• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
And cue contract protest.
Well, I am a little upset they didn’t consider the Griz-O-Matic flight training system but maybe they’ll sell me one of the helicopters I flew back in 1987!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Well, I am a little upset they didn’t consider the Griz-O-Matic/
source.gif

TexasForever

pilot
So very happy they went with anybody but Bell. I have yet to have heard a good story coming from interactions with Bell. I know someone who used to be acquisitions at one of their factories and they told me that unofficial company policy regarding common parts between different service aircraft was to give all the bad parts to the Marines. This is also a fresh design that would make me want to come back to fly it... but damn if it doesn't feel good that Bell didn't get it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'll be curious if the TH-119/TH-73 has "solved" the 100-hour tail-paddle inspection. That will be fun.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'll be curious if the TH-119/TH-73 has "solved" the 100-hour tail-paddle inspection. That will be fun.
What is a ”tail paddle” and what is the inspection about?

I suspect this was all thought though thoroughly. We need Leonardo as part of the industrial base for vertical flight - this was a smart choice now in hindsight.

A 2P from my HAC cruise is the lead on this - great guy - and they hired a bunch of Navy TPS grad helo folks to deliver the offering. Culturally Leonardo is very aligned to CNATRA and NAVAIR while at the same time pushing the boundaries to improve the training experience. I’ve heard the draft syllabus will have SNA’s flying from either seat and real emphasis on PF/PM type CRM.

Also heard the aircraft did extremely well in power off landing regime on turf and pavement.

This isn’t about any one company losing - Bell has plenty of work, so does Airbus. Army is doubling don on UH-72/H145 as primary training platform.

Also as an anecdote of the pilot shortage, URS in Fort Rucker is hiring non-military helo CFI’s to teach Army primary training - they are unable to recruit qualified military trained folks (probably to all the RTP programs).

Good times.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What is a ”tail paddle” and what is the inspection about?

Apparently they have to remove the tail rotor every 100 hours for inspection. A buddy of mine flies Koalas out west and I visited him at work during the holidays. He also isn't too happy with its power, although he's starting at a 5K DA. There were some other interesting aero things he was telling me, but I'm guessing a lot of that won't be an issue for the Navy since they'll have a full 4-axis system.

Also as an anecdote of the pilot shortage, URS in Fort Rucker is hiring non-military helo CFI’s to teach Army primary training - they are unable to recruit qualified military trained folks (probably to all the RTP programs).

Also, it's located in Enterprise. That's what keeps me from getting too interested. They were also hiring for the AF a couple of months ago, which seemed like it might be a better gig, as you get to play AF instead of silly Army games. But still...Enterprise.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
So very happy they went with anybody but Bell. I have yet to have heard a good story coming from interactions with Bell. I know someone who used to be acquisitions at one of their factories and they told me that unofficial company policy regarding common parts between different service aircraft was to give all the bad parts to the Marines. This is also a fresh design that would make me want to come back to fly it... but damn if it doesn't feel good that Bell didn't get it.

You actually believed that story?

What common parts would those be? How exactly would that work? Parts are either RFI or they aren’t.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Hopefully the anthro numbers can be changed for the new bird. No idea if it’s more accommodating for us tall boys.
AT 6'4" I was wavered for butt-knee length in the TH-57 - what a pain! I sat in the TH-119/TH-73 production representative aircraft at Heli-Expo and was pleased with the ergonomics.