• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Fall Openings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikin

Hi,

I'm applying for the Naval Flight Officer program. I'm a senior in college and wanted to start OCS either in the summer or around September 2003. I've been hearing a lot of rumors about slots being already filled, but wanted to find out if someone knew for sure. I've submitted my application (ASTB, Recs, etc.) already. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to get back to you?

After that, if they say 'Yes', I would do the physical/fitness test.

Do they tell you your OCS start date when they finally say 'Yes' or do you have a choice?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers, Rikin

rhollin1

Check out this site for Application procedures. Click on the OCS prep link.

http://www.geocities.com/ronhollin/

ryan77

Hey Rikin,

Rumors about whether or not a particular designator is full are just that: rumors. It appears that opportunities are very very tight but you never know until you apply. Perhaps someone else could comment on how competitve SNFO is right now.

It really varies how long it takes for your application to be evaluated by the board(s). Some people hear back in a week or two, some have to wait for months.

I've heard the application process has changed, but when I did it the MEPS medical physical and the PRT (Physical Readiness Test) were part of the application. I don't know how things have changed.

If accepted, they will give you an OCS date. So your recruiter will call you and say "You've been offered an SNA/SNFO/AMDO/Supply/etc designator with an OCS report date of 15NOV03 (or whatever)". You can say "no thanks" or "hell yeah".

Hope this helps, Ryan

rhollin1

Good luck Rikin with being selected. I have heard (and this is only what I heard) is that getting in right now is very very difficult. Even if you were selected, you probably wouldn't ship out to OCS until Oct or Nov of '03. Maybe later. I'm right there with you though buddy. I just put my package in this week.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

aoconnor

What happens when you get the selection and say yes? In detail, do you goto the recruiting office and sign paperwork, swear in, etc. I am wonder what the procedures are. Also, afterwards, does the recruiter stay in good contact, or do you just wonder about until your OCS date.

Thanks in advanced.

-adam

ryan77

After I accepted, my recruiter had to prepare a lot of paperwork. So he had me come down several days later to his office and review/fill-out/sign all these documents. Mostly similiar stuff to what you do in the application. After you fill out the paperwork, you immediately swear in.

Some recruiting districts have regular DEP (Delayed Entry Program) meetings where everyone waiting to go to OCS in that district gets together to go over gouge, take PRTs, etc. I think everyone, regardless of if they have formal DEP meetings, has to make contact with their recruiter each month as well as do an official PRT every 6 months. If you're in BDCP, they're pretty strict about this. You'll get a spiral notebook containing everything you need to know about OCS.

elise22

Rikin,
I finished applying as an NFO in the begining of May and was sworn in by May 16, which was quick. Both the PRT and the MEPS, medical exam, were part of my application process. Although I was accepted quickly I did not get a start date for OCS until Feb.8,2003- 8 months later, so I think there is usually a pretty long wait.

Adam,
I have actully been basically "wondering around" since my swearing in, my recruiter has never contacted me and I wasn't informed of any DEP meetings, but I am not sure if that is normal after reading the replies in the forum. I also had to ask for a notebook containing information on OCS. This was all in the Los Angeles Recruiting Office, I guess they are all different.

Elise Grewell

Status
Not open for further replies.