• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Questions (ex-AFOTS applicant considering USN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_A

Ok... Back when I was in high school, I came to the decision that I wanted to join the service, specifically the Air Force, and specifically that I wanted to either be a pilot or aircrew (ABM, Nav, etc... Positions that fall into the NFO field in the Navy). Initially, I was AFROTC (for my freshman year of college), but I decided I'd be better off finishing school before trying to join. So I get my bachelor's degree, and apply for AF OTS... All goes well (I'm informed that I stand a good chance of getting selected for 'Air Battle Management' (AWACS aircrew)) untill someone finds a problem with my vision: I apparently have 'monofixation syndrome', which translates to seriously screwed up depth perception at distance. For the AF, that translates to 'No flying, unless you're a passenger in a transport'.

I've heard several different things about depth perception and the NFO program... From what I've read, it seems that you can get selected, BUT your positions are severely restricted (I.e. The USN version of ABM is out (as per the USN flight surgeon who diagnosed me for the AF), as well as anything else involving actual control of aircraft)...

So, what can someone with bad DP do as an NFO???

fraz76

Dave
As you know do not need to pass a DP test for NFO Billet in the Navy. If you need the regs I got them. I would think that all the NFO jobs are eligable for you.

If anyone knows different please share the info.

NFO billets are F/18 Hornet-Weapons System Officer(WSO), E/A-6B Prowler-Electric Counter Measure Officer (ECMO), E-2 Hawkeye-Air Intercept Controllers (AIC)3 seats on this bird and this is a MINI AWACS. P-3-Orion Naviagator (Nav), E-6 TACOMO-Naviagator (NAV).

From what I heard the Navy are not sending any newly trained NFO to S-3 pipeline, cause they are being phased out; The Tomcat and Prowler are next to be phased out. Those two are going to be replaced by the Super Hornet. So hopefully you might consider to "FLY NAVY". Hope that helps.

Fraz76

Dave_A

From NAMI
1.8 NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICER

Designated Same standards as SG1 except:

DVA
Correctable to 20/20-0 each eye (However, if AFVT or Goodlite letters are used a score of 7/10 on the 20/20 line constitutes meeting visual acuity requirements), glasses will be worn while flying (if > 20/100 carry extra pair).

REFRACTION: No limit.

DEPTH: Not Required

PHORIAS
No Obvious Heterotropia or Symptomatic Heterophoria (NOHOSH), Cover test must also be performed.

CONTACT LENSES
Permitted for Class 2 personnel if the local Flight Surgeon OKs it. A pair of spectacles correcting vision to 20/20-3/10 must be carried while flying. Visual acuity must be tested with and without contact lenses, as well as spectacle correction.

Applicants Same as SG1 except:

NVA/DVA
Correctable to 20/20-0 each eye (However, if AFVT or Goodlite letters are used a score of 7/10 on the 20/20 line constitutes meeting visual acuity requirements). Glasses will be worn while flying (if > 20/100 carry extra pair).

REFRACTION
Less than or equal to plus or minus 8.00 sphere in any meridian and less than or equal to minus 3.00 cylinder. No more than 3.50 anisometropia. No waiver.

SLE: Required

HEARING: SNA

What's the difference between 'Applicants' and 'Designated'?

As I read this, 'Applicants' (which, I assume, would be me) do need DP, but 'Designated' (I Assume this means 'allready in', and is referring to 'what it takes to stay a NFO') individuals don't...

fraz76

To All Hands
There is NO LIMIT for UNCORRECTED VISION (Vision must be corrected to 20/20) and there is also NO REQUIREMENT FOR DEPTH PERCEPTION for SNFO.

Dave you are assuming and you know what that means. It doesnt state anything about DP in the Applicants section from NAMI.

I have the regs from NAVMED P-117 Manual of Medical Department Chapter 15. Update Change 118 8/20/2002. Please also read for yourself by downloading ManMade Change 118 for Chapter 15
http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/instructions/default.asp?type=P

I hope I have cleared things up, I wish all the best of luck. Please pass infomation if can support it by written docs. If not you are passing misinformation. This happens to offen in the Navy.
Respectfully,
Fraz
PS It is a big file and SNA / SNFO is under Artice 15-65.

Dave_A

Ok...

That's great...

Now I only have to contend with a shortage of NFO slots and prepare for the (much) tougher PRT standards (a/o USAF, where the graduation PFT is about the same as the USN in-PRT. After all, when I was in college, I assumed I'd be at Maxwell right now (Would have been, too (from what I heard).), and so on...)...

Oh well, thanks guys...

spsiratt

24 April OCS
Hey, we AF types hate that damn bike too. The fat, heavy smokers always pass with flying colors while triathlete types fail. Speaking of which, I need to start training soon. Krispy Kreme, beer and cigarettes for the next 2 months. I'd take a run over that joke of a fitness test anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.