open for further replies.