• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
What's inside the tailboom? Empty space or something else? It seems very thick- not a good or a bad thing, I'm just commenting on the proportions.

Definitely agree on the kudos for Bell for trying this.

Let me think of the laundry list of anti-torque solutions other than Igor's variable pitch tail rotor: tandem rotors (Piasecki), coaxial main rotors, side-by-side rotors/tiltrotor, variable pitch fenestron, NOTAR, now this electric fenestron (single or multi). Did I miss any big ones?

I wonder what the DA was when the picture was taken? Montreal can get pretty chilly in February!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Let me think of the laundry list of anti-torque solutions other than Igor's variable pitch tail rotor: tandem rotors (Piasecki), coaxial main rotors, side-by-side rotors/tiltrotor, variable pitch fenestron, NOTAR, now this electric fenestron (single or multi). Did I miss any big ones?

Tip Drive rotor system (no heavy transmission required)

Hiller YH-32 Hornet
It was a small and unique design because it was powered by two Hiller 8RJ2B ramjet engines mounted on the rotor blade tips which weigh 13lbs each and deliver an equivalent of 45 h.p. for a total of 90 h.p.

Hughes XH-17
The XH-17, which had a two-bladed main rotor system with a diameter of 134 feet (41 m), still holds the world record for flying with the largest rotor system.
Two cars parked beneath the XH-17 give a sense of scale.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only since this has been the thread for posts about the industry in general, this will make a lot of people very happy. Tilton steps down.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Nice video by an Army pilot training class covering the full range of Army aviation training aircraft.

What I learned and did not realize is the Army has adopted the Grob G120TP airplane for primary fixed wing/transition training. Cool aircraft. Operated under contract by CAE.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Nice video by an Army pilot training class covering the full range of Army aviation training aircraft.

What I learned and did not realize is the Army has adopted the Grob G120TP airplane for primary fixed wing/transition training. Cool aircraft. Operated under contract by CAE.

Flying around Lower Alabama looks a lot like flying around pan-handle Florida!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Nice video of the TH-73 doing a full auto to touchdown - in addition, video is full 360 VR so you can drag around and see the cabin as well as nice views of panel and cockpit configuration...you can even hear than awful "grrrrrr crrrkkkk" sound as the skids slide against the asphalt on touchdown.