• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New to Airwarriors

Hey guys,
Ive been reading the site for around a month and I have a few questions.

How long does the whole application process take from start to finish. I know this would depend on how quickly I do alot of things but what is a realistic usual timeline?

Also, last winter I took a quarter off to do an internship at a local company(my major is Mechanical Engineering) and am taking fall quarter off to go back to that company. Is this looked down upon by the navy? The experience I get there is great if I wanted to get a job as a civilian but it would not be very useful in the navy.

Thanks and Im sure Ill have alot more questions for some of you as I work on getting my packet together.
-Eric Reno

nugget61

pilot
Welcome, the folks here are full of good info so they should be able to answer most of your questions.
My OR told me that he could have me from nothing to package submitted in 2 months - seems a little fast but I'm still on course for that. Your mileage may vary.
As for the coop, mine didn't affect me negatively, dunno if it is a positive or not yet.
Have you gotten in touch with a recruiter yet? They can help you a lot with your questions too.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I've been working on my since around late May early June. A lot of it is filling out the paperwork, getting medical, scheduling for your PRT and such. If you have a job or a long distance from your recruiter it can take some time. I'd say though that if you chugged through and focused on it all the time you could get it done in about 2-3 months. Taking the ASTB is a big thing too. Studying for it for me took some time.

I'll probably be up for September I hope. If you set your mind and don't procrastinate I'm sure you can speed through the process on your side of the court. Good luck.

Edit: Again I think scheduling has been the biggest hurdle for me in the process.

I left a message Friday at the number on the navy website. It wasnt a recruiter but I am guessing they will just tell me which one is closest to me.

Is there a list of where to find officer recruiters in my area or should I just go through the number on the navy website?

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
So you are in Ohio eh? What city? The NRD Ohio is located in Columbus, so if you are in the area or willing to drive I can help you out with getting in contact with a recruiter.

Nick

Yeah I go to Ohio State and live around the campus area.
Are the districts the same for officer and enlisted?

And yes if you have the phone number for the officer recruiter in the area that would be awesome.

Lobster

As Nugget said, the time to completion might vary, I know that I started working on mine at the end of my freshman year and just submitted it last month. Obviously I took my sweet time with it because I had it, your OR will give you an honest answer as to how long it should take. I wouldn't worry about the time off from school thing, I spent three years in Canada after high school before I went to college, if anything it looks better. I'm sure it will be fine. Good Luck!

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I started in March sometime and swore in recently. Your mileage may vary. It depends on way too many factors.

As far as the taking quarters off stuff goes, that might be a problem. You're supposed to be a full time student and it's key that you graduate on time. Hopefully one of the people with recruiting experience can say for sure on that.

Average time to completion

Good luck on the process. The average time it takes is around 2 months to submit and 3 months to hear a decision. This time depends upon you. Finish up your app, security clearance in a timely manner and be ready to take the ASTB/PRT. I've seen kids go through the process in 4 weeks. I've seen others take 40 weeks. If you need some reference material to get you started, check out http://www.navy-officer.com, this has a lot of materials to help get you started.