• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New IP Qualification Instruction

For IP(1825), the FY-20 O4 board looks great: 21 out of 23 selected in zone and 1 out of 5 above zone. Now for Intel(1835) it's 52 out of 107 and 20 out of 74 respectively. I could see how a few people stopped breathing so they got passed over in IP. But Intel? It looks like there was actually a competition.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You just have to be breathing to make O4 in SELRES.
Uh, no. Not any more. I know a few 1835/Intel folks who have 2xFOS for O4 and retiring as O3's. All of these folks MOB'd.

IP stats have excellent stats to O5 and is why I changed to IP from Intel few years back. I even know an IP who 2xFOS on active duty as an IP then came to the Reserve and made O4 on their first shot. Nucking Futz.

Reserve URL stats are about as sh*tty as 1835.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
So, does the JPME make any difference for O4 boards on the reserve side?
Of course it does, but it will not fix a poor record. If you do not show performance while in a group (i.e., the pack), MOB's and JMPE are not going to do sh*t for you. The boards see right through it. Some other nuggets:
  • Do not homestead in the same unit more than 2 tours. During these two tours you had better show increasing performance and taking on jobs that matter to the being a Naval Officer (Admin Officer, Training Officer, Operations Officer, security manager, or the like)
  • Go to a unit outside your local area to gain varying experience. I purposely traveled on my own dime to two different units (numbered fleet and a syscom) over two different tours before I took a local billet
  • Stop homesteading in the same community. I know 1835 folks who have been homesteading in the same community (SOCEUR type units in one case, HUMINT related in another) for years and years. If that's your thing then OK just be aware that you will get passed over. The Navy wants to see that you are performing that 1835 job in varying roles and communities. Sure, due a HUMINT type tour, then go do an intel cyber type role, then go do an opintel type role. Big f*cking deal if you are an 1835 HUMINT pro. The Navy does not care and frankly, anyone would be good at something if they do it long enough, especially in the Reserve
  • Volunteer for the hard jobs nobody wants: admin, training, security, etc. If you don't do I, I will be standing behind you to do it. If you are in a unit that works in a SCIF and are too junior for admin or other, volunteer to be the unit security manager. People may laugh at you. F*ck'em because you'll be laughing at them when you are walking around with gold oak leaves
  • Master Naval administration (performance evaluation instruction, relevant MILPERSMAN instructions, etc.). Learn how to use NAVFIT and write FITREPs, the FITREP schedule, process. Learn how to write a Naval letter, etc.
  • Some unit CO's get tracked on contributory support (ie, helping active component). Good example is SPAWAR (or now NAVWAR) Reserve Program. If this is the case and you are the only one not supporting the active component, then start supporting. See next bullet
  • Choose your units wisely. As in the above example, if you are busy and cannot support FLEX drilling or going on orders, then do not go to a unit that is a FLEX drill unit that has members going on orders. When selecting billets, get the POC for the unit and pick up the phone and call so you can ask about OPTEMPO, expectations, etc
BT

You all really need to volunteer to be an assistant recorder on the next O4 selection board. You will learn a ton. I did my first one when I was an Ensign and it was eye opening. As an 1835 at the time, I helped scrub the records of all Reserve 1835's who were up for O4. I also got to sit in on the voting. Again, it was eye opening how many CO's write sh*t FITREPs.

Promotion Board presentation by a retired Captain I served with.

Interested in Serving on a Reserve Promotion Board

FY-21 Board Schedule (the next O4 board is 13-Apr-20)

Board Support

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Although it's not required, how are Reservists supposed to meet the AQ requirements in the IW Integration and 4 star HQ tour sections?
How? They'll have to drill or go on orders. When I did my tour at C10F I had to pay out of pocket to travel to/from home to/from drill. Yes, I intentionally picked that unit. It was worth as I picked up O4 on the first go around.

We currently have 217 IP's from O1 - O6. Only 9 of 14 O6's have the advanced qual.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
  • Do not homestead in the same unit more than 2 tours. During these two tours you had better show increasing performance and taking on jobs that matter to the being a Naval Officer (Admin Officer, Training Officer, Operations Officer, security manager, or the like)
  • Go to a unit outside your local area to gain varying experience. I purposely traveled on my own dime to two different units (numbered fleet and a syscom) over two different tours before I took a local billet

Aren’t reserve units scattered across the country so that people can drill locally? Commuting (especially on your own dime) for your part time job seems contrary to the concept of the reserves.

I mention this because USMCR also seems to fundamentally misunderstand reservists and wants to treat them like AD.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Aren’t reserve units scattered across the country so that people can drill locally?
Yes, they are scattered. In my case, there is only a single unit near me with a single IP billet. No way I could drill with that same unit in perpetuity. Nearest set of other units that have billets for me are at least four hours drive away.

The sad reality is that people who are willing and able to travel to units outside their local area (out of state) are going to promote.

Commuting (especially on your own dime) for your part time job seems contrary to the concept of the reserves.
Bingo... The current Navy Reserve has an identity crises. Strategic versus Operational Reserve. They advertise the former, but in reality treat us like the latter, especially when abusing the current mobilization authorities for the last 18 years.

Last edited: