• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New To Corpus, the Forum, and marriage to a Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

confudledone

My husband and I just moved to Corpus Christi from Pensacola and we've been here for almost a month. I can't seem to find anything interesting to do here. We'll only be here for six months, but it would still be nice to find some things to do until then. I've heard San Antonio might be fun. Any suggestions? :confused:

rare21

pilot
Contributor
San Antonio, Austin, South Padre Island (not this one the one more southern), Mexico, Houston, etc are great places to go while you're here in Texas. I'm not sure what exactly you want to find here but as far as cities go Corpus has about everything except an Alamo Drafthouse or real kicking downtown night life. I dont know if you just came from API (i'm assuming since you said Pensacola) or whiting. Still a few advanced guys i've talked to here that did Primary in Whiting say this is the "rock star" place to do primary (in comparison to the other places to do primary which are not very many choices). As far as sixth months go, i'd say plan for a bit longer.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
If you're hubby is into hunting, this is a good deal and hardly anyone knows about it.
The Navy owns 7000 acres 100 miles north of Corpus Christi (Escondido Ranch) and it is open to active and retired miltiary for hunting, fishing, camping, etc... you can bring guests.

You'll have free range of the place. The lodge sleeps 70 and each room has a set of bunk-beds a regular size bed, a fridge, dresser and costs $10 a night. You have to bring your own food and linen and there is a cook house with 4 huge BBQ pits, a small gas grill, a few more fridges, pic-nic tables, and other stuff. They also have a walk in game cooler.

I took my family out there for 2 weekends, it was a nice getaway, and a welcome break from primary.

Just thought I'd throw that out there....

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
E5B said:
If you're hubby is into hunting, this is a good deal and hardly anyone knows about it.
The Navy owns 7000 acres 100 miles north of Corpus Christi (Escondido Ranch) and it is open to active and retired miltiary for hunting, fishing, camping, etc... you can bring guests.

You'll have free range of the place. The lodge sleeps 70 and each room has a set of bunk-beds a regular size bed, a fridge, dresser and costs $10 a night. You have to bring your own food and linen and there is a cook house with 4 huge BBQ pits, a small gas grill, a few more fridges, pic-nic tables, and other stuff. They also have a walk in game cooler.

I took my family out there for 2 weekends, it was a nice getaway, and a welcome break from primary.

Just thought I'd throw that out there....

I'll be committing this one to memory. If I ever end up in Corpus, or I guess even Kingsville for that matter, I will definitely want to check this out. Thanks for posting.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm from Austin... I've been here almost all of my life and I love this place... I'm really going to miss it. :( There are tons of great things to do here. We have lots of beautiful areas you can hike through. You can come visit the state capital building! We have 6th street which can be a lot of fun and live music every night. We have botanical gardens, sculpture gardens and natural springs! There are tons of great restaurants. If you want a fabulous view over dinner, go to a place called The Oasis on Lake Travis. Austin is a lot of fun! San Antonio is pretty neat too b/c you have everything from the Riverwalk to Fiesta Texas. Houston has a lot of stuff also, but I've never been very impressed... I lived there for a few years when I was younger. South Padre Island is absolutely gorgeous and right now is a great time to go because the weather is wonderful, the spring-breakers are gone and the kids are still in school. I wish I could be more helpful about corpus, but I've never lived there... sorry!

~Crystal

vballindaytona1

SNA MERIDIAN
okay, gotta put in a plug for the hometown of san antonio. if you go to the right places, the city is great. Riverwalk is really touristy, but if youve never been its fun to go to. talk the boat ride on the riverwalk for 6 bucks a person, and they cart you around for an hour w/ a host talking about the history of downtown and pointing things out. Many bars down there, also the touristy things like planet hollywood, hard rock, hooters (for you single guys), etc. I love the city. Other places to visit are Sherlocks on 281, bout 10 minutes from downtown if you like live rock music (www.sherlockspub.com). Cowboys is fun, and huge and is one of my favorites, and they also have live country music, w/ huge acts that perform on various weekends, check out www.cowboysdancehall.com for scheds. they get acts like tracy lawrence, gary allan, reba, all the country stars. anther country bar is midnite rodeo if you like the cowboy scene. both bars have HUGE dance halls. If you like dueling piano bars, howl at the moon in downtown is a favorite. There is ALWAYS something going on in san antonio. actually that cowboys place is having a huge music fest for 3 days w/ different stages i think this weekend or next, w/ a few huge acts including fuel, and papa roach (awesome lineup for a country bar ;) .......For amusement parks you have sea world and fiesta texas, both about 10 minutes apart from each other, check for tix on base in corpus for discounts. you can usually get a season pass to fiesta for like 10 dollars more than a regular one day admission ticket, so everybody usually opts for that. i think round 45 bucks just off the top of my head. would be a good time for that considering they should be opening the water park if they haven't already. If you haven't been to san antonio, we have a huge tower in the middle of downtown called the tower of americas. There is a restaurant at the top of it, and the thing rotates 360 degrees every hour, so if you eat there you can usually see the entire town because every seat is by a window, i would say about 20 bucks a plate, but its a good time if you haven't done it. S.A. is a big stop for any concert tour, so you can usually catch them. Its actually the 7th or 8th biggest city in the United States, so there is plenty to do. Oh ya, Austin rocks too ;)

Jonathan

AndysGirl

SNA Wife
I have been in Corpus for about three and a half months. As far as things to do here, there aren't too many.

You can go to the Lexington, which is an "antique" aircraft carrier and the Texas State Aquarium. Both of those are downtown, right next to each other. I know that they have a botanical garden, but I haven't been to it.

And of course, there is always the beach! You got here at the perfect time...summer :icon_smil ! People surf, windsurf and kite-boarding, which is a surfing/parasailing type activity. It looks pretty fun! I don't know how much lessons cost, but it would be a great way to spend your weekends and weekdays for that matter!

Like everyone has stated above, you are close enough to big cities to have some pretty fun weekend getaways!

Good luck here in Corpus, I have certainly enjoyed my time!

Rebecca

confudledone

rare21 said:
San Antonio, Austin, South Padre Island (not this one the one more southern), Mexico, Houston, etc are great places to go while you're here in Texas. I'm not sure what exactly you want to find here but as far as cities go Corpus has about everything except an Alamo Drafthouse or real kicking downtown night life. I dont know if you just came from API (i'm assuming since you said Pensacola) or whiting. Still a few advanced guys i've talked to here that did Primary in Whiting say this is the "rock star" place to do primary (in comparison to the other places to do primary which are not very many choices). As far as sixth months go, i'd say plan for a bit longer.

Actually, he's here for advanced. He did API and Primary in Pensacola. His winging date is in September so I'm pretty confident we wont be here too long, right?? I hope!

rare21

pilot
Contributor
If he's here for advanced it seems like he'll be out of here within or less than 6 months from what i've heard. As far as primary in Pensacola do you mean Whiting Field?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
no im in Corpus. I was the other way around...wasnt very impressed with Florida

confudledone

I lived in Pensacola almost all of my life. My dad retired from the Navy there when I was in 5th grade, but we had been stationed there when I was in kindergarten and first. I loved it there, but at the same time hated it. It's just one of those places. It's hard to get away from if you've lived there for very long. What didn't you like. The beaches definately don't compare!

Status
Not open for further replies.